difficult seeing it through

Options
chucklemethis
chucklemethis Posts: 14 Member
Honestly Im having a hard time right now. I jumped on the neighbors scale a week ago and it said I lost 10lbs. Bought a really nice new scale, and this morning it reads I only lost 5lbs!!
I cant tell you how frustrating it is to join an hour bootcamp 6 days a week, walk the treadclimber 40 min every other weekday and constantly balance all these meals into some macro calculator to find out NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!

Ive cried more than 5 lbs.

You know what I get to stand up against?!? A bootcamp instructor who openly uses derogatory words like "fatty" and speaks openly about how fat people are fat because theyrw lazy.

Ya, Ive only been dieting my whole adult life + beat autism and ptsd for the most part but now I get to keep my head up over 5lbs??! What?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly Im having a hard time right now. I jumped on the neighbors scale a week ago and it said I lost 10lbs. Bought a really nice new scale, and this morning it reads I only lost 5lbs!!
    I cant tell you how frustrating it is to join an hour bootcamp 6 days a week, walk the treadclimber 40 min every other weekday and constantly balance all these meals into some macro calculator to find out NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!

Ive cried more than 5 lbs.

You know what I get to stand up against?!? A bootcamp instructor who openly uses derogatory words like "fatty" and speaks openly about how fat people are fat because theyrw lazy.

Ya, Ive only been dieting my whole adult life + beat autism and ptsd for the most part but now I get to keep my head up over 5lbs??! What?

That bootcamp instructor sounds like a pretty mean person. I'd consider leaving that class for someone who:

a) Doesn't treat people poorly
    and
    b) Actually has a reasonable understanding of obesity

Your current instructor fails at both of these.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    all scales are different, don't weigh yourself on more than one set... and dont go back to bootcamp if that's what the instructor says...
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You need to get on ONE scale at the beginning of your journey and only weigh yourself on that one. I bet if you went on a 3rd scale, it would read something different from the other 2. Until you use one system of measurement, you are crying over something that is just not real. Bathroom scales are notoriously poorly calibrated. At least one of the 2 you have used is wrong.

Better to look at the other ways to measure success anyway. Has your waist measurements changed? Clothes getting a little bit too big? Cardio health improving?

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Bootcamps can often take the "cruel to be kind" approach a bit too far. The best way to ensure success is by doing things you actually enjoy, so if it the instructors style is not working for you then perhaps try to find something different.

As for the 5lb, I wouldn't despair about this - firstly your weight can vary 5lbs in a day due to several factors. The best way to compensate for this is to try to weigh yourself at the same time each day, relative to meals/toilet breaks etc. Easiest way to do this is to weigh yourself first thing in morning, (pref after bathroom visit!).

Also, different scales can be vastly different in the measurements they give. I had a weigh in at the doctors just yesterday and being surprised that I'd lost so much weight, I weighed myself as soon as I got back home on my usual scales to find there was a 2.1kg (4 1/2lbs) difference between the two.

Lastly, from the sound of your exercise regime, the chances are you've been building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so in the early days of increased exercise your weight can actually plateau (or even increase) simply because of this. Keep it up though and you'll see after a few weeks the weight begins to drop again as increased muscle also increases your metabolic rate (i.e. you burn more calories even when doing nothing!) and you'll also see the change in your body shape.

To summarise, although it's difficult try not to fixate on individual measurements - try to weigh yourself in the same conditions in each time, (same scales, same time of day, same clothing etc.), and just keep an eye on the trend rather than the individual measurements. In general a much better guide to how you're doing is how you look and feel, rather than what the scale says.

Sounds like you're doing amazing - keep it up!!
  • chucklemethis
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I actually prepared a rather large response so each were acknowledged same day this began, and got distracted with one of the babies and lost it all. I havnt had the energy or time to come back.

Im not new to working out, Im new to seeing any lasting results. I didnt stay in any pity party and continued with same instructor. She heard me grunt (like we all do) and came at me like 'is there a problem' but said "are you ok there". I just straitened up and saif "yes mam".

I have a new scale so hopefully it will slow the frustration. Im also looking into this inflamation business. It seems I have a bit of that as well.

Staying positive and hopeful

Hopefully lol
  • dkabambe
    Options
    Glad to hear you're positive - keep it up and I know you'll see the results your efforts deserve.

Unfortunately my scales have broken (not a good sign!) so also having to switch scales after first weigh-in so my second one will be on different scales - I'm mentally preparing myself for my end of first week weigh in on Monday. Have a party to go to tonight, so just planning out what I do rest of day so that I can be sensible overall and not undo this weeks good work - can't afford to have another false start this time! Have a great weekend, x
  • chucklemethis
    Options
    Im learning so much.

You wont undo what you did because you love it, you know it (; the hard work is sorta rewarding immediately sometimes.

Enjoy your party (;
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Regarding that inflammation business, the way I have for several years been addressing it is to have a single daily 81mg aspirin. Another way, which I've been using for 3 days, is to combine 1/8 tsp turmeric with 1/4 tsp black pepper in my stir-fry. The pepper makes the turmeric available inside the body, and the turmeric is also an anti-inflammatory agent.
  • dkabambe
    Options
    Thanks @chucklemethis
    Party was very good, and I did some exercise in advance to earn extra calories. However, had a major attack of hangover munchies yesterday and totally pigged out! Just about stayed in calorie deficit for the week overall though so back on it today...
  • chucklemethis
    Options
    From what Im reading that probably wasnt half bad. Ive been stalling forever it seems.

"Supposed youtube experts" are suggesting a surplus ever so often to keep metabolism confused. I just think its scary as hell to do a reverse diet to break my stall, but with your one time slip up - Id suggest to endulge in peace.

Dont listen to me im no expert and having a REAL hard time putting this altogether. When to low carb, when to surplus, when to fast smh....i just want out of this stall.

Working to hard to see no results.

I take turmeric, green tea omega3s, use water belt, burn 300-600 cal 6 days a week, maintain a perfect macro,

smh is all I can do
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    From what Im reading that probably wasnt half bad. Ive been stalling forever it seems.

"Supposed youtube experts" are suggesting a surplus ever so often to keep metabolism confused. I just think its scary as hell to do a reverse diet to break my stall, but with your one time slip up - Id suggest to endulge in peace.

Dont listen to me im no expert and having a REAL hard time putting this altogether. When to low carb, when to surplus, when to fast smh....i just want out of this stall.

Working to hard to see no results.

I take turmeric, green tea omega3s, use water belt, burn 300-600 cal 6 days a week, maintain a perfect macro,

smh is all I can do

What's a water belt?
  • dkabambe
    Options
    I tend to ignore the online "experts", and do what feels right/sensible - there is so much contradicting evidence out there it can just get confusing. I do try to mix things up every so often, both in terms of food and exercise - not necessarily because that's what the so-called experts recommend, but more to stop me from getting bored and quitting.

Anyway, I know we can do this. There will always be hard times no doubt but if we keep at it and support each other we will get through those. It sounds like you're doing amazing, and I'm sure you'll get through your stall soon. Hopefully was just the scales and you'll see yourself progressing again, but if not you know where we are. Take care, Dz,x