Do you eat differently or just recuce portions?

Options
RKA625
RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
I basically eat the same things I've always eaten, I just reduce portions and measure instead of slopping it onto my plate without measuring.

I can't afford to buy all healthy stuff, I shop sales.

Oh and no-one in my family is a veggie lover, so it's hard to make family meals that everyone will eat, even DH will throw a fit if I make a veggie based meal.

I'm hoping just staying within my calorie limit every day and exercising will help me lose.

(OMG, sorry for the stinkin typos today, my brain is not working - computer troubles have me irritated)

Replies

• RKA625
    Options
    I basically eat the same things I've always eaten, I just reduce portions and measure instead of slopping it onto my plate without measuring.

Oh and no-one in my family is a veggie lover, so it's hard to make family meals that everyone will eat, even DH will throw a fit if I make a veggie based meal.

I'm hoping just staying within my calorie limit every day and exercising will help me lose.

(OMG, sorry for the stinkin typos today, my brain is not working - computer troubles have me irritated)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
    I just portion control/ calorie restrict.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I do both. Hubby isn't much for veggies but a couple of the kids like it. As long as the others get their fat and grease a few times a week they're happy.
  • chiefsfan1
    Options
    I've just cut back on calories. I believe that if you take everything away from yourself, you'll be more likely to slip up and overdo it. I still have my Dr. Pepper, but I have 1 a day. Also, I still eat an Oreo once and a while, but just one, not half the package
  • JolandaW
    JolandaW Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started out reducing my portions but I found that what I was eating was still killing my calorie intake, so i've started swapping certain foods for healthier ingredients and have upped my vegetables.

I am staying away from chocolate and chips and if I do have a craving, I go for weight watchers chips. I agree that it can be expensive and I try to buy everything on discount.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
    I just portion control/ calorie restrict.

Ditto again! I did make an effort to just stop making some things though (fettuchinie alfredo, tacos, etc) but I have since found low calorie versions of them like the Biggest Loser Baked Ziti recipe and SoupNazi's taco salad recipe. I've also strated 'drinking' my veggies just so that I'm not lacking the essential nutrients. Oh, and I drink tons of water. :drinker:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

It's a shame that you equate "healthy stuff" with "expensive". Ain't necessarily so.

As to no-one in my family is a veggie lover :wink: if the DH throw's a fit, tell him he can go to the kitchen and cook himself some that he'd prefer :laugh: The kids will probably be easier to work with.

Seriously, as I mentioned in an earlier post "Eat food (i.e. not processed krap), not too much, mostly vegetables."

:flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I changed the way I eat - I tried reducing portions, but then I craved more (who can eat just 7 potato chips??) I had to cut the cycle, and swtiched foods around. It works so far - instead of craving a baked potato with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, etc. I would rather eat a baked sweet potato with nothing on it. I'm not making that choice because I "have to" (or because it is a better choice) but because that is what I WANT to eat now. It is odd, but after 3 years of doing this, the foods my body craves have changed completely.

I don't think there is one way of eating that will fit everyone, and I do struggle with my DH who looks at my "rabbit" food in horror and we have a lot of "creative" dinners, but we make it work. On the plus side, the kids are slowly learning to like healthier foods (and are making healthy choices).

The rule in our house is whoever is making dinner, gets to decide what to put on the table and that's usually me :laugh:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options

I do both, one night I'll cook healthy the next something they like, sloppy joes etc. I have made them start eating better one night at a time
  • RKA625
    Options
    If there is something healthier than the version I'm buying and it's about the same price, I'll buy it. But certain things are more expensive, like lean beef and such.

The past 2 days I've had turkey franks and banquet chicken nuggets for lunch and still stayed a tiny bit under my daily limit. I get small subs now instead of large subs, and I do find myself feeling full after smaller portions. I think before, I'd just eat them because they were on my plate.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

It's a shame that you equate "healthy stuff" with "expensive". Ain't necessarily so.

As to no-one in my family is a veggie lover :wink: if the DH throw's a fit, tell him he can go to the kitchen and cook himself some that he'd prefer :laugh: The kids will probably be easier to work with.

Seriously, as I mentioned in an earlier post "Eat food (i.e. not processed krap), not too much, mostly vegetables."

:flowerforyou:

I find it's much more expensive to eat better.
    For example, low calorie cheese (or organic!!) costs so much more than generic store brand.
    Fruit and veggies may not be extremely expensive, but if I buy fruits and veggies and no one eats them except me, and they rot, then that was a wastefully expensive purchase. (My husband and daughter won't eat veggies with me.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I changed the way I eat - I tried reducing portions, but then I craved more (who can eat just 7 potato chips??) I had to cut the cycle, and swtiched foods around. It works so far - instead of craving a baked potato with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, etc. I would rather eat a baked sweet potato with nothing on it. I'm not making that choice because I "have to" (or because it is a better choice) but because that is what I WANT to eat now. It is odd, but after 3 years of doing this, the foods my body craves have changed completely.

I don't think there is one way of eating that will fit everyone, and I do struggle with my DH who looks at my "rabbit" food in horror and we have a lot of "creative" dinners, but we make it work. On the plus side, the kids are slowly learning to like healthier foods (and are making healthy choices).

The rule in our house is whoever is making dinner, gets to decide what to put on the table and that's usually me :laugh:

I like the way you think! Very good post. Thanks.