Fitbit Charge HR says I burned over 1200 cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    OP there are several different numbers you might be looking at so let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.

First, FitBit measures your total calories burned which is the sum of your BMR (what you would burn if you were in a coma essentially), your regular activity (all the steps you take in a day around your house, running errands, etc) and your exercise (elliptical, purposeful walks, etc). That total calories burned from Fitbit is a decent estimate of your TDEE or your maintenance calories.

MFP has set you a calorie goal which is based on what it thinks your BMR plus your regular activity is (those two together are called NEAT) and then gives you a deficit from that. If you exercise, or are just more active than what MFP thinks you should be based on the stats you provided, you get an exercise adjustment from FitBit. That's the difference between what MFP thought you would do and what FitBit says you actually did, but allowing for your deficit too.

So when you said Fitbit says you burned 1200, was that a number you saw on FitBit, and it was your total cals burned, or was it your exercise adjustment on MFP?

For example, MFP thinks my maintenance cals are 1850. My FitBit says yesterday I burned 2015 cals, so my exercise adjustment was 165 cals because I burned more than MFP thought I would. I have my activity level set to active since I average 15K steps/day, so my adjustments are actually smaller than if you are set at sedentary and rack up a lot of steps or do a lot of extra exercise.

I have MFP set to sedentary because I am not active everyday and I have a desk job. And the 1200 was what I saw on MFP. 500 for elliptical is what I saw on my Fitbit.

So I guess the other 700 is what I would burn normally everyday?

No, what you are seeing on MFP is the adjustment above what it thought you would burn at a sedentary, non exercise level and what you actually burned according to FitBit. Even with a desk job, if you are getting that many steps and that big of an adjustment it is likely that you should raise your activity level. I was set at sedentary too when I first got my FitBit for those same reasons but when my exercise adjustments were so high, I got good advice on here that averaging 8000 or more steps a day isn't sedentary. I changed mine to lightly active, and now active. That gave me more calories in my goal from MFP and then the exercise adjustments were smaller and more representative of my actual exercise.

I think I remember you from a thread the other day, if I recall correctly, aren't you currently set to 1200 and losing more than 2 lbs/week? This FitBit discussion is confirming, if that's the case, you really do have your calories set too low. How long have you had the Charge and what does FitBit say your average total calorie burn is?

Just to note, if you do change your activity level on MFP, change it to something similar on FitBit.

@zyxst - Fitbit doesn't have an activity level setting.
    If you are talking about making sure the calories it says you can eat reports similar to MFP, then they want to make sure their rate of loss is set to the same thing.

Whatever this is, try to match it to MFP.
    c72yvxxnacrw.png
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OP there are several different numbers you might be looking at so let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.

First, FitBit measures your total calories burned which is the sum of your BMR (what you would burn if you were in a coma essentially), your regular activity (all the steps you take in a day around your house, running errands, etc) and your exercise (elliptical, purposeful walks, etc). That total calories burned from Fitbit is a decent estimate of your TDEE or your maintenance calories.

MFP has set you a calorie goal which is based on what it thinks your BMR plus your regular activity is (those two together are called NEAT) and then gives you a deficit from that. If you exercise, or are just more active than what MFP thinks you should be based on the stats you provided, you get an exercise adjustment from FitBit. That's the difference between what MFP thought you would do and what FitBit says you actually did, but allowing for your deficit too.

So when you said Fitbit says you burned 1200, was that a number you saw on FitBit, and it was your total cals burned, or was it your exercise adjustment on MFP?

For example, MFP thinks my maintenance cals are 1850. My FitBit says yesterday I burned 2015 cals, so my exercise adjustment was 165 cals because I burned more than MFP thought I would. I have my activity level set to active since I average 15K steps/day, so my adjustments are actually smaller than if you are set at sedentary and rack up a lot of steps or do a lot of extra exercise.

I have MFP set to sedentary because I am not active everyday and I have a desk job. And the 1200 was what I saw on MFP. 500 for elliptical is what I saw on my Fitbit.

So I guess the other 700 is what I would burn normally everyday?

No, what you are seeing on MFP is the adjustment above what it thought you would burn at a sedentary, non exercise level and what you actually burned according to FitBit. Even with a desk job, if you are getting that many steps and that big of an adjustment it is likely that you should raise your activity level. I was set at sedentary too when I first got my FitBit for those same reasons but when my exercise adjustments were so high, I got good advice on here that averaging 8000 or more steps a day isn't sedentary. I changed mine to lightly active, and now active. That gave me more calories in my goal from MFP and then the exercise adjustments were smaller and more representative of my actual exercise.

I think I remember you from a thread the other day, if I recall correctly, aren't you currently set to 1200 and losing more than 2 lbs/week? This FitBit discussion is confirming, if that's the case, you really do have your calories set too low. How long have you had the Charge and what does FitBit say your average total calorie burn is?

I have had the Fitbit for 3 months and up until June used it consistently. I am just now starting back using it again. I only exercise 2-3x out of the week. Mostly weekends as I work a lot on weekdays.

I average maybe 3000 or 4000 steps on days I don't workout or go for a walk after work. So that's why I set it to sedentary.
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Do you work out at least 4x a week? If so, you may want to change your status to lightly active. Sedentary is 3000 steps or less and you seem to do more than that.

For the most part I am sedentary. Only on most weekends do I burn more because I have a bit more time to workout and walk.

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Do you work out at least 4x a week? If so, you may want to change your status to lightly active. Sedentary is 3000 steps or less and you seem to do more than that.

For the most part I am sedentary. Only on most weekends do I burn more because I have a bit more time to workout and walk.

Try changing it to lightly active and see if that helps.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    can somebody post that chart that lists your activity level per number of steps?

@nosebag1212

from this link:

http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/locke122004.htm

Activity Classification Based on Pedometer Steps for Healthy Adults

1. Sedentary Lifestyle Index: Under 5000 steps per day is an indicator of being inactive and sitting too much, which raises health risks.

2. Low Active: 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered low active. The average American walks 5900 to 6900 steps per day, so the majority are low active.

3. Somewhat Active: 7,500-9,999 steps/day likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered somewhat active.

4. Active: 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active. This makes it a good daily goal for healthy people who want a quick indicator they are getting in their daily exercise.

5. Highly Active: Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I average around 20,000 steps a day and still have mfp set to sedentary because i always lost at least a couple hundred calories from the night before to the next morning at L. active.
    I still lose some now, but no where near as many as when i i had it set to lightly active.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I average around 20,000 steps a day and still have mfp set to sedentary because i always lost at least a couple hundred calories from the night before to the next morning at L. active.
    I still lose some now, but no where near as many as when i i had it set to lightly active.

Pretty much same here.

I average 20,000 steps a day and have MFP set to sedentary (with negative adjustments enabled).

I don't want to be in the red when I wake up! :smile:

What's your Fitbit step goal, Christine? I have mine at 12,500 (highly active) which is what I aim for on my days off.
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Pretty much same here.

I average 20,000 steps a day and have MFP set to sedentary (with negative adjustments enabled).

What's your Fitbit step goal, Christine? I have mine at 12,500 (highly active) which is what I aim for on my days off.

My fitbit step goal is set at 20,000.
    And i agree with being in the red in the morning, i never really knew what i was going to wake up to, red or green!

ETA: I don't understand how people who are set to Active and get less steps than me deal with this, unless they are running around til midnight. I'm usually in bed by 7-730 so this could be a reason why i lose so many calories, but should that matter if my activity level is set correctly?? (This has been a question I've been wanting to ask for ages)

• Orphia
    Options

Pretty much same here.

And i agree with being in the red in the morning, i never really knew what i was going to wake up to, red or green!

ETA: I don't understand how people who are set to Active and get less steps than me deal with this, unless they are running around til midnight. I'm usually in bed by 7-730 so this could be a reason why i lose so many calories, but should that matter if my activity level is set correctly?? (This has been a question I've been wanting to ask for ages)

Hahaha, I go to bed at that time too! Snap!

Hmm, that could be it about those people staying up late, or maybe those people who are set to active weigh more and thus burn more calories per steps. Not sure if that's what you're asking.

I get up between 5am and 6am so I'm burning calories earlier than most people but not late in the day so it evens out.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Pretty much same here.

Hahaha, I go to bed at that time too! Snap!

Hmm, that could be it about those people staying up late, or maybe those people who are set to active weigh more and thus burn more calories per steps. Not sure if that's what you're asking.

I get up between 5am and 6am so I'm burning calories earlier than most people but not late in the day so it evens out.

Yep, i think it has to be they stay up late. The women here who are set at active are mostly shorter and weigh less than me, so that can't be it.

And hallabloodyluja, I have finally found someone who goes to bed the same time as me. I go in at 7 to watch SVU and am usually asleep by the time it's finished at 8 lol I get up at 5am too.

• Orphia
    Options
    Hahaha, cheers, @Christine_72 !
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    How many calories Fitbit credits you with depends very much on weight and how active you are. When I was at my biggest (290lb) I could easily get 1000 Calories extra for around 12000 steps, now (199lb) I have to take 25000 steps to get those same 1000 Calories. I'll then get even more Calories credited if I go to the gym, or am very active at home (earned a good few for deep cleaning the kitchen).

I've set my activity level as sedentary, generally start the day at -100 Calories available and end it with 2000+ ate and still within goal range.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I never understood these dramatic calorie drops that people get at the end of the day with their Fitbits. I get 15 to 20K steps per day, 5'3" and 108 pounds, and I set myself as Sedentary both on here and on the Fitbit food plan. I'm up at 5 am every morning and in bed by 8 pm every night; my calorie amount doesn't decrease at all at the end of the night and if it does, it can't be more than 10 calories because I never notice it. I start my day with a -50 adjustment and end it with a 500 to 800 adjustment on average. Maybe it's happening because other people have themselves set to the "Personalized" setting on the Fitbit food plan?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Pretty much same here.

I'm set to active, average about 14k steps/day, and I go to bed usually between 10:30-11:00 pm.
    My adjustment goes down anywhere from 25-75 cals from when I close my diary and go to bed to when I wake up the next morning. It used to bother me, but now I just expect it, I've had my FitBit long enough to just understand that this is going to happen because I'm slowing down. I account for it and usually try to leave 100 or so cals left in my day. I also have negative adjustments enabled so when I start my day around 6am I am already 150 in the red for the day but that goes away pretty quickly as I work out in the mornings.

Does that answer your question?
  • Christine_72
    Options

Pretty much same here.

I'm set to active, average about 14k steps/day, and I go to bed usually between 10:30-11:00 pm.
    My adjustment goes down anywhere from 25-75 cals from when I close my diary and go to bed to when I wake up the next morning. It used to bother me, but now I just expect it, I've had my FitBit long enough to just understand that this is going to happen because I'm slowing down. I account for it and usually try to leave 100 or so cals left in my day. I also have negative adjustments enabled so when I start my day around 6am I am already 150 in the red for the day but that goes away pretty quickly as I work out in the mornings.

Does that answer your question?

Yes it does.
    I go to bed early and my activity level drops way down to sedentary at around 4:30ishpm everyday, which is probably why i lose so many calories. Waking up in the red didn't bother me, even at sedentary i'm -86 this morning.