Do I need a rest day?

Options
Just wondering if I needed rest days between workouts? I have been told that I needed to have a rest day. I have been working out 5-7 days a week in a gym. I was informed that at least one rest day is needed but just wondering how do u decide which day is a rest day and does it even matter where it falls in the sequence of workouts?

Replies

• KateTM16
    KateTM16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can try upper body workout on Mondays and Thursdays. Midsection on Tuesdays and Fridays. Lower body workout on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Sundays will be your rest day. :smile:
  • empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    KateTM16 wrote: »
    You can try upper body workout on Mondays and Thursdays. Midsection on Tuesdays and Fridays. Lower body workout on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Sundays will be your rest day. :smile:

Awesome! Thank you!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    Results require 3 things:

Diet: You need nutrients, especially amino acids for protein synthesis to happen. Research satellite cells and hypertrophy.

Exercise: You need resistence exercise to stress the muscle (create microscopic tears). This activates satellite cells

Recovery: You need recovery time to allow the cells to repair the muscle.

recovery isn't just rest, it's nutrition, it's hydration, it's also psychological recovery too.

When you take a rest day depends on you and your program. Are you doing splits or full body? Are you lifting heavy with low reps, or light with high reps? I lift light with high reps, so I lift 5 days, then rest 2 days. If you are lifting heavy you'll benefit with more rest. If I were lifting heavy, I'd rest the following day. Most people are so eager for results, they don't stop. But non-stop training is very ineffective. A lot of advance body builders only hit each muscle group once a week.

Another thing to keep in mind is adjust your emphasis as your body because more sculpted. In 6 months, you may find your arms are developing well, but your back lagging. You may need to increase back work, and drop arms down to once a week.

I try to work on different parts of my body every other day. I pretty much lift heavy with low reps. Thank you for your help!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes. you need at least one rest day. any day - choose what suits you best. doesn't mean you have to sit on the couch all day long - just not "proper" working out. walking and all that is still fine. I liked to have at least 1 proper rest day and one "active rest" day (where I'd swim but not lift weights).

Now I WISH I had a rest day on any day every. I have zero rest days :( and I can feel it. I don't recommend it.
  • chami1013
    chami1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week (HIIT boot camp, weights and walking) and use Sunday as my rest day, but on rest day, I'll do some low impact cardio. Just listen to your body.
  • loridz
    loridz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you 'need' a rest day. You should listen to your body. If you are tired or just are not feeling it, take a day off. I try to do something every single day. It doesn't have to be a hardcore workout. I can go on a walk on the beach or my neighborhood. I just like to try to always do some form of movement and physical activity each day.
  • Heatherthecyclist
    Heatherthecyclist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive athlete. I train 2-3 x a day. I don't have rest days unless my body tells me to, I think I have had one in 2016. Mixture of easy and hard training, I don't need full days off
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! ❤️