Does hunger ever go away?

Options
jt1807
jt1807 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm still remaining at 270lbs, it's my fault for not dieting or exercising as I should. Anyway, I reduced what I eat and I keep starving.

When you lose weight like 50lbs. Does the hunger ever go away? I mean, can you eat less and feel fuller? Or is it just stuck with you for life? Doctor told me it's just sort of an addiction to food, and if I eat less sweets it should go away. It hasn't went away.

I can eat 2 chicken breasts and a protein shake. I don't feel full for hours. I tried snacking. All of this is nonsense. I tried drinking water before I eat. None of this works. I assume these are just myths. Is it just stuck with us for life?

I even reduced the amount of diet cokes I drink to 3 to 4 a week and reducing it. I eat only whole grains or whatever digest slowly it hasn't really helped either.

Just from personal experience all of the things I've read or my doctor told me feels like a myth. I feel hungry all the time. I just ignore it, but it's still there. Been at it for two months now.

Replies

• Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Fiber is your friend. My lunch today was right around 400 calories. I had a 8.5 ounce baked potato topped with butter, half a steamer bag of broccoli and 2 slices of cheese. I was FULL when I finished. And now close to 5 hours later I'm not quite hungry yet. I started at 248lbs and am down 21 lbs in just over 2 months. I get hungry, even hangry at times. But I don't walk around hungry constantly. Shakes of any sort do not fill me up. I occasionally drink one as a sweet treat when I'm not hitting protein goals. But they are not and will never be a meal replacer for me.

Friend me if you'd like to look at my diary. I've not been as on my game the past few days in making the most nutritious choices. But I'm satisfied.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You haven't told us how long you've been doing this for. I found the hunger reduced after about 2 weeks, and now I only get hungry maybe an hour before meals, which I'm fine with.

Like everything, consistency is important here. Your body is used to a certain amount of food, so it gets hungry on proportion to that. You now want it to adjust to a smaller amount of food and adjust its hunger signals to match. That will only happen if you are consistent about eating that smaller amount - if you eat less for a day or two and then overeat again, it's not going to adapt and you will stay hungry.

Hang in there, be consistent and it will improve. The tricks you mention are not myths, but they're not magic wands either. You're making a big change and it will take time for your body to catch up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are foods that help with saiety and fullness and are not myths. Fill your self up with healthy fats/protein and carbs along with fiber rich foods. Voume foods like fruits and veggies and stay away from more calorie dense foods.

Yes it does get better. If your doctor told you that you had some sort of food addiction, did he offer you a referral to see a therapist or dietician to help you with this?

Are you spacing out your meals or do you need to eat in a way that will satisfy better like eating your calories in bigger meals or by making sure each smaller meal is well balanced with carbs/fats/protein. Water does not fill you up except for a few minutes after you drink it, you drink this for dehydration not as a trick to stay full.

Diet cokes are fine, but if they act are some sort of sweet/sugar trigger reducing might be a good thing.

You should have started seeing things get better after 3 - 4 weeks and not have to wait until 50 pounds lost. If you truly truly have any issues with food and/or your relationship with food, you should talk to your doctor so that you can obtain the best advice based on your medical history and weight history.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Experiment until you find an approach that works for you. For me, that means whole foods: healthy fats like nuts and avocados, protein, high fiber vegetables, and LIMITING refined carbs. I lost the weight, and have kept it off. Your mileage may vary.
    Good luck!
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you having hunger issues or craving issues?

My tear inducing cravings went away after 3 weeks.. I am 45lbs down and I probably could mess it all up in a few days. I get fuller quicker but I eat super slow and drink an obnoxious amount of water before and after my meals. The first 3 weeks sucked and it felt like I was in eternal hell of hunger/cravings and sadness haha.

Can you tell the difference between actual hunger and food cravings? They're quite similar to me.. some days honestly nothing seems to fill me up and I go to bed with a roaring stomach.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For me it comes and goes in cycles. When I first started limiting my calories I felt it a lot. Gradually I got used to eating less and enjoying seeing the weight drop, so I ignored the hunger infavor of weight loss. After months of eating my reduced calorie amount for weight loss I got really hungry. I have had to adjust my calories upward.

I also tried various ways of eating to rduce hunger. They seemed to work for a while and then I would have to change them. Examples are, lots of protien, lots of fibre. eaing three meals a day, no snacks, eating 4 meals a day, eating less fibre more dairy, eating no fruit or sweeteners of any kind, eating lots of veg to fill up my tummy, eating no bread, eating vegetarian and whole grains, eating mostly fruit and veg, eating low carb, ex ersizing, not excersizing, weights, no weights but cardio, sitting in a chair and eating 1200 a day because excersize raised my hunger levels, over excersizing because that nuked my hunger, etc. etc. etc.

Basically, do what works for you to eat less calories than you need per day and you will lose weight. You often must try a million ways of tricking yourself into feeling ok with that in order to be able to stick with it long enough to get the weight off.

Then there is maintenance, another story.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You aren't hungry when you've had what you need. Just because we can eat more, it doesn't mean that we have to eat more. A normal way of eating will get you hungry for some time before meals, and then not hungry, until some time before next meal. Some people are used to eat all the time and think of feeling stuffed as full, and what would otherwise have been described as satisfied, as hungry. But you can't starve yourself either. ARE you starving yourself? How much are you eating per day?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Good question re how much are you eating, if you're finding it really hard and are still very hungry after several weeks, maybe you need to increase your calories and settle for slower weight loss.

Also, don't forget the importance of exercise in allowing you to eat more. It can be a lifesaver.

And meal spacing is important. For me, a smaller breakfast and lunch and a big dinner help me to be more satisfied. Others find lots of small meals are best. Experiment to see what works for you.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set at? In the beginning of your weight loss, it does take your body some time to get used to smaller portions. But if after losing 50 lbs and you're still hungry, you may have your weight loss goal too strict. You may want to increase it a little. Try 1 lb per week or even .5 lb per week and see if that helps. Try incorporating small snacks inbetween your meals and by eating foods that are higher in protein and fiber.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Ok, so IF you are eating enough calories in a day and not going on 1200 because someone told you that was all anyone needs, then there are some tricks that I have you can try, (although you may also need to evaluate if it's really hunger or just cravings too)

First I do Intermittent fasting, so I don't start eating until 11 or 12 and then I'm done for the day between 7 and 8. I find that the earlier I start eating, the hungrier I am all.freaking.day.long. it's not for everyone but it was a game changer for me.

Second I go for long walks, not so crazy strenuous that I'm starving afterwards but enough to earn me extra dinner so I can eat what I'm used to eating/what my family is eating.

Third, I save 100 calories for a small frozen chocolate treat after dinner, knowing it's coming stops me from going crazy all day and makes me satisfied enough to stop there.

Fourth I have an arsenal if flavoured teas for hunger/craving breakthroughs, berry, vanilla, they do make chocolate ones but those aren't for me.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I find fat has the most staying power, protein fills me most in the moment, and the combo of fat and protein, with very limited carbs (I do 50-80g per day) keeps me from having that constant gnawing hunger feeling all day. If I do eat a higher carb meal, I always make it late in the day, otherwise I'm going to suffer all day long. I also try not to eat anything besides my coffee and half and half until close to, or even past, lunch time (today I had "breakfast" at 2:30 p - a bunless cheeseburger and a pile of green beans, well buttered). They call it intermittent fasting. All I know is once I break my fast for the day, I'm hungrier the rest of the day. So I try to start eating later. Some people find increasing fiber and water consumption helps, but it sounds like you already tried that. There is also the possibility that you have gotten into the habit of snacking/grazing all day or you eat out of boredom. Breaking those habits and keeping yourself busy can help. If it is not true hunger, just habit, it will ease up once you develop new habits.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It goes away! I find that when I start dieting, at first I am always really hungry and can eat anything/everything, but after about two weeks or so that goes away and I start getting fuller a lot faster.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wholeheartedly agree with previous posters that have encouraged you to examine your weekly weight loss goal. If you were eating say, 2500 calories a day, and suddenly dropped that to 1200, you will naturally be hungry. Consider a smaller goal, even if just initially until you become accustomed to eating less.
    I also think for some of us, hunger is a fairly new, and thus more intense, sensation. If you were like me, you maybe never went without food long enough to experience true hunger, and it may take some getting used to. But you do adjust, and food may actually come to taste better to you when eaten out of actual hunger. As others have mentioned, this should just be pre-meal hunger, not all-day hunger.
  • Spacewitch88
    Spacewitch88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Btw, another problem:
    Sometimes you feel hunger instead of thirst when you're thirsty. This sounds like grasping straws but for some people this does happen. So when you get super hungry, check how much you drank that day as well!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For me, I can eat an entire plate of lean protein and vegetables, even over a pound of food, and still be hungry. You need fat in your diet. For me, adding some fat in the form of butter, or a healthy oil will settle my satiety and allow me to be satisfied. Protein and fiber will also help, but for me the answer is fat. You just have to experiment and see what works for you. Don't fear fat, it doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Experiment until you find an approach that works for you. For me, that means whole foods: healthy fats like nuts and avocados, protein, high fiber vegetables, and LIMITING refined carbs. I lost the weight, and have kept it off. Your mileage may vary.
    Good luck!

This worked for me. I was hungry all the time until I cut down carbs and ate more fats (avoiding man made "trans" fats).
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I've never had any success losing weight w/o some level of real, true hunger. I expect it. I don't see how one can maintain the calorie deficit needed to lose weight w/o some hunger. Otherwise I would question if it was a true deficit. Only you can figure out the best way to handle it for you. What works for someone else won't always work for another person, and what works at one stage of life may not work in another. When I was younger what worked best for me was 5 or 6 small meals/snacks a day. Now I do much better with no snacks and three decent sized meals of healthy food (so few/no empty calories from sweets, refined carbs, etc.). It still takes every bit of my willpower sometimes to ignore my hunger between meals.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A lot of people confuse the feeling of being overfull with satiety in the beginning. You're used to overeating, and your stomach is used to feeling overfull. It can take some time to learn the difference between being overfull, full, sated, not hungry, and hungry. This time around, it has taken me about 2 months to get back to recognizing accurate hunger cues.