Keto Time

Options
Returning to Keto. First 5 days and a loss of -6lbs

Replies

• hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well done sir, i lost 30 lbs in 5 weeks on ketogenic and i believe effectively contributed to my huge increase soccer skills
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat that you can keep up forever!
  • xZITAx
    xZITAx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keto'er here too! Wel done
  • Itlnchk
    Itlnchk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Back to it today myself! I Lost almost 8lbs my first week but that Keto Flu....OMG I hope it doesn't hit me as hard this go around. Good ol' Mom stocked me up and magnesium rich bone broth to help!
  • cmansell13
    cmansell13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Starting tomorrow - planned my menu for the week today.
  • johnneedhamSr
    johnneedhamSr Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    @tre770 what is WOE? sorry just curious
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Way of Eating
  • jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but can I ask
    1-how many carbs are you eating per day to be in Keto?
    2-How long at that carb level until you are in Keto?
    3-Can you be in Keto if you are vegan?

Love the results everyone is posting
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    jtkatch wrote: »

1-It varies from person to person but generally keto levels are considered to be l50g/carbs per day or less. "Low carb" is generally consider to be 150g/carbs per day or less.
    2-Again, it varies from person to person. Just as there is no one diet fits all, there is also no single time-frame that all people fall into.
    3-Yes, although doing Keto while being vegan can be quite challenging.
  • jtkatch
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

1-It varies from person to person but generally keto levels are considered to be l50g/carbs per day or less. "Low carb" is generally consider to be 150g/carbs per day or less.
    2-Again, it varies from person to person. Just as there is no one diet fits all, there is also no single time-frame that all people fall into.

Thank you very much for the info. One more question.... Are you counting true carbs or net (subtracting the fiber=net carb intake)
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Thank you very much for the info. One more question.... Are you counting true carbs or net (subtracting the fiber=net carb intake)

Personally, I count total carbs but again, the preference for counting total carbs vs. net carbs varies from person to person.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

1-It varies from person to person but generally keto levels are considered to be 50g/carbs per day or less. "Low carb" is generally consider to be 150g/carbs per day or less.

And I'll be darned if there wasn't a typ-o in what I posted above! lol
  • johnneedhamSr
    Options
    I count both, But I don't worry too much about the good carbs from green veggies.

I have never heard "Low carb" as being 150 or less??????
    Low carb is NET and 20-50 depending on duration and goals. Keto is almost the same.
    I find the main difference is the control of protein and keeping it low enough as to not cause insulin reaction. If the body cannot use excess protein it also must be converted to be burned just like a cab, however you don't want your body routinely burning protein off or it will tend to also burn muscle. Instead FAT must DOMINATE your calorie percentages. Goals on keto should be 75-80% of calories from fat, 15-20% from protein, and 5% from carbs. ALSO the carbs matter, cut the sugar carbs out as best you can and only allow those carbs to be from vegetables.
  • johnneedhamSr
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I looked and in the last 7 days I am AVERAGING.... 50 total carbs per day, 12 Fiber per day, and therefor a NET carb count of 38 per day. I am 6'5" and 279 so mine are on the higher side

Before doing keto while I was doing Low carb I would always stay at 20 or less net, so I am having a few more carbs now on keto, BUT I also am eating more Green stuff causing the higher carb.
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've had much success with low carb but my journey began with 2 weeks at 20g or less and much more Keto based. I referenced diet Doctor a lot. The weight loss averages above are impressive. Any thoughts on how I may benefit if I shift gears back to Keto upping my fats and tightening my carb allowance?
  • jtkatch
    Options
    I count both, But I don't worry too much about the good carbs from green veggies.

Low carb is NET and 20-50 depending on duration and goals. Keto is almost the same.
    I find the main difference is the control of protein and keeping it low enough as to not cause insulin reaction. If the body cannot use excess protein it also must be converted to be burned just like a cab, however you don't want your body routinely burning protein off or it will tend to also burn muscle. Instead FAT must DOMINATE your calorie percentages. Goals on keto should be 75-80% of calories from fat, 15-20% from protein, and 5% from carbs. ALSO the carbs matter, cut the sugar carbs out as best you can and only allow those carbs to be from vegetables.

Very very interesting. I really like your train of thought. I usually stay around 50-70 NET carbs and my fat is usually high with protein lower. Maybe I need to adjust it again to really go more into Keto? I am vegan so I get all my carbs from veggies, which is not a bad thing but I want to lose 10lbs which I am having trouble with so maybe lowering carbs more may help. Thank you for your great response.
  • johnneedhamSr
    Options

Very very interesting. I really like your train of thought. I usually stay around 50-70 NET carbs and my fat is usually high with protein lower. Maybe I need to adjust it again to really go more into Keto? I am vegan so I get all my carbs from veggies, which is not a bad thing but I want to lose 10lbs which I am having trouble with so maybe lowering carbs more may help. Thank you for your great response.

.... Maybe just swap out some carbs for some fat, and you will be there (olive oil maybe?)
  • johnneedhamSr
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've had much success with low carb but my journey began with 2 weeks at 20g or less and much more Keto based. I referenced diet Doctor a lot. The weight loss averages above are impressive. Any thoughts on how I may benefit if I shift gears back to Keto upping my fats and tightening my carb allowance?

Well by lowering the carbs and raising the fat in its place..... 1st if the carbs are just a little to high for "an individual" what can happen is your body will teeter totter on and off the verge of keto adapted and looking for carbs for fuel. This will cause tiredness, and basically nullify the chance at the awesome energy felt when keto adapted (when body looks for fat first for fuel) In other words a bit too many carbs even on low carb will just tease your body, cause cravings, tiredness, and so on.
    2nd you will find you are able to go longer periods of time without a meal when running on body fat.

• Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been following a keto diet for about 2 years. I lost 34 lbs in about 6 months and maintained it. I also feel so much healthier overall on keto. Now I'm using MFP to help me lose my last 10 lbs or so. I'm hoping MFP will assist me in paying closer attention to my macros. Any tips that you have for me would be much appreciated! :smiley: