First 10k race... tell me it will be all right?

Options
I've not been running long, having built up to 5 miles three times a week. I vary the terrain, some on roads and some off across the fields, and it usually feels tough but do-able. There's a 10k just down the road from my house - very beginner friendly, fairly quiet - and I have been persuaded to give it a go in two weeks time.

Someone tell me that I'll be fine? It doesn't matter if I have to slow right down or even walk, and the longest time from last year was over two hours - so I can definitely finish in less than that!

I'm just suddenly very nervous!

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    you will be fine. I'm a new runner and run 4 miles a day 3-4 times a week. Last Saturday I ran 9 miles. The base fitness is there you will be able to finish.

I have no desire to run in races but like you I was talked into running a race. the one I'll be running in is a 5k which isn't that much but I don't want a crappy time So I am gonna spend a month working on some speed.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Should be fine, longest I had done before doing 10k was 5k. The 10k took me an hour and a few minutes. I walked briefly to get my heart rate off the limiter.

I've done 5k in just under 30 minutes, for comparison.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My first 10k i had only run just over 5 miles beforehand, you'll be fine!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dude. You so got this. You're gonna be great! Just find out if there will be water along the course, or if you need to carry your own. My most recent 5K I brought my hydration pack just because I had to take a train to and from the race and wanted to stay hydrated. Turns out, I was unusually thirsty on that run and I ended up really needing my water (I forget my gum, it was hotter than usual, plus I think I was just really nervous.) Just something you might want to think about. But don't worry, you've been putting in some good runs! You're gonna rock it.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, I never ran more than 3-4 miles before my first 10 k.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I decided to run my first race when after a run, I opened the paper and saw a half marathon for the following morning. I was very nervous but did fine. You got this!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Running as much as you do, you'll enjoy it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am gonna tell you just what you want to hear.. you asked so here it is...

It's gonna be alright and you will be fine!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "having built up to 5 miles three times a week" With this having been done, you can do the 10K. Enjoy yourself, the crowd, your fellow runners and the experience. Be careful, it can be "addicting". Get hooked doing one race and you'll soon be looking for races on a regular basis.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, I promise. Just stick to your usual routine and it will be a breeze. And when I say stick to your usual routine, I mean don't try anything different. Wear your normal running gear, eat whatever it is you always eat to fuel your run, and get out there and enjoy yourself. You'll have a blast. Oh, and don't forget to smile for the camera at the finish line.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    IF you can run 3 miles, by yourself, you can run 6 miles with a large group of people...
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You'll manage a 10k fine I'm sure, as everyone says. I was really surprised when I did my first 'race' (a 10k too) how much I got out of it. I liked training for something, I was really surprised how much I liked being cheered on by family, friends or strangers (having always thought I would NEVER want to be seen running by anyone ever!), and I still treasure any race medals or T-shirts way more than I ever expected. Of course, you might not like it, but so what? It's only an hour or so out of your day and you don't have to ever do it again if it doesn't suit you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i feel confident that you will be alright

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    <--- that's me doing the 10K right here.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I got beat by a guy in a wheelchair at my last 10K... jk... but I really DID get beat by a kid with 1 leg at my last 5k. Run for fun, not for time and you'll be pleasantly surprised by your results!

I'll tell you what my trainer told me when I got anxious about my half training mileage increasing every week. He said "at this point, what's another mile?" And as silly as it sounds, it's true. It's just another mile. Another 11 minutes (for me). I can do anything for another 11 minutes, right? So you're at 5 miles now. What's another mile?
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yup. You're running 5 miles now, so an extra mile and a bit is doable and if you start to flag at the end.... Slow down a bit.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Let me tell ya something... I'm in a wheelchair. I decided "I am going to do a 10K!" about ~6 weeks before the 10K.

I smashed that 10K so hard I finished in 51 minutes. In a wheelchair. Among able-bodied runners.

You can do it.

dude... That's freaking awesome ! Congrats on the time and the effort. You're an inspiration, that's for sure.
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You totally got this. Why? Because you've already gotten into a running habit, because just like any fitness programme if you pick a pace - your pace - you can do it, and lastly because you'll have a brilliant crowd cheering you on. You go for it!!! And let us know how you get on :smile:
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You'll be totally fine. If you can run 5 miles you can easily finish a 10k. If you want to prove it to yourself before the race run a slow paced 10k this week.

Your first race will be super fun. You'll probably be surprised at how fast your time is and how much easier it is to run faster during a race. Just be sure to pace yourself and not to get caught up in the excitement at the start and go out to fast. It's a lot easier to go out slower and make up the time at the end if you're feeling good than to go out too fast and tank at the end (or earlier).