Fighting with myself.

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
I haven't lost anything in a month. Before that I wasn't really working out and I was losing and then stopped... so I added in exercise, at least 30minutes of usually some kind of circuit training. I did Level 1 of 30DS and lost 6inches and 3lb... I have since gained .5lb and haven't lost any more inches. I haven't done 30DS for a week, I've been doing other things (cardio dvds, bellydancing, basically anything I can get in while my daughter's napping). I'm convinced that not eating is the only thing that has ever worked for me. By not eating, I mean like.. a 90calorie granola bar a day, if that because this whole exercising thing isn't even making a dent. On one hand, I know I was miserable after I lost 110lb because of how I did it and my mindset during and after. On the other... I just want the weight off again. I want it gone, I'm going crazy waking up every morning with this lard hanging off of me.
Something needs to happen. Something needs to change.

Sorry :(

Replies

• Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Eating only 90 cal a day? Hunny your body is starving. It doesn't have food to burn off that extra weight you're wanting it to burn. :(
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    Maybe see a nutritionist or counselor. That just can't be right, and you need to be healthy for your family, dear girl. Please don't resort to starving yourself. It can rob you of what you want most, your health. Take care.
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You should never apologize for expressing how you feel! I hope you find your happy, healthy place.
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some motivation. I was getting very frustrated and I found that daily goals helped. Even the smallest thing. Today my goal is to drink all my water I should. It shifts the focus.

Dont starve yourself it wont work out in the end. Keep active, let your body adjust to your new lifestyle. You can do this and you are worth it, you are worth doing it the right way. Only you can find your happy place.

If I can help with some encouragment I would be happy to!!
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as her! I have been working my butt off just to see no weight or inches off in over a month!

I'm hoping that for both of us, we are just building muscle right now, and soon it will start to eat off some of the weight.
  • meagmatt
    meagmatt Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are struggling. I had a similar problem for about 3 weeks-then a dramatic drop. Some people just go in spurts. That being said-a friendly visit to your doctor may be good for you mentally. They can check your thyroid-that really messes some women up.

If things hadn't started moving I was going to get a referral to a nutritionist. The great thing about MFP is your food diary already exists! You just have to print it out and take it in.

Don't give up. Don't starve yourself, either. Sounds like you have a wee one and they need a healthy, happy mom for a long, long time!
  • kgs1292
    kgs1292 Posts: 4
    Options
    Definitly see a nutrionalist. I did, and she set me straight. Every day for me is a struggle because I was always like "Idk why I;m not losing weight, I hardly eat." Then the nutrionalist had me do a food journal and I was shocked at what I was eating and not realizing it. It may not have been alot but it was junk. Plus she said I was starving my body so it was hording what little weight I had so I wasn't losing it. Always remember the road to happiness is always a struggle because its worth fighting for. The easy way out is jus that: Easy and not worth it in the end. Plus your body hits a plateu after awhile and you have to dig deeper and diet harder and excercise just a little bit more to get over that hump. You can do it , we are all rooting for you. :)
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Likewise.....for the last ten years the ONLY way I ever lost weight....was from starving.....and when I say starve I mean I wouldn't eat for up to 5 days.....JUST a little water.... Now I am trying to do it the right way and I will lose in the beginning of the week only to gain what I lost back at the end of the week....and if I eat my exercise calories back in I GAIN!!???.... Then after doing good M-F of staying at 1200 calories or just a smidge under the weekend comes and I eat like a pig. So what ever progress I have made is gone... Basically....I like the way processed food tastes WAY more than vegetables and healthy stuff. And I like larger portions... I feel like I am just Doomed to fail.... Like it a cycle of lose it gain it lose it gain it.... I'm trying really hard to re-train my brain to like healthy stuff and considering how I used to eat I have made huge improvements....
    I am in the save boat tho....starve to lose cuz that's the only thing that seems to work... :-( I ordered a BodyBugg so hopefully that will come in soon and give me the motivation I need. I hate this site is working for everyone but me.(and a few others like me)
  • megz4987
    Options
    I was referred to a nutritionist when I was pregnant because I was gaining too much. I was gaining too much because before I got pregnant, I wasn't eating enough and then my mind shifted importance, my babys health was more important. I ate when I was hungry and I ate what didn't make me nauseas (taco bell :/)
    Well, I never went to the nutritionist and I probably should have I just didn't think I could have handled being told what I should be eating, I was afraid I'd just... stop again.

I'm going to give it a week and if nothing changes and I'm still thinking this way, I'm going to go to my doctor... see what my next move should be... That's scary.
  • megz4987
    Options
    I hate this site is working for everyone but me.(and a few others like me)

Exactly. I know some people are hitting plateaus and whatnot but then there's people that are like "I broke my plateau! This is how!!" and I do that... and it doesnt' work for me... I literally do not have time for more exercise, I'm lucky I get in what I do.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am stuck right now too, I haven't lost anything for a month and it is frustrating because I am working out, and eating healthy. I guess I just need to be patient.
    Don't resort to not eating, I had an eating disorder for almost 20 years and is messed up my metabolism, my mind and took years to recover from. I've done the not eating, it does not work long term and it really is not worth it. Plateaus eventually end, or so I am told and I am going to tough it out and I hope you will too.:flowerforyou:
  • Jessika616
    Jessika616 Posts: 41
    Options
    I right with you. I lost a ton of weight before pregnancy by starving...then gainec 100. My doctor was freaking out. I've lost the first half of it in the healthy way using weight watchers but now it's been like 4 months and I keep losing and gaining the same 3 lbs. I actually ate around 700 calories for two days and lost 3 lbs and then the apple pie yesterday and all the food at my moms ruined me...well I don't know for sure because I was too afraid of the scale. Now Im thinking of giving the healthy way a try again...at least I'm not cranky on it...except when I weigh myself.
  • megz4987
    Options
    I am stuck right now too, I haven't lost anything for a month and it is frustrating because I am working out, and eating healthy. I guess I just need to be patient.
    Don't resort to not eating, I had an eating disorder for almost 20 years and is messed up my metabolism, my mind and took years to recover from. I've done the not eating, it does not work long term and it really is not worth it. Plateaus eventually end, or so I am told and I am going to tough it out and I hope you will too.:flowerforyou:

I have had every eating disorder under the sun in the last 10years. Over eating, bing eating, purging, starving, exercising too much, diet pills, lax's, you name it, i did it. Its no way to live and im trying to do everything i can not to get into it again, for my family. its no way or me to live and no way for them to live, either. im trying...
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    been stuck for two months-healthy eating, exercising....
    even been trying slimfast. which, i have lost NO weight on, and have been following the 3-2-1 plan EXACTLY.
    it is extremely frustrating, but do you want quick results or lasting results?
    :)
    i know how hard it is....trust me. but it's going to take your body time to adjust. especially if you lost a lot of weight not eating before (my friend was anorexic and it took her 3 yrs to lose the weight she gained back after she gained over 60 lbs.)
    just know you're doing the right thing...eventually it WILL come off.
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It may sound strange but by eating too little you can actually put on weight as (in fairly simple un-scientific terms) your body starts to panic that it will starve if you only feed it 90kcal a day - your body has no idea when it'll get a full days worth of food so slows down burning of calories to retain as much stored energy (aka fat) so that your body can continue to function whilst not getting very much calorie intake. Muscle is often converted into fat to allow even more energy stores - undoing all your hard work!

If you want to give your metabolism a kick start you could try calorie zig-zagging (there are loads of posts on here about it) where some days you eat lots and some days little ie, 1700-1400-1200-1700-1350-1200-1400.
    The high intake days mean your metabolism has to step it up a notch which then carries over onto the lower intake days and you burn more.

Another thing - I read that drinking your full 8 glasses of water every day burns an extra 500 calories each week.
    You can also burn a few extra calories and strengthen your core by sitting upright (without leaning back against the seat) with your shoulders rolled back when at a desk, watching telly or driving. Having more muscles also increases your ability to burn fat, so perhaps switch some of the cardio exercises to weights and strength training?
  • Mel36Run
    Mel36Run Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at a plateau for over a month. I workout 6 days a week and eat healthy. So I can relate to your frustration. All you can do is kick it up a notch. The scale will evetually show all the work you have or have not been doing. Starving yourself is not the answer. It is very unhealthy and you will gain all the weight back once you start eating normal.
  • megz4987
    Options
    It is very unhealthy and you will gain all the weight back once you start eating normal.

I know it's unhealthy but everyone keeps sayin you gain it back once you start eating normally...I didn't. I gained it back when I got pregnant and ate taco bell and chinese food for just about every meal (it's the only thing that didn't make me naseaus). I mean, normal eating in the sense of eating 3 meals a day, they may not have been big meals but I think that was good.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Starving yourself is NOT the way to go. For many reasons as mentioned here. But also, you're a mom, aren't you? What kind of example is that for your babies?

Maybe look at what you're eating in addition to how much. Are you eating enough fiber, whole grain, vegetables and fruits? Try to reduce your intake of sodium and processed foods. Look at the water you're drinking.

Are you nursing? Then your body needs a bit more food to compensate. It's definitely worth talking to a nutritionist, if you can. A lot of community hospitals have nutrition programs you can join for free, or minimal cost.

Don't give up on yourself! You can do this, the healthy way.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You have a history of very disordered eating, which in itself probably confuses the hell out of your metabolism; and you've had a baby, which is a fantastic thing but a hell of a shock to the system. Is it any wonder that your body isn't sure what to do next?

I really think you should go back to your doctor and explain what you've told us (which, btw, was a very brave thing to do). Because it sounds like your whole relationship with food, physically, mentally and emotionally, is really difficult. And, you have a little girl now, and you want to be well for her, and to make sure her relationship with food doesn't go the same way. Go and ask your doctor to be referred not only in relation to your body's nutritional needs, but in relation to your mindset around it - so, to whatever kind of counselling or support they can offer you to help you work through it. It won't happen overnight, and it will be really hard, but you can do it. Good luck!
  • PurpleStarKatz
    PurpleStarKatz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly different take on this. I know how you feel. I've been sick the last few days, and barely ate anything. Lo and behold I lost four pounds! I can really understand wanting to starve yourself to lose weight, really I can. But I know it's not the right way to go, and obviously so do you. It's really hard and I know I've quite honestly thought about it. But I know in the end it will just make me more sick.
    Congratulations on recognizing that you've had problems with food in the past and that there's a possibility that you might need help doing things the right way this time around. That is fantastic! =] A lot of people have a hard time with that.
    As far as the weight gain - Muscle weighs more than fat. When you start working out, you're bound to either lose less weight, or stay the same for a while. But in the end, more muscle leads to a faster metabolism, which is something you want.
    I know it's tough but hang in there because things will get better. Best of luck to you!