TV Dinner Diet?

Options
I am aware that TV Dinners are high in sodium, but what about eating the healthy ones such as SmartOnes and LeanCuisine? I sadly I don't know how to cook easily in the broad sense. (I know people will say oh, it's so easy! Also I throw a lot of leftovers away and money because I am not a leftover person) But - I also have a picky Cuban-American man who only ever wants either pizza or pork/rice. Neither I am big on or are healthy. So in order of us to lose weight together, our current meal plan consists of tv dinners for dinner only. Would this be efficient in weight loss? My breakfast always contains multi-grain cereal with almond milk. And as for lunch I have done good and started making different low-cal wraps for us. Any advice is great! Thank you!

Replies

• LittlestHedgehog
    LittlestHedgehog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    As long as you stay in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, even if you are eating frozen dinners every night. I'll share this - when I was about 16 my parents remodeled the kitchen. For a few weeks, we lived on microwaveable things (a lot of TV dinners). I was concerned that I would gain weight eating that way, but what was funny is at I actually lost a few lbs. Why? Because TV dinners and other pre-portioned meals/snacks tend to be pretty reasonable in calories (do read labels and log tho! Not all are created equal), and obviously I was taking bigger portions (and therefore more calories) of home cooked foods previously. And that's what it boils down to.

That said, I find TV dinners to not be terribly filling. If you find that to be the case, maybe try buying some bagged salad or microwaveable frozen veggies to add some bulk to those (often dinky) frozen meals without adding a lot of calories (or requiring any serious cooking skills).

I believe in that theory. Basically you could eat twinkies all day long as long as you stay under your calorie deficit you will lose weight. I think I will buy perhaps some bagged salad because yes, some of the dinners aren't filling and are so tiny, so unless I eat them SUPER slow I just feel unsatisfied moments later. I just don't want the tv dinners to impact my health so negatively either, but they seem a lot better than breaking down and getting fast food!

Thank you for your reply!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    As long as you stay in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, even if you are eating frozen dinners every night. I'll share this - when I was about 16 my parents remodeled the kitchen. For a few weeks, we lived on microwaveable things (a lot of TV dinners). I was concerned that I would gain weight eating that way, but what was funny is at I actually lost a few lbs. Why? Because TV dinners and other pre-portioned meals/snacks tend to be pretty reasonable in calories (do read labels and log tho! Not all are created equal), and obviously I was taking bigger portions (and therefore more calories) of home cooked foods previously. And that's what it boils down to.

That said, I find TV dinners to not be terribly filling. If you find that to be the case, maybe try buying some bagged salad or microwaveable frozen veggies to add some bulk to those (often dinky) frozen meals without adding a lot of calories (or requiring any serious cooking skills).

I believe in that theory. Basically you could eat twinkies all day long as long as you stay under your calorie deficit you will lose weight. I think I will buy perhaps some bagged salad because yes, some of the dinners aren't filling and are so tiny, so unless I eat them SUPER slow I just feel unsatisfied moments later. I just don't want the tv dinners to impact my health so negatively either, but they seem a lot better than breaking down and getting fast food!

Thank you for your reply!

It sounds like you are making pretty good choices for breakfast and lunch, so I think as long as you opt for lower sodium dinners, and round them out with extra veggies (and make sure most of your snacks are fairly nutrient dense), you should be fine. Most TV dinners, while the food isn't perhaps the best quality, are fairly balanced, include adequate protein, and at least one serving of veggies. But again, read labels and log what you are eating. Good luck!

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will knock them, but there are some fairly good ones that will do the job once in a while. The sodium really isn't that crazy on a lot of them either, depends if you have to watch it. I had no problem having them for lunch and still stayed on track. Super easy. However, due to other dietary reasons I've cut grains and lowered carbs a lot so it's just easier for me to manually prep my meals than worry about their ingredients. (Gluten triggers my rosacea and sugar triggers anxiety and depression for me) This is why I don't feel everyone really can be simply "Calories in/Calories Out".

I will just say that I know people who do well with them, since they're calorie friendly.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I imagine it would be efficient...in the short term. But you'll get super tired of eating those...and pretty soon they will all taste the same. It would be difficult for the average person to eat a tv dinner every night for a month before quitting. Good luck though!
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I imagine it would be efficient...in the short term. But you'll get super tired of eating those...and pretty soon they will all taste the same. It would be difficult for the average person to eat a tv dinner every night for a month before quitting. Good luck though!

You do realize how any different varieties there are? I sure wouldn't want to cook myself all those different things all the time, but I live alone and prefer convenience.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I eat them a couple of times a week when I work late. I find I need to add frozen veggies to bulk them up a little. Since there is always extra sauce in there, once it's cooked I combine it with the (cooked) veggies so they get some flavor too. I eat a fairly low-sodium diet the rest of the week, so that's not really an issue for me. I find some of the Lean Cuisine's have a decent amount of protein, which for me at least makes them a little more filling.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If it's about weight loss, it's probably pretty easy to do it as all the calories are on the container. It's tougher to manage when you have to weigh everything out individually. :)
  • saetum
    saetum Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I did TV dinners for a solid month for my son and I before I quit. About a month is probably the longest anyone could handle it. I HATE cooking. Hate hate hate it. So TV dinners are a good option and you CAN lose off them, so long as you stick to the filling ones. Definitely prefer the Smart Ones over Lean Cuisines for filling-ness. Eventually I decided that I couldn't stick to it (so boring!) so now I do all my cooking in large batches two or three times a month and freeze them for my own frozen dinners. So if/when you get tired of them, you might see if they have a frozen meal cooking class in your area. Most things freeze pretty well and are easy to heat up.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Just try different brands and meals---there's a lot of variety. Ultimately, it's just up to your own preferences.

There are lots of foods besides the TV dinners that also only require a microwave. I enjoy the Green Giant Steamers vegetables that are 'lightly sauced' with the microwave rice packets from Uncle Ben's. (If those items are available where you shop.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You do realize how any different varieties there are? I sure wouldn't want to cook myself all those different things all the time, but I live alone and prefer convenience.

This^

There is a lot of variety out there, and the OP isn't replacing every single meal either. Pair your frozen meals up with a veggie side and you'll be fine.

Eventually you might consider making your own frozen meals. I batch cook on the weekend & set up a few frozen dinners a week. Even Wal-Mart sells frozen dinner containers (Reynolds).

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    When I occasionally eat a Lean Cuisine, I dump it over steamed -- microwaved veggies to bulk it up. There are some great ones out there. Pair it with fruit too. I'm a fan of frozen dinners to learn portion control and keep calories in check. If you need more flavor, opt for siracha or other spices rather than adding more salt.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

There is a lot of variety out there, and the OP isn't replacing every single meal either. Pair your frozen meals up with a veggie side and you'll be fine.

Eventually you might consider making your own frozen meals. I batch cook on the weekend & set up a few frozen dinners a week. Even Wal-Mart sells frozen dinner containers (Reynolds).

How long before "eventually" kicks in? Also, the OP never said anything about pairing them with a veggie side. My comment was about eating just tv dinners for dinner every night. I'd challenge anyone to not get sick of those after a month...despite whatever variety exists.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I rather like the healthy choice steamers. If you eat one of those and a side salad or a piece of fruit it's not that many more calories then a cooked at home dinner. I would 100% make sure to eat supplement fruits and veggies because no TV dinner will keep you full very long.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I think the only issue with pre-packaged meals where it comes with a box and film is that you can't accurately weigh the product to make sure the calories add up with the nutritional label. Unless maybe you weigh it after cooking in a bowl that's been tare'd.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm all for IIFYM, so if a frozen meal fits your macros, why not eat it. It's portion control, and a lot of them are really tasty. I do an Atkins one nearly every night with extra veggies, because my entire family isn't eating the way I am. (Not doing Atkins low carb, they're just the tastiest and most filling ones I've found)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am aware that TV Dinners are high in sodium, but what about eating the healthy ones such as SmartOnes and LeanCuisine? I sadly I don't know how to cook easily in the broad sense. (I know people will say oh, it's so easy! Also I throw a lot of leftovers away and money because I am not a leftover person) But - I also have a picky Cuban-American man who only ever wants either pizza or pork/rice. Neither I am big on or are healthy. So in order of us to lose weight together, our current meal plan consists of tv dinners for dinner only. Would this be efficient in weight loss? My breakfast always contains multi-grain cereal with almond milk. And as for lunch I have done good and started making different low-cal wraps for us. Any advice is great! Thank you!

how is pizza or pork/rice not healthy? I can see not being fond of those things but you can still eat those things if you want to,just not as much.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Pizza and pork and rice is not healthy.

how is pizza or pork/rice not healthy? I can see not being fond of those things but you can still eat those things if you want to,just not as much.

Neither Pizza nor pork and rice is very healthy. That of course depends on how you make it, but regular pizza is crap, it tastes good, but it's crap, don't be fooled because it may have vegetables on it.