Milk?

Options
Ok, dumb question. If I were to use a cup of milk on my cereal and only drink half of it would I still count the whole cup toward my calorie goal or only half a cup?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Only half. You only count what you consume.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Why pour a whole cup if you're only going to consume half? Just pour a half cup
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd think if you're just drinking milk from the bowl it would be hard to determine you're drinking exactly 1/2 a cup. Why not just use 1/2 a cup on your cereal?
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I guess you could measure what's left in the bowl.
  • alisonkling
    alisonkling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I guess I just always thought of it like gum. You don't really "consume" gum, but you still count it toward your calorie goal
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I guess I just always thought of it like gum. You don't really "consume" gum, but you still count it toward your calorie goal

?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ?
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I guess you could measure what's left in the bowl.
    This. Only log what you consume.
    I find 1/2 cup if milk to be just right with cereal. 1 cup is overkill.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    So i take it you like to add plenty of milk but don't like slurping the excess out of your bowl once all the cereal is gone?
    Only solution is too add less milk or add more cereal. But i don't see the point of logging one cup of milk if you're only consuming half, unless you leave it in your diary as a buffer.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's milk you're using in that cereal, and not vodka? :o

Hurg - plain wrong, vodka and cereals is really not nice - throw in a white Russian instead of plain vodka!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

sorry to bust your gum bubble but a pint of milk is 25 gr of carbs, 15 of protein and anywhere between 0 to 10 gr of fat... might be worth relooking your tracking if want to achieve goals!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    So i take it you like to add plenty of milk but don't like slurping the excess out of your bowl once all the cereal is gone?
    Only solution is too add less milk or add more cereal. But i don't see the point of logging one cup of milk if you're only consuming half, unless you leave it in your diary as a buffer.

Or measure what's left
  • my58vw
    my58vw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever drink what is in the bowl either... so I just measure the difference, then toss it away.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Or measure what's left

Yeah true, and then what, pour it down the sink? What a waste. OP just add 1/2 a cup tomorrow, problem solved.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    The "chocolate milk" that's left in the bowl after I've eaten the last of the cereal is awesome and I make sure to consume every last drop! But I only put 1/2 cup in the bowl in the first place, it's the perfect amount for one portion of the cereal (30g).

If you're adding a whole cup, is your cereal swimming in milk? Do you prefer it that way rather than risking it being a bit too dry? If you really don't want to drink it but don't want to use less at the start, then measuring what's left before throwing it away is probably the best (if wasteful!) answer I think.

Or, as Christine suggested, carry on counting it as a full cup and leave those extra calories as a buffer in case of inaccurate logging. But personally, if I'm logging a full cup of milk I want to drink a full cup of milk! :)
  • alisonkling
    alisonkling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't actually use a full cup of milk in my cereal! I was just using it as an example :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You should log what actually goes in your body.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Milk is for baby cows