dry skin

Options
I have the driest skin in the world!! I have scheduled an appt with a dermatologist but it's not until the 30th. In the meantime, I have to suffer with this itching. It's so bad that I wake myself up scratching at night. I have made myself bleed from scratching so hard. I use lotion every day, I am drinking more water than before, but it still isn't getting any better. I know the cold weather is a culprit but I have dry skin year round no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Memaw

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have the driest skin in the world!! I have scheduled an appt with a dermatologist but it's not until the 30th. In the meantime, I have to suffer with this itching. It's so bad that I wake myself up scratching at night. I have made myself bleed from scratching so hard. I use lotion every day, I am drinking more water than before, but it still isn't getting any better. I know the cold weather is a culprit but I have dry skin year round no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Memaw
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have to take fish oil (like omega-3) to help with my dry skin/nails/hair since I eat less fat and my body didn't agree with it.

Also, you should try to eat more good fat foods and that might help. Don't shower every day if you can help it (I have ALWAYS showered EVERYDAY, but my skin is so dry this winter I do every other day).
  • rmarlow
    rmarlow Posts: 64
    Options
    Curel is pretty good too.
  • tiffanyk54
    Options
    Hi!

I have a similar problem in the winter, my lips dry up and my cuticles peel.
    Ive found that lotion (any kind, really) has alcohol in it, so even if it leaves your hands and body soft, it wont do any real good long term.
    So, what Ive started to do, is to cut back on the lotion and use only natural bees wax lip balm, and I also started taking Cod Liver Oil (in pill form)
    Its been about a week, but my face has def improved as well as my lips. These are just tips I have tried, but if you have severe dry skin all over, your best bet is to stick with the appt on the 30th.
    Good luck!

T.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do you have a humidifier?
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I like St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter body wash and the lotion, I'm pretty sure they are to help dry, itchy skin, they have saved the inside of my thighs which would get so itchy I would scratch until they were really red.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    All of those suggestions are good.

When you go outside do you properly cover your skin? If you let your skin get exposed to the cold air, that can really dry it out. Also, certain soaps/body washes can zap moisture away... so be sure to get a moisturizing wash. Lastly, I've heard that using really hot water to shower can also make skin dry.

Just be sure to keep applying lotion (and get good medical strength lotion... not the frilly Bath and Body works kind).
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I use jojoba oil instead of lotion. I swim everyday so my skin gets pretty dry - I find oils do better than lotion, and jojoba oil (from Trader Joe's) isn't greasy or sticky (like vitamin E oil can get some times) and does not have additives (like baby oil, etc.)

I agree with the previous posters about taking fish oil (or flax seed oil, vitamin E) pills. Every bit helps!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If the skin on your body is dry, you might want to try just not using soap except where you're actually dirty. Skin does not need to be soaped down every day unless you live/work in an environment where you're exposed to dangerous bacteria. And in that case, most soap wouldn't do much good anyway.

I only very rarely use soap on my arms and legs. Most of the skin of the female body frankly doesn't need it. Even after exercise. Sweat is just salt and water.
  • Shaine
    Shaine Posts: 32
    Options
    I am in the same boat, my skin, especially on my hands, is extremely dry. Finger tips are the worst.
    I work in the medical field, and am constantly washing my hands, so that certainly doesn't help much.
    I've never tried any of the supplements you all have mentioned, but I most certainly will look into those!
    The only thing though, when it comes to supplements, be sure to inform your doctor you are taking them! Most forget to mention those, and the Fish Oil & Vitamin E pills can have a big impact on a surgery should you ever require one, even minor office procedures.

I've tried various lotions, and body washes, and nothing has helped, so I'm definately up for trying something new.

In regards to my lips, I use Soft Lips or Burt's Bee's lip balm. Works wonders!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    MollyK - I also use jojoba oil! My friend recommended that to me for my face, and so I use a little each morning... considering the fact that I'm on Accutane right now and am not experiencing serious dryness... well, then, I guess it's doing the trick! I also use a Sea Buckthorn facial moisturing lotion.
  • mandersen16
    Options
    One of my friends who has extremely dry skin bought some spa treatment stuff from Bath and Body works and swears by that too. The body wash and they have a "body butter".
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    MollyK - I also use jojoba oil! My friend recommended that to me for my face, and so I use a little each morning... considering the fact that I'm on Accutane right now and am not experiencing serious dryness... well, then, I guess it's doing the trick! I also use a Sea Buckthorn facial moisturing lotion.

Cool! I even use it in my hair (chlorine wrecks havoc with my cuticles!) and have been getting good results!

Does your facial moisturizer include sunblock? I've been using Aveeno Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15, but have been wanting to find something that does not have artifical fragrences, etc.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    When I was living in Utah I used Sesame oil (I think nutragena makes it...could be wrong) and it worked great.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I use the Oatmeal/Shea Butter body wash by St. Ives. I have tried Aveeno products, everything and nothing has worked. I have had dry skin for years but lately it has been awful!!!

I use really hot water in my bath so I need to try to cool it a little I guess.

I will post what the dermatologist tell me next week, until then I will just be itchy!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Memaw
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Doctor told us to use Aquaphor on my daughter's severly dry and chapped skin. Greatly improved since we began using.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If the skin on your body is dry, you might want to try just not using soap except where you're actually dirty. Skin does not need to be soaped down every day unless you live/work in an environment where you're exposed to dangerous bacteria. And in that case, most soap wouldn't do much good anyway.

I only very rarely use soap on my arms and legs. Most of the skin of the female body frankly doesn't need it. Even after exercise. Sweat is just salt and water.

But sweat REEKS. Like ... it smells horrible. On me anyway??? Maybe I'm th eonly one. AHAHAHAH.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    ugh i have this problem too ... My dermatologist recomended something called Uremol, its a lotion and it actually works really well!!!! My skin is so bad that my hands and feet crack and bleed and my elbows look like i have rug burn... I also have really bad eczema but for that i used medicated cream...
    The Uremol can be found at the drug store and its about 10$ for a pretty small container but its so worth it :smile:
  • natterzdezign
    natterzdezign Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Two words: BODY BUTTER! The original body butter from The Body Shop is the BEST! It's got cocoa and/or shea butter and there are plenty of smells like Coconut, Mango, Almond and lots more! (or unscented for the sensitive skin and sensitive nose) It's thick and creamy and last all day - LOVE IT!

I actually sell The Body Shop products - email me and I'll give you a super FAB deal!

Natalie

nat_and_cal@yahoo.com
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I use Alpha Keri oil to shower with. I just squirt some on a wash rag. This was recommended by a Doctor about 20 years ago and I haven't used soap since.

I used to have outbreaks of dry itchy skin, hasn't happened since.

However, the stuff is quite expensive.