Not enough calories but too much sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think that people should do what works for them whether that be low-fat, low-carb, etc. The most successful diet is one you can stick to! :)
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE! All of your responses were really helpful, I'm probably just going to ignore what my sugar intake is as long as I'm just eating fruits/veggies when it goes over. If it's for other reasons...then I might have to change my eating plan for the better.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    It would help to see your diary.

It depends on where those sugars are coming from... If it is from natural fruit/veggies/yogurt then I would say it is okay. If it is from candy/chocolate then I would worry. I go over on sugar all the time but it is from the delicious peach that I just ate as my afternoon snack... Not the Snickers bar that some people eat for an afternoon snack.
  • k8edge
    Options
    A lot of times when things are listed as "low fat" they are loaded up with sugar to suppliment taste.

True story... Check the lables.
  • k8edge
    Options
    Yeah, if you are getting sugar from fruit it really is way better than processed/packaged foods.

How about peanut butter or nuts? I know peanut butter has sugar, but it may not be too bad?

Nuts have a lot of calories but are low in sugar in sodium.
    I'm addicted to the Emerald Cocoa Almonds!!!!! :love:
    They are my go to snack. 1/4 of a cup easily over 100 calories and you can pair them up with yogurt.

Peanut butter has a TON of sugar in it. Added sugar too... So unless you are roasting your own peanuts and crushing them into peanut butter you can still expect to have added sugar.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I took sugar off, so I don't have to look at it but I am very aware of processed sugar I eat. Most of the sugar I do eat comes from fruit and a couple of teaspoons of agave nectar in my tea. I think that if the sugar comes from a natural source then it's okay.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you are getting sugar from fruit it really is way better than processed/packaged foods.

How about peanut butter or nuts? I know peanut butter has sugar, but it may not be too bad?

They are my go to snack. 1/4 of a cup easily over 100 calories and you can pair them up with yogurt.

Peanut butter has a TON of sugar in it. Added sugar too... So unless you are roasting your own peanuts and crushing them into peanut butter you can still expect to have added sugar.

There are a lot of no-sugar/salt/oil added PBs out there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

SOME peanut butter has added sugar. But if you buy natural peanut butter is has no ingredients except peanuts or peanuts and salt (depending on whether you buy it with salt or not). Nothing else added, including sugar.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and pay a lot of attention to sugar. I try to eat less than 24 grams a day, and am often able to do this. Number one I don't eat much fruit. I do eat a lot of vegetables and a lot of meats. I eat very little breads. Basically I do the whole "if it's white or could be white don't eat it" thing. That saves a lot of sugar. Also, I don't eat processed foods. I only eat fruit about once or twice a week. By fruit I mean sweet fruits like apples, pears, strawberries, etc. When I do eat peppers, and tomatoes, squash, etc. I do eat a lot of beans too.

Doing all that I usually come in under the 24 grams without much problem.
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eat eggs!!!!!!!!!!! 1 gram of carbs and 80 calories for an extra large egg

I just want to say that an egg, while having low carbs and no sugar has a lot of cholesterol. A hard-boiled egg, for example has 577 mg of cholesterol. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/117/2 (this is 136 grams)

When you compare that to beef (beef, bottom sirloin, tri-tip, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, cooked, roasted), you have a cholesterol level of 556 mg. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7389/2 this is 591 grams of the roast.

Cholesterol wise, I think both are not acceptable. I would suffer a bit more fat and have the delicious beef, right!

I don't prefer a whole bunch of steak myself. And I think having one or two eggs everyday isn't going to be the thing that kills your diet. I don't fry my eggs in butter or oil.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    eat eggs!!!!!!!!!!! 1 gram of carbs and 80 calories for an extra large egg

I just want to say that an egg, while having low carbs and no sugar has a lot of cholesterol. A hard-boiled egg, for example has 577 mg of cholesterol. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/117/2 (this is 136 grams)

When you compare that to beef (beef, bottom sirloin, tri-tip, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, cooked, roasted), you have a cholesterol level of 556 mg. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7389/2 this is 591 grams of the roast.

Cholesterol wise, I think both are not acceptable. I would suffer a bit more fat and have the delicious beef, right!

I don't prefer a whole bunch of steak myself. And I think having one or two eggs everyday isn't going to be the thing that kills your diet. I don't fry my eggs in butter or oil.

Research dietary cholesterol vs blood cholesterol and you might be surprised. Here's an article to get you started. http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. I try and keep sugar under 20 grams. But I just had a medium apple and it was 17 grams.. I don't eat refined sugar and we have such a limited supply of fresh fruit around here that I eat it when I can get it. In the winter we don't eat a lot of fruit because number 1 we don't have a lot and number 2 it is so expensive. I am trying not to worry to much about sugar in fruit, but don't eats tons of it either.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You are very smart to want to reduce your sugar intake. I'm on a diet specific to low sugar, high fiber and whole grains instead of processed flour or white rice. I don't count calories. I count sugar - under 20g per day and Fiber 30g+ per day. I don't worry about fat or calories. I've lost quite a bit of weight doing this.

Most fruits are out, but I do have berries as a treat - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. If you use jam, choose Smucker's Sugar free - the blackberry is my favorite. Sometimes a splash of Ocean Spray DIET CranRaspberry in some diet sprite with a squeeze of lime for flavor and vitamin C. (Do not get the low-sugar or no-sugar-added juices, as these have more sugar than the "diet" juice. Never drink sports drinks unless they are sugar free. Try sugar free pudding, jello or fiber one yogurt as a snack. Milk has quite a bit of sugar so try the unsweetened soy or almond milk. I am not fond of the soy milk but the unsweetened almond milk with vanilla over cereal and a packet or two of Splenda or Truvia is amazing. It also has calcium, so I will probably never drink milk again. Stay away from certain veggies or limit them to once a week, such as corn, potatoes, carrots tomatoes and peas. Most importantly, read labels especially on breads, cereals and frozen entrees and make choices that suit your needs. a white pasta sauce is going to have MUCH less sugar than a red spaghetti sauce.

I think you'll find that low sugar items compete well with respect to calories with low-fat or diet food items. I don't watch my fat too much. I avoid things like bacon and excessive uses of oil in the pan and I use low-fat cheese, but that's about it. I do fasting blood tests every three months, and with my sugar/fiber changes, I've not only lost weight, but my cholesterol, blood pressure and blood-sugar levels have improved immensely.

Oh, I almost forgot... if you need something sweet once in a while, try Dove sugar-free chocolates or Reeses sugar-free peanut butter cups, or Russel Stover chocolates, which are all very good. The sugar free hard candies must be easier to pull off because I have yet to have a bad one, but some of the chocolates are not very good. I advise that you not eat too many sugar-free sweets, including the pudding and jello, as "sugar alcohol" is used which can give you gas and loose stool if you eat too much of it - stick to the label's serving size. For an awesome low sugar treat, see if you can find Hill and Valley cookies in your store's bakery section. They have no-sugar and no-sugar-added cookies that are awesome. The downfall is that they are 150 calories each, but on weekend mornings, I will sometimes just have a cookie or two in place of breakfast with a cup of coffee.

Here's the web site to Hill and Valley: http://www.hillandvalley.net/products-cookies.php

That should be enough info to get you started. Read labels... Good luck.

Roni
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    yeah, same story for me.
  • MaeganHH
    Options
    I'm glad to see that others are going over their sugar intake.. I'm known to have a sweet tooth, so I just figured that I eat too much sugar! However when looking at my sugar intake it is predominately coming from natural sources (mostly apples, carrots and if I have a tablespoon of honey on my weetbix) However is sugar harder to burn that just normal fats? Or is it ok to be going over my sugar levels every day? I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and as opposed to having sugar etc on my cereal I just have a drizzle of honey.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Try the "S.O.S. Diet" book by Dr. James Surrell. It's a very simple read - you can read it in a couple hours, and he has lots of tips, tricks and even lists a food items you can add to your day. (S.O.S. stands for "Stop Only Sugar".) I've lost 47 pounds, by following his two simple rules, and following his advice to read all labels/nutrition content - even on the fruits and veggies that I eat.

Look at your fruit intake in your diary. Does this consist of most of your sugar intake? If so, then try eliminating a little of your fruit sugar by eating lower sugar fruit like blueberries, blackberries and strawberries, or eliminate some servings of fruit and replace it with vegetables until you are satisfied with the amount of sugar you are getting. If you like the sweetness - try red, yellow and orange bell peppers. Tomatoes are high in sugar just like fruit, so keep an eye out for the sugar you are getting in tomatoes too.

I don't want to discourage intake of these natural foods, but you may actually be eating too much fruit. Any healthy diet should include more vegetables than any other food item, including fruit. And, if you're replacing fruit with veggies, you're likely not losing out on any necessary nutrients.
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    Your body can't tell the difference if it's natural or refined. The BIG difference is that fruits have fiber which slows down absorption and makes those sugars enter the blood stream at a steady pace. Also, sugars have vitamins. Stick to berries ( raspberries, blueberries, cranberries) for low in carbs, sugar, and calorie fruits. Frozen cranberries are great because they don't really spoil and they taste like a frozen treat. I have sylvestre gymnema extract for those days when I feel like I'm eating a lot of sugar. Just be careful, it's very effective and may lower your blood sugar too low. Cinnamon regulates it without dropping it too low, so I try to add cinnamon to everything. As long as I do that, I'm not too concerned over my intake of fruits.