half way to goal and burned out

Options
I started actively using MFP about 4 months ago, with a goal of losing 50-60 pounds. However, since I hit 25 pounds down a few weeks ago, I've found myself to be extremely unmotivated. While I'm not completely satisfied with where I am, I feel like I've settled for it being "good enough" for now. I want to keep going, but I feel burned out and resentful that I've been cutting calories for so long. While I know it's for the best, it's almost like my inner monologue is telling me that I'm being forced to do this, instead of making this choice for a healthier life.

Has anyone else felt this way? How do you regain focus and get back in the right mindset to hit your goal?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why not eat at your maintenance level for a month? Give yourself a break. You need to do this anyway when you reach your goal.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    take a week off from your schedule. If you work out every day, take a few rest days during the week. If you log each day, take a few days off from the weighing and measuring. Just make sure you give yourself a deadline to get back to it.
  • cchang3
    cchang3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you allow for cheat days from your meal plan? Do you take rest days from exercise?
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I actually did try to give myself a break. This all started back over the 4th of July when I went on a trip and decided to get myself a little slack. The problem is, I haven't been able to get back on track since then. I've struggled so much to start diligently tracking again. It used to be so easy to me, but now it feels like a chore.

I don't really allow cheat days, but I do have days that I run that I allow myself a little bit more. (about 3-4 days a week)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why not eat at your maintenance level for a month? Give yourself a break. You need to do this anyway when you reach your goal.

This. I take maintenance breaks when I start to feel unmotivated and they help tremendously.
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This. I take maintenance breaks when I start to feel unmotivated and they help tremendously.

While I've taken breaks, I usually don't log during that time. Maybe I'm still not getting enough calories for maintenance (I was still tracking my weight, and I wasn't gaining during these times, even losing slightly). I might try to log to maintenance and see if that helps.
  • EmmaJHare78
    EmmaJHare78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also hit the halfway point blues when I'd lost around 22 lbs. I was bored of constantly logging food and thinking about my meal plans.

However, after a few days of just eating at maintainance I got back on the horse! I'm using my clothes as a motivator. I've kept a pair of trousers from at my fattest to see how far I've come and I have a dress that's going to fit at my goal weight so I can see that actually I do need to keep going.

I think a few days off does you good when you're feeling bitter about dieting but try to focus on why you wanted to lose the weight in the first place and maybe treat yourself (with non-food related treats) every time you lose 5 lbs.

Good luck!
  • cricketbird1
    cricketbird1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's been a long haul for me but I am so on track now and highly motivated. Weight is coming off and energy is totally there. I can thank God for my nutrition plan.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Take a maintenance break like advised above.
    If you don't want to log be aware of your portion sizes.

When you come back set your weekly weight loss goal lower. ie: 1lbs a week instead of 1.5-2.
    Also, decide to follow MFP as it is set up and start eating your exercise calories back. 50-75% to start with and adjusting up or down so you are meeting your weekly weight loss goal.

Burn out happens a lot when you aren't feeding both your daily activity and your exercise on a larger than needed deficit.

Take it slower when you start up again.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had maybe six months of slack tracking. So gained a bit, lost a bit and so on. Never really putting the motivation in. So I can sympathise!

I'm back on it now though, I have a target and a few things coming up where I know I'll be pleased if I keep going. Maybe you can find a focus? Some point in the future where you'll be pleased you stuck with it? (Mine are my birthday, photos on holiday and my friends wedding where I might finally not look like the fat one!)

Maybe I'm odd but I think back at "past me" and I'm so pleased I started or I wouldn't be here now. I want "future me" to be able to look back and saw I kept going. No way "future me" is going to be happy if I give up entirely.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Avoid the cheat days. Rather than looking at maintenance calories for your current weight, aim for maintenance at your goal weight. You'll get a double advantage: 1) you'll still lose a little weight and 2) you'll get to see how you need to eat once you reach your goal. Really you could just continue to eat at your goal weight maintenance until you reach the goal weight. It might take longer but it would certainly teach you how you need to eat to maintain that weight once you reach your goal.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Like many people said, eat at maintenance or take a break from logging. Then when you get back maybe go for mini-goals. I know it can seem like FOREVER until you get to your goal. My goal is 70 to lose but I have no set date. I set dates for every 10 pounds (and don't give up if I don't hit my goal on that exact date) And rewards, like another poster said, those help too.
    Good job on the loss and diligently tracking for 4 months! I know it's hard to ask for help!
    Also, maybe join a challenge on here? The two I am in are great motivators and everyone is supportive and easy going.
    Good luck! You can do this!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started may 4th of last year and completely lost all motivation and drive in November. At that point I as down 50 lbs. I promised myself I would maintain my weight loss within 3 pounds. I did that until about 4 days ago when I found the drive again. I had gained back 2.9 lbs but have 2.4 of of it again. :) If you're feeling burnt out I'd just give yourself a little slack and set a hard number. You can NOT go above xxx weight again. Or maybe do something to motivate yourself again. Check your measurents. Take progress pics. Buy a gym membership. Try a new workout program. Try and light the fire again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not too late to keep making adjustments. One I detect needs to be made is that you have not yet made a lifelong lifestyle change. That is, you've been on a diet. As a person who, for all the best and highest quality of interests, wishes to lose another 25 lb, you're writing as a yo-yo dieter at the lowest reach of the yo-yo. You're letting Discouragement write. Fight that S.O.B. I'm cheering for you.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've been doing great.
    Don't stop now!
    Take a break if u need to.
    Don't exclude foods you like.
    Don't eat stuff you don't like all of the time.
    Have fun w it, plan meals you are excited about.