full, full full

Options
maybe I'm not understanding how this works.....I'm normally a pretty regular eater but wanting to try calorie counting to track my portions a little better but to be honest I can't eat this much. I'm running out of proteins before my calories, carbs and fats have been eaten. I'm even cut odwn my work outs because I can't eat the extra calories.

Does anyone have some advise? I must have been livving in la-la land to thinkt hat I knew what a balanced diet was before

Help wanted

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    there are a decent amount of people on here (including me) that think the protein levels are too low on here. You can customize your diary. Honestly though protein would not be my worry on all the things you could go over.

Im also a firm believer in fueling your body as it signals. Thats the only way you TRULY learn how to stop eating when full and to eat when hungry. If I have an intense workout I cant eat all teh cals back thats for sure! the next day I tend to be more hungry and just make healthy choices, I sometimes go over a bit the next day but dont beat myself up over it.
  • rachaelhefner
    Options
    I just try to eat my food calories because if I had to eat my exercise calories too, I would never get there!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    there are a decent amount of people on here (including me) that think the protein levels are too low on here. You can customize your diary. Honestly though protein would not be my worry on all the things you could go over.

Im also a firm believer in fueling your body as it signals. Thats the only way you TRULY learn how to stop eating when full and to eat when hungry. If I have an intense workout I cant eat all teh cals back thats for sure! the next day I tend to be more hungry and just make healthy choices, I sometimes go over a bit the next day but dont beat myself up over it.

Ditto! Don't worry about going over in protein.

I kind of wish MFP had an option to roll workout calories because I also tend to be more hungry the next day, especially after something more vigorous like running.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dont worry about protein s if I am over then it is good for me. I try to keep my carbs, bad fats, and sodium lower and meet the calcium requirements.
    A lot of the time i eat so healthy that i have too much calories left for the day so i am trying to eat more snacks and actually add extra oils in there.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem - The more balanced and fresh/clean I eat, the less I can actually eat. On days that I do two workouts (about three times a week) I have a hard time getting a net over 900 cals. I am STUFFED on lean protiens and fiber-rich veggies.

One thing I am going to try out is to eat a bigger breakfast... if I can get 100-200 more calories in at breakfast it might help offset the workouts a bit better. Right now my breakfasts are only about 300-400 calories. I could easily have 600cal at breakfast when I know I'm going to burn 600+ through exercise. We'll see how it affects my losses, I suppose.
  • tonialeem
    tonialeem Posts: 42
    Options
    oh thank goodness,,,,,I kept reading others entries and everyone sounded like they knew how to use this and was wondering why the heck I wasn't getting it LOL
    I tend to be hungrier the next day too but likely because I'm working out in the evenings.
    Do work out Calories have to be consumed?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I dont worry about protein s if I am over then it is good for me. I try to keep my carbs, bad fats, and sodium lower and meet the calcium requirements.
    A lot of the time i eat so healthy that i have too much calories left for the day so i am trying to eat more snacks and actually add extra oils in there.

Same! I'm trying to have more snacks that include fruit and/or cheese so that I know I'm getting some fats and good sugars.

Also, you know what? I went back to putting mayo on my sandwiches. Not the most healthy fats, but I've got plenty of room for it, and it does magical things to a turkey and swiss. It makes me so happy to know I can have mayo on my sandwich and it won't hurt me.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    oh thank goodness,,,,,I kept reading others entries and everyone sounded like they knew how to use this and was wondering why the heck I wasn't getting it LOL
    I tend to be hungrier the next day too but likely because I'm working out in the evenings.
    Do work out Calories have to be consumed?

consuming workout calories is highly advised, because MFP already creates a calorie deficit for you, and it depends on your belief on starvation mode. I will say if you plateau for a couple of weeks do try eating more cals (even a day of bad ones) to see if that jolts things. If weightloss was a perfect science there wouldnt be nearly as many books out there, or "experts" as there are! the advice on here is great but you still have to adjust things to work for you. I followed many perfectly healthy eating plans before, and deprived myself of the sinful things I love, which is part of why I failed. Now I enjoy what I love as long as it fits in my calories (I have been known to use the elliptical to generate those calories!) and eat 90% of the way healthy.

Blessing and the curse of a site like this is the varying opinions :) but yeah If I remember correctly from your profile (popped on for 5 min before work earlier) you are trying to build muscle. The recommendations do vary but when building muscle in women its .7-1.0 grams of protein per lb of body weight for your daily diet (lancearmstrong.com) but I know the FDA recommendation is .5-.7 grams per lb of body weight for a female depending on age & height.

And per many trainers and physicians, muscle burns more calorie at rest then fat :) so youre doing ALOT right by adding strength training to your cardio

**Edit: I do not always consume my excercise calories, the estimate MFP gives you isnt always accurate and I just cant eat that much! I do try to actually have a net though (I was almost negative cals one day because of the heat and being active all day I hadnt eaten much) my NET usually stays above 1000