Options
13»

Replies

• jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    the amount of protein intake you need is often measured by strength training gains/losses/stagnicity. Your body uses proteins in particular ways (which has been researched quite a bit, probably the most of any nutritional topic). If your strength training is showing you can move more weight, then protein is working for you. If you are losing strength, it is a sign you need to focus on protein more.

Being vegan, your natural enemy is protein sources. There aren't many non-animal sources to choose from. Nuts, avocados, and granola, maybe. I don't know. But i can tell you I have never seen a fat or muscular vegan. :-) take that for what it is worth.

Haha they are many many more protein plant based sources actually haha. And There are vegan body builders and MMA fighters :) and I'm a fat vegan so there's that hahahaha.

Then I guess I should get out more lol! I do wonder, however, if vegans naturally eat less calories. For us normal folk, who eat everything, calories are always a challenge. Is it a challenge for you at all, since you have been eating vegan?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I always hear that fat intake should be less than 10% daily calories. But I'm not sure how I feel about that. I see a lot of fit People going between 5-10% fat intake and they look Amazing. But when I try it I hateeeeee it and feel *kitten*. I feel best around 30% fat intake. Opinions?

Ignore whoever says that. If you 'aways' hear that, find new sources of information. Fat doesn't make you fat, and a very low fat diet can make you MISERABLE.
  • happyveganrachel
    happyveganrachel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    the amount of protein intake you need is often measured by strength training gains/losses/stagnicity. Your body uses proteins in particular ways (which has been researched quite a bit, probably the most of any nutritional topic). If your strength training is showing you can move more weight, then protein is working for you. If you are losing strength, it is a sign you need to focus on protein more.

Being vegan, your natural enemy is protein sources. There aren't many non-animal sources to choose from. Nuts, avocados, and granola, maybe. I don't know. But i can tell you I have never seen a fat or muscular vegan. :-) take that for what it is worth.

Haha they are many many more protein plant based sources actually haha. And There are vegan body builders and MMA fighters :) and I'm a fat vegan so there's that hahahaha.

Then I guess I should get out more lol! I do wonder, however, if vegans naturally eat less calories. For us normal folk, who eat everything, calories are always a challenge. Is it a challenge for you at all, since you have been eating vegan?

Definitely never had an issue getting in the calories as a vegan. I am cutting them now haha. Hence why I'm a fatty. Easily on a day without watching my calories I could consume anywhere from 2000-4000 calories. But there are many different ways a vegan might eat. I don't exclude vegan "junk" food like many, which includes faux meats and cheeses. I find them to be helpful in getting in the healthy protein and fats also :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I've known quite a few fat, unhealthy vegans.
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    I always hear that fat intake should be less than 10% daily calories. But I'm not sure how I feel about that. I see a lot of fit People going between 5-10% fat intake and they look Amazing. But when I try it I hateeeeee it and feel *kitten*. I feel best around 30% fat intake. Opinions?

Ignore whoever says that. If you 'aways' hear that, find new sources of information. Fat doesn't make you fat, and a very low fat diet can make you MISERABLE.

Definitely searching more sources now. Actually I'm watching a lot of the strict dieters in the vegan community on YouTube change their diets to be more "normal" it's crazy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Definitely searching more sources now. Actually I'm watching a lot of the strict dieters in the vegan community on YouTube change their diets to be more "normal" it's crazy!

I'd skip the vegan community on youtube altogether. Look around here, there are plant based eaters, "Eat to Live" folks, and many healthy vegetarians, vegans and what not.
  • happyveganrachel
    Options

I'd skip the vegan community on youtube altogether. Look around here, there are plant based eaters, "Eat to Live" folks, and many healthy vegetarians, vegans and what not.

I still like to watch all of them for the drama hahah! I've stumbled upon high fat vegans on YouTube recently and catching up on their videos now :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • happyveganrachel
    Options

Thank you so much for showing me this!!!! Just joined :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm more open to low fat as one of many diet options that work for people than many here, as people vary. I know there are people who do well and enjoy low fat (10%) vegan diets. I am among those who prefer around 30% fat, however, and there's nothing wrong with that (or higher) either -- the overall diet is what matters.
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm more open to low fat as one of many diet options that work for people than many here, as people vary. I know there are people who do well and enjoy low fat (10%) vegan diets. I am among those who prefer around 30% fat, however, and there's nothing wrong with that (or higher) either -- the overall diet is what matters.

Good point :)
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat .27 grams per pound of body weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The low fat vegans are a very vocal part of the community, but there are tons of vegans who don't do low fat. I don't feel good when I go low fat. I usually get 20-30% of my calories from fat.

For weight loss/maintaining, it really comes down to the calories you consume. I didn't have any problem losing weight on a higher fat vegan diet.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    yeah, you should be eating at least 20%, even athletes and bodybuilders etc. aim for at least 20%, so as a more general member of society, 10% is a little ridiculous
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Not all fat is created equal or bad. There's "good" and "bad" fat. Examples of the former include avocados and nuts (to an extent). Examples of the latter include red meat (though there's a trade off there as far as iron's concerned).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Not all fat is created equal or bad. There's "good" and "bad" fat. Examples of the former include avocados and nuts (to an extent). Examples of the latter include red meat (though there's a trade off there as far as iron's concerned).

Even red meat isn't bad for you. New research is suggestion that getting SFA from whole sources may not effect health negatively. So if anything, limiting processed meats is more ideal. Either way, the OP is following a plant based diet, so it doesn't matter too much.
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    The low fat vegans are a very vocal part of the community, but there are tons of vegans who don't do low fat. I don't feel good when I go low fat. I usually get 20-30% of my calories from fat.

For weight loss/maintaining, it really comes down to the calories you consume. I didn't have any problem losing weight on a higher fat vegan diet.

Awesome! Thank you
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    yeah, you should be eating at least 20%, even athletes and bodybuilders etc. aim for at least 20%, so as a more general member of society, 10% is a little ridiculous

Interesting to hear. I had no idea what professionals consume!