Turmeric and black pepper for releasing water

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
Here's the description of my weight for the past 2 weeks: Frustrating.
It was 208 2 weeks ago, crept up to 209, I took a short vacation and came back with my weight at 214, and a week of >1500 sodium and just >1500 calories daily with no exercise got my weight to 211 by Friday morning. OK, it would frustrate you, but I'm cool with it. I just stay on the program. Three days of vacation in a year are not going to ruin my progress. Reading about the "golden milk" discussion last week led to me deciding to add turmeric and black pepper to my stir fry last Friday. I didn't weight it, but I used 1/2 tsp of each. My food log has bogus numbers for the two items that day. Saturday morning I measured a 1.0 lb loss. With my meals Saturday, I started using 1/8 tsp turmeric and 1/4 tsp black pepper, and I did that with all my meals Saturday. Sunday morning, I measured a loss of 1.0 lb. Sunday, I added the turmeric and pepper to only one meal. Monday, I measured a loss of 1.6 lb. This is all water, but wow anyway. Try it and see. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory action, and black pepper has a substance which suppresses the excretion of digestive enzymes which prevent the turmeric from doing its thing.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Adding curry spices to every dish you make sounds like a terrible life TBH. This has little to nothing to do with your fitness goals. Eat under your calorie goal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Adding curry spices to every dish you make sounds like a terrible life TBH. This has little to nothing to do with your fitness goals. Eat under your calorie goal.

I actually do eat under my calorie goals. The curry spices, which don't seem terrible to me, seem to have triggered water release. That's all.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, even if it doesn't help with fat loss! :smile:
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Tumeric is a wonderful thing, but you don't know if that's why the water dropped, as water bloat always comes off eventually. If you're happy with it, you do you.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to release water? Leave the water alone. It's fat you're trying to lose.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know if correlation equals causation here. If you put on a bunch of water weight on a vacation it was going to come off about a pound a day anyway.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    I have evidence that it DOES NOT consistently WORK. I finally logged in a day without a big loss. I stood at my desk yesterday for 7 hours and have a tiny bit of calf soreness today. Calories and sodium were reasonable yesterday, and today I measured a gain. Stupid water tricks.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    To lose the water weight, drink lots of water + watch sugar/starch/booze intake. Adding spices to food is wonderful though, for a whole ton of reasons, not least that they taste great.