I think about food ALL the time.

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The thoughts obviously bother you. But are they positive or negative in their nature? Are you looking forward to eating, or dreading it? Maybe you've just got yourself a new hobby :D It should be quite normal to be occupied with something that is important, and food and eating is important.

Make sure 1200 is right for you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to get busy doing other things so you don't think about food as much....
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I too think about food all the time. Planning what I am going to eat next. I love food, plain and simple. I love shopping for it, preparing it and consuming it. Just the way it is, and I accept it and really don't consider it a problem any longer. Label reading and shopping for and preparing healthier foods has become my new way of obsessing about food.
    I have lost over 1/2 of my current body weight and have kept it off for over 2 1/2 years now. The big difference now is that I have learned moderation and portion control and staying with in my calorie allotment. Before, I would eat what I wanted, pretty much all day long and hence the reason I was morbidly obese. I know now that I will never be mindlessly eating again, if I want to stay a healthy weight, which I plan on doing.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss. 115 pounds is a huge accomplishment. You need to find a hobby to get your mind off food. And if you can, change how you view food. Maybe see a counselor.

^^this.
    you have to retrain your mind some. whatever you're doing so far is working. now you need to work on your mind so that you can hit, and more importantly, keep your goal.

We were a the beach and Dunkin Donuts was right across the street. We'd go over there and they'd get a box of 8 or 9 donuts. I would just sip my coffee. I told myself "I don't have to never eat donuts again, I just need to pass up one this morning." Know what? I never did have a donut. And I don't miss them at all. I don't know whether its good or bad, but I've gotten to the point I don't even want things like that anymore, like, I don't feel deprived because I simply *don't want to consume them*.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss!
    Oddly enough I lost all of my weight before joining MFP. Being here has been excellent because I have learned so much... but at the same time, being here makes me think about food all the time. Tracking and logging my next meal, pre logging my dinner, looking at my numbers, thinking about what I can eat next or what else I can fit in, etc, etc...
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 115 pounds Brenda. If you are thinking about food all the time use that to stay focused on your plan to lose even more. Plan you next meal and how you are going to control your portion sizes. You can do this!
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to find something to distract your mind like a hobby or listen to music.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    First: Congrats on your weight loss! You have done so well, and you should be so proud.

Second: I hear you. I think about food CONSTANTLY. I've lost 130 with another 35 to go, and I think about food all the time. It's very difficult. I'm always thinking about what I'm going to eat next, and what I'll cook. In some ways that's great, because it makes me a good meal planner, and I have healthy low-cal food ready throughout the week. Also, I live in DC, so if I plan to do something like visit a museum or see a show, I will also plan out where I'll eat, and what, and when--even if the event is months away. It's been difficult.

Hobbies help a little, as does meditation. But I get you, I think about food nonstop it seems like. And that scares me, because I'll worry I'll backslide and gain.

So, nothing really useful to share, just--you are not alone!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have lost 140 lbs and I would like to lose about 50 more. I think about food from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I know I am not hungry and I eat enough to not be hungry. If I think about a donut or ice cream, I just think about it and I move on. If I really want something I will have it, which after doing so, the thought is usually better than the actual food. I don't stress about it though
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    you have to replace a pattern with a pattern. Try thinking of something else...I mean...I'm the same way about weights...and a few other things...but I control my thoughts. I don't (always) let my mind wander. You have the same ability too, "think about what you think about!"
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking about food, or *longing* for it? I can see how you had to think about food a lot, to accomplish such an awesome weight loss! There IS a certain amount of "reward" (weigh loss) for thinking about food - and of course, choosing wisely. Now that I'm logging my calorie intake, I think about it a LOT more than the mindless eating I've done in the past. So I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing.....

However, if you're dreaming about falling into a pumpkin pie the size of a swimming pool and having to eat your way out.... ;-) .... well, then you need some distractions....LOL!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Are you thinking about food because you're hungry? Because you are craving specific foods that you aren't allowing yourself to have?

I don't think it's like that. Some of us just really like food, and when we're not eating, we're thinking about the next meal. My MIL was especially like that- all of her conversations seemed to come back to food eventually. I certainly don't know the cure, except to possibly find things in life that are equally absorbing to you.

This is me! I just LOVE food! Nom, nom, nom! I don't see a problem w/ it (thinking about food all the time). But if you do see a problem w/ it, yeah you need to figure out why and correct it... good luck!
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulations on your weight loss! That's awesome :) and I don't think you're alone. I think about food all the time too! Especially more so now that I'm restricting more than before. I've found it helpful to keep myself occupied with other things, like going to a painting class, fitness classes, or even running errands helps. When I'm sitting at home is when I think about food the most, so I try to get out to keep myself busy. Also I set myself an exact time of when I can eat so I have a schedule and can stick to it. For instance if I eat at 1:00 I won't let myself eat again til 3:00. Stuff like that. Hope this helps and keep going! :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I do think some of us just have too much time on our hands. I know when I was working, I rarely thought much about food unless a mealtime was approaching and I was getting hungry. Plus, food wasn't readily available except for the small lunch I would bring, so without options, I didn't think much about it. Now that I'm home with the kids, along with the necessity of having to prepare 3 meals a day, there's lots of time for my mind to wander, a well-stocked fridge, and the freedom to prepare whatever tasty thing that crosses my mind.
    I do like the idea people have mentioned about channeling the obsession into finding & preparing healthy meals we might like. I do collect cookbooks and peruse recipe sites... no calories in that, at least ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Something I have to add though - for some of us, food is a hobby. Always been, always will be... I still look up restaurants first thing if I know I'm going to be away for a day. It's just how it is. I don't think it's necessarily bad - just have to ask yourself how much you want something, and plan ahead to make it fit.

Someone made another thread about it today - I actually use my cravings to plan meals, and it's harder for me when I'm in a rut and not really craving anything, because then I enjoy my food less and I'm more likely to overeat... so thinking about food is a good thing for me really. There's just nothing quite like planning ahead to have something special, making room in your calories for it, and enjoying every bite.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    So do I .... so I collect recipes and store them in folders on my hard drive. I never make any of them ... just drool over them, try to select the healthiest ones, think about making them. Funny thing, after an hour of collecting recipes, I'm not hungry any more.