Recovery time?

Options
I'm just starting to ramp up my working out again and I'm so sore haha. Any advice on what kind of schedule or programs to keep things going? I'm not good at targeting, meaning I don't like to do "legs one day and arms the next" as I prefer whole body workouts each time with some cardio mixed in. But I'm also terribly sore ha so wasn't sure if just pushing through was best or if I should modify what I'm doing, thank you!!

Replies

• your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I prefer the same type of workouts. I think you should listen to your body, hydrate well, and make sure you're stretching (once you're warmed up) and then at the end of your workouts. This way you'll be less likely to hurt yourself. Soreness is ok - you just don't want to pull a muscle - that will take a long time to heal and you'll know it.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ok so here's the thing. You can do whole body workouts back to back. The body will adjust as long as you don't go bananas. With that being said you got to hydrate, eat properly- good carbs, lean proteins, whole grains, fiber and balance calcium. And get good sleep! Sleep is when the body repairs itself.

So if you want to push yourself, you have to take care of yourself better. And I would say no more than enough days straight before a complete rest day.
  • foen_i
    foen_i Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you Do not SERIOUSLY overdo it rest is overrated. When I started with freeletics which at the time was really tough for out of shape past-me I did 3 month Without a single rest day. Just keep the pressure off of overly sore areas for a day and push through the rest. My advice. It will also strengthen your will to continue
  • raulfarfan
    raulfarfan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Recovery time depends on each individual and genetics ... there are mixed opinions as in many other fitness programs. What is true, however, is that you must always listen to your body and not over stress it. In my case I do spinning everyday and mixed weights afterwards and so far have not had any injury !!... i hope this is useful ;)
  • kenestrick1
    kenestrick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For most people it takes 24-48hours for muscles to repair themselves. Most of that happens while you sleep. Protein is a must. Good carbs are a must. Timing of your meals can help as well (like protein and carbs before AND after a workout). Do some research on amino acids and protein powders. There are some products out there that claim to help reduce lactic acid (why you get sore).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Your type or work outs, type or nutrition, and type/frequency or rests should be derived from your goals. So, without knowing that it's difficult to comment on anything else.