OMG, Mac & Cheese is EVIL!

Options
2»

Replies

• MadTurtle
    Options
    Stouffer.s makes a 12oz. box that you can keep in the freezer for just such emergencies. It is 2 servings though. I recommend splitting it with your significant other or the dog! Both will thank you :laugh:
    It is 340 calories a serving and very satisfying
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Well the noodles were cooked, just the butter and milk hadn't been added yet.

So tell me if I'm right. I scooped 1 and a half cups of cooked macaroni into my bowl. this means I ate 12 oz of mac n cheese.

So if a serving size is 2.5 oz, I take 12 oz and divide by 2.5 to get how many servings I had, which put me at 4.8 servings. Each serving has 260 calories in it, so I multiply 260 (calories per serving) by 4.8 (servings) and get 1248 calories, not including the 2 tbsps of milk and the 1 tbsp of margarine I used to prepare it. I added those separately.

Ok. try this and see if this works out.

2.5oz. of uncooked noodles is = 1 cup of cooked noodles

you had 1 1/2 cooked noodles

take 2.5/.5=.5

total that you had was 3 oz of uncooked noodles which is = to your 1 1/2 cup of cooked pasta.

Check that for your calorie intake on the food menu. I could be wrong...can anyone else double check my math here.

1/2 of 2.5 is 1.25, so it would be 3.75 oz of uncooked macaroni (1.5 servings of unprepared noodles). So just take the unprepared values and multiply by 1.5 and you should get the correct numbers.... then you can add your milk and butter values for the final counts. Hope this helps!
  • rmarlow
    rmarlow Posts: 64
    Options
    Well the noodles were cooked, just the butter and milk hadn't been added yet.

So tell me if I'm right. I scooped 1 and a half cups of cooked macaroni into my bowl. this means I ate 12 oz of mac n cheese.

So if a serving size is 2.5 oz, I take 12 oz and divide by 2.5 to get how many servings I had, which put me at 4.8 servings. Each serving has 260 calories in it, so I multiply 260 (calories per serving) by 4.8 (servings) and get 1248 calories, not including the 2 tbsps of milk and the 1 tbsp of margarine I used to prepare it. I added those separately.

Ok. try this and see if this works out.

2.5oz. of uncooked noodles is = 1 cup of cooked noodles

you had 1 1/2 cooked noodles

take 2.5/.5=.5

total that you had was 3 oz of uncooked noodles which is = to your 1 1/2 cup of cooked pasta.

Check that for your calorie intake on the food menu. I could be wrong...can anyone else double check my math here.

1/2 of 2.5 is 1.25, so it would be 3.75 oz of uncooked macaroni (1.5 servings of unprepared noodles). So just take the unprepared values and multiply by 1.5 and you should get the correct numbers.... then you can add your milk and butter values for the final counts. Hope this helps!

Thanks, I figured out that I divided wrong once I posted and promptly corrected. Other than that, it looks like we both came up with the same calculations.
  • RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ok, so basically I should be saying I ate one and a half cups of macaroni then right? I never knew the box counted the unprepared as dry noodles, I thought it was just before the other ingredients were added. I'm just going to go by the prepared version because I have no clue how much that powdered cheese is, so I'm not going to make things more complicated by adding the ingredients separately.

That makes 1.5 cups of prepared macaroni & cheese, 615 calories, which I can more than live with, I've been struggling to eat all of my calories on my days I work out as it is, which is why I figured I could have some mac n cheese for lunch.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Yes, count the 1 1/2 cups.
    Don't make this harder on you then it needs to be.
    The database is loaded with foods and sometimes it's easier to use.
    Make sure you read the food labels really close, I have learned they can be tricky at times.
  • rmarlow
    rmarlow Posts: 64
    Options
    Without having a box right in front of me to give you a proper I would say yes...go with what you said. I only figured that you really only ate anywhere between300-500 calories. But like I said...w/o a box being in front of me it's hard to say. Don't sweat it. You definitely didn't eat anywhere close to 1000 calories off your mac n cheese. Unless you decided to eat the whole box.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Mac & Cheese Lovers - See here:

http://www.fibergourmet.com/mac.aspx

Its delicious too. :tongue: I swear by Fiber Gourmet pasta. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • RKA625
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I was SO lost, lol. I try and use the stuff in the database, but more than a few times, I've noticed things were entered wrong, so I am a bit apprehensive about using them without checking.

So yeah, now I still have 1,094 calories to eat because of my exercise calories.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Nothin wrong with double checking, I have run into the same issue.
    You don't want to discourage yourself though either (especially if you are not a math person).

So, no worries... you can still eat today...more then lettuce. :flowerforyou:
  • RKA625
    Options
    lol, thanks. yeah I am not a very good math person. This is probably the most math than I've done daily since high school, dividing cups into tbsp's such. lol. I use this website to help convert amounts though.

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

I'm glad you guys helped me figure it out, because I would have ended up way under my daily calories.

And thanks for the recommendations, Diet49 and allenhm, I'll check out those brands of macaroni & cheese.
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This is making my brain hurt...:huh: lol..imma gonna go have some mac and cheese, and read it again :laugh:
  • RKA625
    Options
    ^ lol, basically I didn't realize 2.5 oz of uncooked macaroni = 1 cup of cooked macaroni, so this whole time, I could have just entered 1.5 cups and have been done with it. But I was making it complicated.
  • RKA625
    Options
    Oh and I just realized this is in the wrong section! Today is NOT my day! lol. I hope someone can move it to the right spot.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ok, so basically I should be saying I ate one and a half cups of macaroni then right? I never knew the box counted the unprepared as dry noodles, I thought it was just before the other ingredients were added. I'm just going to go by the prepared version because I have no clue how much that powdered cheese is, so I'm not going to make things more complicated by adding the ingredients separately.

That makes 1.5 cups of prepared macaroni & cheese, 615 calories, which I can more than live with, I've been struggling to eat all of my calories on my days I work out as it is, which is why I figured I could have some mac n cheese for lunch.

You can keep in the back of your mind that you probably had less than this because you didn't use the amount of margarine and milk that the box called for. Way better than over 1000 cals!!!!:flowerforyou: