*kitten* to the grass squatting

Options
I've done Les Mills Pump videos on and off for the past year and I just started a round today that I'm going to follow through from start to finish.

Anyways, they don't squat super low (mostly parallel or just above) in the video but I want to start squatting lot (*kitten* to the grass as they say). Problem is, I cant even get parallel without feeling like my inner thighthare going9pjli1e9g1zl.png
to tear apart. I've worked on stretching out my hamstrings but hasn't done much so wondering if anyone has any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Anyways, they don't squat super low (mostly parallel or just above) in the video but I want to start squatting lot (*kitten* to the grass as they say). Problem is, I cant even get parallel without feeling like my inner thighthare going to tear apart.

Those are your hip adductor muscles. Try stretching them in a chair a few times a day for 30+ seconds:
    exrx.net/Stretches/HipAdductors/SeatedAdductorMagnus.html

Also practice holding a deep squat for 30+ seconds, with no weights, daily. This explains how:
    stack.com/a/third-world-squat

Post an update next week. :+1:
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    are you tight before you squat? Take a minute to focus and get your legs tight and squeeze all your muscles as hard as you can, this will take the pressure off your inner thighs. You have to press your knees out throughout the entire movement. torque your feet into the ground. Open at the hips, pressing your knees out. Stay tight, every muscle engaged. Some people think about spreading the floor with their feet on the way up. I'd suggest not switching to goblet, but keep the bar on your back, if you need to go lighter, go with less weight on the bar.

I only had 10 lb plates on. I could just use the bar (I believe it's 5 lbs). But it doesn't feel heavy at all. I will do what you've suggested though and try it out :)
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    It takes time and practice. If the body is saying no, then you run the risk of injuring yourself. So don't take your *kitten* to the grass yet.

Get a trainer to watch your form initially and then they will be able to assist on position and application.

I got a trainer once. She almost killed me. Seriously. I spent half hour sitting on the gym floor not able to stand after I repeatedly told her I needed to back off a little because I was really dizzy. She appologized after and said she wasn't going to charge me for the session lol. I should just try another one, but the thought makes me anxious
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Anyways, they don't squat super low (mostly parallel or just above) in the video but I want to start squatting lot (*kitten* to the grass as they say). Problem is, I cant even get parallel without feeling like my inner thighthare going to tear apart.

Those are your hip adductor muscles. Try stretching them in a chair a few times a day for 30+ seconds:
    exrx.net/Stretches/HipAdductors/SeatedAdductorMagnus.html

Also practice holding a deep squat for 30+ seconds, with no weights, daily. This explains how:
    stack.com/a/third-world-squat

Post an update next week. :+1:

Awesome! Will do!
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    It takes time and practice. If the body is saying no, then you run the risk of injuring yourself. So don't take your *kitten* to the grass yet.

Get a trainer to watch your form initially and then they will be able to assist on position and application.

I got a trainer once. She almost killed me. Seriously. I spent half hour sitting on the gym floor not able to stand after I repeatedly told her I needed to back off a little because I was really dizzy. She appologized after and said she wasn't going to charge me for the session lol. I should just try another one, but the thought makes me anxious
    What the motherfudge... That sucks.

I would ask around with some students prior to picking one. The students/clients will tell you who is good and who isn't. Someone said goblet squats. That is a good exercise to practice form. Did you try just with the 45lb barbell first?

Lol the barbell is only 5 lbs. Not 45
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    I would start lighter, try goblet squats.
    women%2527s%2Bhealth%2B-%2BGOBLET%2BSQUAT%2B00021.jpeg

This girl freaks me out. No one is that happy when they squat.

Hahaha. I like squats but hate lunges. Would rather get a root canal.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestion of goblet squats. Having some weight helps push you down, and they are somewhat easier and different because you hold the weight in front. I think you should try it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Oh and I should also add -- there's no need to go all the way to the floor with it, but it would be a good idea to get a bit below parallel if you're capable of it.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Alright. Goblet squat - check. Hip adductor stretches - check. Thanks everyone!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If I squat with a wide stance (not as wide as sumo) I have trouble with depth. Your stance seems pretty wide so you might narrow it a bit. Try rotating your feet out a bit more and see how that feels with a narrower stance.
    Around shoulder width or so.

Stance is an individual thing so feel free to experiment until you find what works.

Good luck.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I would start lighter, try goblet squats.
    women%2527s%2Bhealth%2B-%2BGOBLET%2BSQUAT%2B00021.jpeg

Hahaha. I like squats but hate lunges. Would rather get a root canal.

Truth.

yup !! same here.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Depends on how backed up they were before hand. :)

*couldn't resist*

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, sit in a squat a few times per day everyday. I started this a few weeks ago and could barely sit there for 30 seconds. I can sit in a squat for 2 mins or more now. I have to say I've been a little hit and miss doing it but, it works.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Tight hip flexors are a major cause of not getting to parallel or lower.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/break-up-those-hips-and-fix-that-squat
  • SerenaMcD43
    SerenaMcD43 Posts: 20 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Following advice given to me on this forum, I have been squatting with my heels on a couple of plates. I can squat deep while doing this and also practice without my heels raised. I am improving for sure and wonder that maybe some bodies just need to learn a pattern of movement.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Good advice already.

Would say don't give up on working with a trainer. Do try to find a good one.

I went with a place that trains athletes - private gym.

Starting this at 46 w/stuff to deal with like knee issues I really wanted to get it right and learn good form.

So far so good. Back squat was the first thing we added w/a barbell. Haven't added weight yet, but do a lot of lower body work - lunges, split squat, goblet squats on and off plates, and balance work. Just added barbell bench press last week IIRC and barbell RDL yesterday - bar plus bumper plates. That is about 14 hours in.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Goblet squats are actually a fantastic suggestion in some cases because there is a strong balance component associated with squatting.

Typically people are able to go deeper into a goblet squat than they are with a barbell (the load in front better counter-balances the hips going back) and so the goblet squat can be used as a tool to teach people proper squatting mechanics while still giving a good training stimulus and frequent goblet squatting can also improve the mobility required to barbell squat since you're taking your joints through a similar ROM.

Goblet squats also MAY have a slightly lower recovery component since you're using (typically) lower loads -- and this is potentially valuable because it makes them a good option for doing at a high frequency. Possibly even daily if you don't overload too much.

If it were ME I would do the following things:

1) Goblet squat frequently.
    2) Practice the barbell squat 3-5 times per week with the empty barbell to start
    3) Experiment with stance width and toe angle in such a way that you start at shoulder width, do a couple of reps, go 2-3" wider, repeat, go narrower, repeat, evaluate which feels best and which is easiest to get deeper with, and start with that stance width.

Agree with all this. It does sound like you have tight adductors which you can gain flexibility in as you get better at the movement. Starting with a more narrow stance and working your way out is a great suggestion for that. I would also add that videoing yourself from the side to check your form with each set will help you to learn what getting to depth feels like. Sometimes ankle flexibility can be an issue also, so make sure and warm them up too.