Fat intake

Options
I always hear that fat intake should be less than 10% daily calories. But I'm not sure how I feel about that. I see a lot of fit People going between 5-10% fat intake and they look Amazing. But when I try it I hateeeeee it and feel *kitten*. I feel best around 30% fat intake. Opinions?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    10% is crazy, we need fats for a lot of our bodily functions.
  • happyveganrachel
    happyveganrachel Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I thought the same but I hear it everywhere!!! (In the Vegan community at least) meh!!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    .35-.45 grams per pound of body weight is the minimum guideline I've always used.
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    .35-.45 grams per pound of body weight is the minimum guideline I've always used.

First time I've heard this! Interesting!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yup...

10% is way low...dietary fat is essential to a healthy diet and is necessary for absorption of certain vitamins and minerals as well as nervous system function, hormone regulation, and brain function among other things. Time has also shown (given the low fat craze of the 80s ad 90s) that low fat diets actually increase your risk of heart disease, etc.

There are plenty of sources of dietary fat that are vegan...I'm not vegan or vegetarian but a good deal of my dietary fat comes from things like avocados, nuts and nut butters, and good cooking oils.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I thought the same but I hear it everywhere!!! (In the Vegan community at least) meh!!!!

The vegan community isn't 'everywhere'...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat between 30% -40% of my 1650 cals from fat... I have a peanut butter habit...
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about fats, as I know most of mine is from healthy fats and as long as my Sat Fat is low and no trans fats I'm happy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I run 65% fat. vOv
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

The vegan diaries I've read on here suggest other wise. Lots of nuts, seeds, salad dressings, avocados etc.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I had to double-read this. I thought you said we need farts for a lot of our bodily functions.

That could also be true :D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had to double-read this. I thought you said we need farts for a lot of our bodily functions.

:D
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    Personally I eat between 30% -40% of my 1650 cals from fat... I have a peanut butter habit...

Yes that's about the percentage I have been eating in fats. I feel good that way :)
  • happyveganrachel
    Options

Hahahahah that's great!!!!
  • happyveganrachel
    Options

The vegan diaries I've read on here suggest other wise. Lots of nuts, seeds, salad dressings, avocados etc.

Ah that's good to hear. I mean on YouTube I feel like so many vegans are anti-fat. I'm just like ?????????!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 0.35g per pound bw as a minimum
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Fat has gotten a bad rap, we need some fat in our diet. I do think that we should choose our fat wisely. I try to get mine from tree nuts avarcado and bacon. I didn't say I was perfect.
  • happyveganrachel
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Fat has gotten a bad rap, we need some fat in our diet. I do think that we should choose our fat wisely. I try to get mine from tree nuts avarcado and bacon. I didn't say I was perfect.

For me, avocado, cashews, and peanut butter! Oh yes!
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bacon, butter, coconut oil nut butters, cream, meat, eggs. I think I operate at about 70% fat. Works for me.