Will drinking more water help with damaged/dry hair?

Options
I'm wondering if this is one reason why my hair is so dried out. Besides, coloring it too much, I think my lack of water consumption is making it worse.

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No it won't, hair is already dead so drinking water won't help with what's already there.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No, water won't help dry hair. It's the coloring, not your water intake. Try a coconut oil or moisturizing treatment on your hair instead. The only way your hair will take in moisture is externally.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No that hair is P.much done. Try adding healthy fats to your diet like avocado and nuts and/or a supplement with biotin or prenatal vitamin to grow new healthy hair. My hair was mega damaged from where I used to live we had very hard water. Ruined my hair, clothes and dishes.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes , Agree w/ coconut oil or argan oil Treatment ,And adding healthy fats to diet. Especially if you color, and/ or use hair dryer or straightener.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hair's already dead, so water's not going to change its condition. It will help your skin a ton though!
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nope, but it will help the new hair growth be healthier. Hair is dead, I'd agree with deep oil conditioning to make it look nicer, but ultimately once it's wrecked it's wrecked.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Also I was going to say maybe buy new brushes to help the hair you have now. I just got some brushlab brushes from Ulta using coupons. My hair looks a lot better
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my ideas; some are repeats.
    • You might be lacking in new hair growth. That can happen if you aren't eating enough protein. It takes 3-6 weeks for the results to show either way.
    • Wash your hair less often (every other day), and condition with argan oil on your off days.
    • Cut your hair back to new growth; a cute, short style.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Try 100% organic coconut oil , they sell it at Trader Joes, works really well to moisturize hair, use a spoonful in your palms and run through hair, all over or on the ends when your hair is wet or dry. maybe take a break from heat tools too like flat irons/curling irons
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Olive oil works really well but use it in the evening and wash your hair before going out the following day!

In terms of consumption, it's made of protein so get plenty of that and it will grow fine.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    Hair's already dead, so water's not going to change its condition. It will help your skin a ton though!

This.
    Is your hair just dry or is it actually damaged from dyes/bleaches? If it is damaged, look for a deep treatment that contains keratin (such as nexxus emergencee). If it is just dry, a good treatment is applying coconut/jojoba/argan/camellia oil to very damp hair and use a good moisturizing deep treatment. Washing too much with sulfate-based shampoos can also cause lots of dryness.

For future growth, eat adequate fats, protein and drink lots of water.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You can only externally moisturize existing hair that is dry.

Strong and sleek future hair needs sufficient protein and fats. I learnt very young that restricting fat is bad for hair (and skin) condition.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's my ideas; some are repeats.
    • You might be lacking in new hair growth. That can happen if you aren't eating enough protein. It takes 3-6 weeks for the results to show either way.
    • Wash your hair less often (every other day), and condition with argan oil on your off days.
    • Cut your hair back to new growth; a cute, short style.

I second the protein comment. My daughter was a vegetarian for years, wasn't getting enough protein and had issues with her hair and nails. She added meat to her diet last year and was very pleased with the improvement in her hair and nails.

• swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem because I color my hair as well. I use Trauma Treatment from L'Anza. Now it is a little pricey but you don't use it every day! I use it about 2-3 times a week and you only use about less than a marble size so one bottle lasts quite a long time. My first bottle lasted almost 3 months.

Also, washing your hair everyday can dry it out... I know sounds weird. But the ingredients in most shampoos can be harsh on your hair, so I suggest not washing it everyday. I wash my hair every other day; on the days I don't wash it, I still shower (of course) then I use dry shampoo. It works wonders! My favorite is Batiste because it works well and it's a decent price. They also have different types so for me with dark hair, they have a dark hair ones because basic dry shampoos leave a white residue.

You also have to find what works for your hair as everyone is different.

Trauma Treatment - http://www.ulta.com/healing-color-care-color-preserving-trauma-treatment?productId=xlsImpprod10112008

Batiste Dry Shampoo - http://www.ulta.com/dry-shampoo?productId=xlsImpprod2040049
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you are in it for the long term, in addition to the suggestions above, start taking a fish oil supplement daily. Or you can use flax seed oil (I don't like it so I don't do that one). The fish oil works wonders.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have very dry hair, despite not coloring it. The following is what works for me:
    • sulfate free shampoo and conditioner
    • plenty of protein and good fats in your diet
    • Argan Oil after washing/conditioning
    • heat style sparingly
    • wash sparingly (every other day at most, conditioner only on off days as needed)