C25k too much too fast

Options
13»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would not try to run until you can identify the shin pain. It might or might not be be related to weight. But if weight related loosing weight will be key. Keep in mind that weight will just makes the inflammation act up quicker and this just begins an endless cycle.

I am not trying to be a cop out, but trying to help avoid injury. I would consult your doctor before starting a running program.

Can you tell where you shins hurt. Is it right on the front of the shin bone (tibia) or behind it, where you can't really touch. Does tapping your heel on the ground cause pain somewhere in the lower leg. It can be landing hard on the forefoot causes the pain and you would get this jumping rope or doing aerobics, etc...

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i might suggest that you do intervals with the c25k but instead of running, do speed walking.

make sure you take your breaks. you should take at least a day between the walks/speed walking. take more than one if you need it and only 3x per week

do active stretches to start and cool down after with stretches/yoga

congratulations on starting to be a healthier person

Yes, I was about to suggest this very thing. I am no longer allowed to run due to neck problems with compressed vertebrae. But, I was thinking of doing the walk/speed walk thing myself to build up my speed and still get some calorie burning exercise.
  • noexcuses0626
    noexcuses0626 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Adjust your speed. You may be trying to go too fast too soon. Find a pace that's comfortable. Of course it's challenging, you're just starting out, but you shouldn't feel like throwing up after a minute. Maybe the shin pain requires new shoes. Go to a running store.
    If all else fails and you're dreading running, you may be better off just walking for now. Keep increasing your speed and incline (assuming you're on the treadmill) and when that is no longer challenging, try running again :)
  • ChrissyGoto
    ChrissyGoto Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hear you lady! I have C25K in the past and couldn't do it. This time around, (running my first regular 5k in Feb, did a Dirty Girl Mud Run a few years ago but that was not a lot of running more obstacles) I made my own version of C25K. I started Week 3 Day 1 yesterday and while it almost killed me, I pushed through and slowed my speed to get it completed.

If I get to the point that I can not push through or slow down enough to get through it, I will have to tweek a bit here or there, but the important thing is that I DO it. It may take me 15 weeks or 20, but seeing how I have plenty of time until Feb as long as I keep at it and steadily increase my run times, I got this! I don't care how fast I am, my main focus is being able to run the race all the way through. :)
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    C25K was too much for me as well when I started running a few years ago. Runnersworld.com has a great forum called The Starting Line for beginners. One of the coaches gave me a suggestion and I turned it into a program that worked well for me. 30 minutes, 3 days a week. break it up into 5 minute increments of run/walk intervals. If you can run 1 min, walk 4, then start there. Do that 6 times. When the 6th rep feels too easy, bump it up to 1:15/3:45 and do that 6 times. Keep increasing it until you're doing 4:45/:15. When you don't feel like you need to walk for 15 seconds every 4:45 mins, try a 30 minute run.

It took me an entire summer to get from the couch to a 5k doing it this way, but it worked! Once I could run 30 minutes, increasing the time and distance was taken in 5 minute increments again. 35 mins. 40 mins. etc. Even now, it still feels tougher, but not just-starting-out kind of tough. I took a pretty long running hiatus and gained about 60lbs back, but since losing that weight again and working out with mostly resistance training, it only took about 2 months to go from couch to 7 miles this time.

Kudos to you for wanting to give this a shot! The running community is such a welcoming and friendly group of all shapes and sizes. I love it.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Slow down and do it your way until you can get to the C25K first week, even if it takes you several weeks to do it. Honestly, most people who struggle are going way too fast. If you need to walk three minutes walk it until the next cycle starts. It's tough but shouldn't be brutal.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! To address everyone:
    -I did go to a REAL running store and get fitted for GOOD running shoes. So that's not the problem, the shoes are amazing.
    -As I mentioned before, I used to be an avid athlete about 10 years ago. Thankfully I know how to tell if I'm injuring myself or if my muscles are just weak, and it's most definitely the latter. The discomfort fades pretty much within minutes after I've stopped running, and using a high density foam roller helps a LOT. The discomfort is in the lateral part of my shin, definitely the tibialis anteriors.
    -I have talked to my doctor, she says there's no reason why I can't run. She agrees it's probably weakness due to not being accustomed to the strain anymore.

I do really want to thank AmusedMonkey. I decided to try out the conditioning program, and it was SOO much better. I felt my muscles working and they're sore, but it was so much easier to handle. I did feel the 5 second intervals were too easy so I skipped to the 10 seconds. What a difference! Thanks a ton! :D
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I started running around 230 pounds (22 lbs into the obese category for me at 5'10"). Running was a long term goal for me when I started losing. I did a lot of indoor jogging intervals and dancing and a ton of daily walking as well as losing 160 pounds before really attempting running.

I have never used C25K. I use Galloway. I started with 30 seconds/1 min 30 sec intervals, and I now do 2:1. If I am feeling especially energetic, I can run for a whole mile now without walk breaks, but I have discovered that my overall pace doesn't really change much. My sister has completed full marathons this way, so I am all for the walking intervals.

Don't do too much too fast. You'll either quit because you get hurt or because you hate it. Keep it enjoyable. Get good music. You are your only competition...small goals.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Oh, and I changed my intervals by 15 seconds at a time every 1-2 weeks. I might add more run time and NOT decrease the recovery until the following week or whatever ratio works for you. Basically, if you're dreading your runs, you're pushing yourself too much. If you're at the same interval ratio after several weeks, then you need to push more.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @fireytiger That's great to hear! If you can be patient and not skip any weeks beyond the 5 second ones it would give your muscles enough time to acclimate. I know it's tempting to go from 10 to 15 seconds right away, but trust me (from experience) you really do want to take your time. After you finish the program you can jump right into 30 second intervals (the second program I listed or any other program you choose) or work up to it by repeating the last week in the conditioning program but increasing the running intervals by 5 seconds each week like I did until you reach 30, but I would think 8 weeks of conditioning should be enough to prepare you to run 30 second intervals. I wish you best of luck!
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You might download the Map My Run Trainer and see what it suggests. It gives you the option to select what program you want to work on (5k, 10k, half marathon, etc) and then YOU enter how long YOU want to take to complete the program. Instead of 6 or 8 weeks, you can enter 6 months or a year and it will create a program for you. I am working my way up to a half marathon (not even close to there yet), I entered 6 months for completion and it gave me some weeks of pre-training before the legit training even begins. It's hard for me to follow a program though. Sometimes they tell me to run 2 minutes and I feel like I should go longer and sometimes it tells me to run 5 minutes and I just cannot make it yet. So I mostly follow the plans provided, but I do what feels best for me.