"Newbie" Gains Time Frame and Expectations

Options
nowine4me
nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
Stats: F/51/5-7"/155lbs/eat average 1,400 k-cal net per day
My goal for 2016 is to lose weight (62 pounds thus far of 85). My goal for 2017 is to maintain weight and build muscle (recomp). While in a deficit, I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5.

I made decent load gains in the first 6 months but have subsequently stalled on increasing weight on virtually all lifts. Am I doing myself any favors by continuing the SL program with minimal increases (like .5 a month) hoping to hold on to the muscle I have? Or should I truly be able to continue to increase my loads and build strength regardless of being in a calorie deficit? Stuck at: bench 65/OP 50/squat 75/deadlift 100/row 65. I walk every day and run 3-5 miles on non-lifting days.

Replies

• Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same thing all the time? Any isolation in there or resistance work?
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Just Stronglifts plus some push ups as part of my run.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There is a limit to strength gains while in a deficit. Have you tried a deload?

Remember. relatively speaking, as you are dropping your body weight you are lifting at a higher percentage of it. 50 lbs squat when you weighed 62lbs more was a lot easier to move.

Maybe try switching programmes. You could well have gone as far as you can right now.
    Move from a 5x5 to something like All Pro that increases reps over weight. (Got to admit a bias for the programme)

Cheers, h.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Thanks @middlehaitch. I'll check it out!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how motivated you are to continue with SL 5x5:-) Minimal gains are still strength gains! Everyday you go and train you are doing yourself a favor. I can relate to how it feels to be stuck:-/ When I started failing on overhead press, I deloaded and added shoulder accessory work. However, if you are bored with the SL5x5 program, definitely switch it up:-) Congrats on your current progress toward your goal!
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The five same exercises day in day out isn't an effective way to develop your body. The body is an exceptionally adaptive machine. In only takes a few weeks for adaptation to set in. You need to stimulate your muscles with different exercises. Bodybuilders and athletes constantly add different routines to their core workouts.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on how motivated you are to continue with SL 5x5:-) Minimal gains are still strength gains! Everyday you go and train you are doing yourself a favor. I can relate to how it feels to be stuck:-/ When I started failing on overhead press, I deloaded and added shoulder accessory work. However, if you are bored with the SL5x5 program, definitely switch it up:-) Congrats on your current progress toward your goal!

I've done exactly this. Been stuck on overhead press for almost 3 weeks...My ego hated it, but needed to be done. lol
    ETA, plus I lift fasted most days...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The five same exercises day in day out isn't an effective way to develop your body. The body is an exceptionally adaptive machine. In only takes a few weeks for adaptation to set in. You need to stimulate your muscles with different exercises. Bodybuilders and athletes constantly add different routines to their core workouts.

This is the exact reason why my lifting journal raised eyebrows whenever anyone looked at it. I was all over the place, and will be again. Want to dealift six days in a week? *kitten* it, I'm gonna. Want to do all of lifts in a single day? *kitten* it, I'm gonna. Want to do 600 pushups in a day, instead of laying on a bench soaked in mansweat? *kitten* it, I'm gonna. So long as it's always heavy and/or intense, I give precisely zero *kitten* about patterns and routines.

There is no real set anything for me. I'll do all kinds of random silly *kitten*. Cookiecutter programs for cookiecutter results and all of that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the strong lifts, and maybe reduce your deficit if you are that worried about gains. Also, you don't have much time in there for recovery if you are running every off lifting day. All that plus a deficit adds up.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just started at a gym and my trainer said it's typical to see consistent strength gains for the first 6 months or so, then it starts to take more time. But I think it would definitely benefit you to try out different lifts/exercises to switch it up and challenge different muscle groups.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I can't help but notice that your squat weight seems low relative to OHP and bench. I might keep training with SL and add barbell bridges and hip thrusts. Getting that glute strength can help with running.