Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Separated egg whites supposedly don't work for whipping. The only time I separate eggs is when I'm making an angel food cake or waffles.

I actually have used liquid egg whites for whipping in cakes. The key is to get a carton not anywhere close to expiration date.

OP I break open the shell in half and separate it that way. After a couple of failures you get the hang of it and if you do not bust the yolk a spoon will get that yoke right out of there!

I buy egg whites in a carton and buy way less whole eggs and sometimes I use whole egg with a mix of the egg whites.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    that thing above me is simply disgusting. Love the dark sense of humor though.. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Walmart should have one fairly cheap. I can't separate eggs using the shells for shizzle. It's why my white cakes are always yellow.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pcs-Plastic-Egg-Yolk-White-Separator-Divider-Boiler-Sieve-Holder/45588384

I found something like this while cleaning out my future-mother-in-law's kitchen drawers. Haven't used it yet. Seems like it should work.

fffae28c-1778-456b-9eeb-76ac7aa7fe92_1.a5e72fa16264c2c01f6f46de84b279fe.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just use the shell.

My mum used to put the egg on a saucer and use an egg cup to trap the yolk.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »

I bought one of those to donate to the school fair.

For some reason, it was one of the last unclaimed prizes in the tombola :smiley:
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    LessofAJ wrote: »
    I crack the egg in half and pour it back and forth into the shell halfs until they separate. Easy peasy and free. Lol

ditto
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I do the egg shell back and forth thing too. Of course, one has to be practiced enough to crack the egg cleanly instead of crushing the shell in to little bits.

Would a slotted spoon do the trick?

I do the slotted spoon. Works very nicely for me.
  • your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You can use a water bottle too.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-dZL1i_HA

I tried this and it worked!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just use your hands. Easy as pie. The white slips through your fingers.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use my hands but it took we a while to do that because I couldn't get over the feeling at first. Then I just got used to it.

But until then I used the egg separator from pampered chef (link below). Mine lasted for 10 years, so good quality. Never had problems with my egg yolk breaking (which seemed to happen to me with some other methods). It also has a curve in the handle so you can rest in a bowl or the side of the pan. It's helpful for people who need to use both hands to crack an egg but put it directly into the pan or bowl.

I've used some plastic ones before like the one from WalMart and one of the problems I had was the design because you get that part of the egg white that is like a "clump" I really don't know what it's called our anyway to describe it. but that part would be stuck in the separator because of the design (don't ask why because I don't know, maybe it was my eggs). But this pampered chef one never had that problem.

Also a little trick if you want to do the method using the shell back and forth. Hit the side of the egg on a flat surface (counter) not on the edge of the bowl. It will make a cleaner break and less like to get sharp pieces that can cause your yolk to break. I was doing it the other way for so long and was told to do it the other way...I was amazed!

There are many different things that work for others. Find what works for you and your needs.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Bakeware/Pastry+&+Baking+Tools/Egg+Separator/1187
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just use your hands. Easy as pie. The white slips through your fingers.

This is what I do.