Food Allergies

Options
Do you have food allergies? I have eggs, wheat, and milk and I have to say that it can be a struggle. I would love to hear your tips and advice or struggles on living with food allergies. Also, if you have time check out my blog where I will be giving some advice on living with food allergies.

Replies

• porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that I too am allergic to eggs, dairy, and gluten.

One thing I've been doing for lunch is using uncut lettuce leaves to wrap up deli meat like a sandwich. The lettuce gives is a nice crunch.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It should be pretty easy to avoid those if you cook your own meals from scratch. I have 2 grandsons that are allergic to eggs, wheat and milk and I don't have a problem fixing tasty nutritious dinners when they visit.
  • BomDiggity
    BomDiggity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had terrible GI issues for 15 years. I recently saw a diet doc and nutritionist who sent me for allergy testing. Although it's only 50% accurate, I have never felt this good in as long as I can remember. Now that I know what to avoid, I am beginning to focus on weight loss.

My allergens are: tree nuts, citrus, apples, garlic, black pepper, beef, salmon, shrimp, turkey, lettuce, tomato. In addition, I'm sensitive to chicken, strawberries, dairy.
  • BomDiggity
    BomDiggity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oops, I forgot egg yolks and yeast on my list of allergens.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I shave such severe food allergies that I don't eat out at all and make all my own food. Not that big of struggle when I control what goes into all my food.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have egg allergies. Everything else is medication like certain antibiotics. Fun, fun, fun. My son has egg allergies too, and my boyfriend has nut allergies.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease so I can't eat gluten and I am also not able to eat dairy, caffiene or refined sugars due to them being triggers for my postpartum anxiety disorder. I actually don't find it that hard except for when I go out places to eat. I focus a lot on whole foods and typically build my meals around meat and veggies.
  • mznell1981
    mznell1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rudi's organic honey sweet whole wheat bread is good for egg, and nut allergies.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Guar gum. Super fun. It's everything from foods to beauty products. Awesome creamy ice cream generally have it. Lots of shampoos, my hands will look fine but will be itchy and feel like they are burning.

A brand of charcoals cause a strong reaction. I want to bash my head in when I have it. The worse pains I've been in was the walking I had to do after my Jones fracture (to get into the hospital) and when I had my tonsils removed. I'd want to do either before having this reaction again. Thank fully it not easy to accidently have it.

I struggle with remembering to check the lists. I still occasionally grab stuff and don't realize until the cramps starts. I also find that companies change recipes so once in a while I check things I miss to see if I can.
    Add what I can't have to mom's cilantro. My nephews kiwi, my others nephews dairy, soy, and corn. And family night is a freaking pain.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    BomDiggity wrote: »
    I had terrible GI issues for 15 years. I recently saw a diet doc and nutritionist who sent me for allergy testing. Although it's only 50% accurate, I have never felt this good in as long as I can remember. Now that I know what to avoid, I am beginning to focus on weight loss.

My allergens are: tree nuts, citrus, apples, garlic, black pepper, beef, salmon, shrimp, turkey, lettuce, tomato. In addition, I'm sensitive to chicken, strawberries, dairy.

Did they tell you to retest in about 6 months? A lot of times with that many food allergies, after going on an elimination diet for 4-6 months, you can retest and only one or two things may pop positive. I am allergic to wheat, but if I've been eating it, I can pop positive for other sensitivities that I normally would not.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks, coconut, hazelnut, soybeans, shellfish, dark green leafy veggies, and mushrooms, in addition to Celiac disease.

It's really just a matter of ready every label, every time and not eating at potlucks.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bony fish. Apparently if you have the allergy it's a toss up between shellfish and bony fish. I got lucky. I can still eat my weight in shrimp, but more than a bite or two of tuna or salmon and I get to have a really crummy evening. It might just be an aversion, but either way I can't eat it.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Iceberg and Romain lettuce give me horrible cramps! Apparently my grandmother gets it too. I just started eating baby and frill type lettuces.
    O, an green bell peppers make my lips go numb, but red, yellow and orange are fine. How weird is that??
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts (except almonds) and sesame seeds. He was allergic to eggs but outgrew that.

Sesame is the worst, because it's the #9 allergy and the FDA only mandates that the top 8 be listed. Plus companies uses sesame in proprietary spice blends, so you have to really scan labels carefully.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Celiacs disease and lactose intolerance. No gluten and only lactose free dairy. But I seriously love ice cream, so I occasionally eat it and suffer. But that's life: a little pleasure, a little misery. C'est la vie.