My scales weighs weird NEED ADVICE

Options
I weighed myself this morning and it said 231, then I did it again and it said 234, then I did it again and it said 230.4. I always weigh three times. But why would a scale give three different weights and then stick with 230.4 over and over again?

Replies

• adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My scale always weights 4 pounds over the first time, then the next 3 are always the same 4 pounds lower. Scales are finicky... I always log my lowest weight on the scale, you cant get a false low weight, but you can get false high weights due to water retention. That's my opinion on the matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    heat, humidity, different place on the floor, your naturally occurring fluctuations, etc...

personally, you sound very scale obsessed...i'd take a step back...weigh in once per week and track the trends. body weight isn't a static thing...the overall trend over time is what matters.
  • ericacarter12
    ericacarter12 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    heat, humidity, different place on the floor, your naturally occurring fluctuations, etc...

personally, you sound very scale obsessed...i'd take a step back...weigh in once per week and track the trends. body weight isn't a static thing...the overall trend over time is what matters.
    So even scale obsess....as long as it is going down or up in some trend that is what matters? Not what it says? The only reason I weigh myself daily is because it just feels good to see the difference. It keeps me going.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing 3 times all within seconds of each other? Under the exact same conditions each time? Is your scale on a hard, flat surface with no slope? Do you move your scale before you weigh? Do you know how to calibrate your scale when you move it? Have you checked the batteries? Do you stand with your feet in the same spot each time or do you tend to "lean" a bit on the scale?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Aria WiFi scale I weigh once in the morning when I wake up. It logs it and I forget about it. I figure it will all average out over time. I also like that the graph takes out all the little variations.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Maybe the battery is going bad. I recommend avoiding the scales and taking pics. More accurate when it comes to truly seeing change.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got a health-o-meter scale from wally world, for about $20. It works well for me. I don't like those advanced ones that measure bmi and all that gobbledygook. Takes away from its main function.

Mine doesn't like to change, contrary to yours. I can weigh myself clothed (with shoes and pockets filled), and then immediately naked, and the measurements will be the same. I usually wear about 3-4 lbs of clothes.

I weigh everyday for the most part, just for kicks and giggles. I like to analyze the numbers. You are not "scale obsessed," that is just someone's judgmental opinion. Some people like to microanalyze things. I am one of them. Some people don't...he is one of them. I also like to food-scale everything when I am tracking. Some would say I am neurotic like that. But I don't adhere to social standards, so I couldn't care less. Just do your thing....they can piss off :-)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When my scala starts doing that, it is time to change the batteries
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Aria WiFi scale I weigh once in the morning when I wake up. It logs it and I forget about it. I figure it will all average out over time. I also like that the graph takes out all the little variations.

I love this feature, and being able to look at a graph on TrendWeight. As a scientist, I want all the data!

I like that this scale also warns you when the battery is low. Before I had it, I would sometimes get screwy readings on my previous scale like OP describes, and it usually went away with fresh batteries.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My older digital scale does that first time every time I get on. Now if I wait a minute, jump up and down and maybe even lean on it a just a hair, its gonna give a different reading...

Now my new bluetooth scale, not a chance. I get on it and it refuses to change weight no matter what, I guess that shocky thing it does to your feet to get a reading knows if you try to cheat!
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have tiles in the bathroom and they're not perfectly even so I try to keep it on one or two tiles instead of across 4 tiles. I can have a fluctuation of a few pounds if I don't.

Also it starts showing me at a way less weight the first few times I weigh myself before the batteries finally die.
  • ericacarter12
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    My older digital scale does that first time every time I get on. Now if I wait a minute, jump up and down and maybe even lean on it a just a hair, its gonna give a different reading...

Now my new bluetooth scale, not a chance. I get on it and it refuses to change weight no matter what, I guess that shocky thing it does to your feet to get a reading knows if you try to cheat!
    I have a device implanted, so I can't use the one that gives you a little jolt to read your actual weight :( . Wish I could get one of those!
  • ericacarter12
    Options
    So most of you recommend a battery change?
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I have a device implanted, so I can't use the one that gives you a little jolt to read your actual weight :( . Wish I could get one of those!

How does a "jolt" measure weight? That is physically impossible. Or is it?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It can also be how you stand on the scale. If it's possible to make the scale go up or down by how you shift your weight and how you stand. But if it is a battery scale, try changing that first.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    So most of you recommend a battery change?

All else fails, change batteries and give that thing a reboot! :)
  • RoxieDawn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »

jdwils14 wrote: »

You do not feel it but here is an excerpt from my manual:

"Body composition analysis is an inexact science. This is true regardless of the manufacturer or method of measurement. Our scale uses BIA (bioelectric impedance analysis). What this means is that a small electrical current passes through your body to measure resistance. This number is combined in our algorithm with other factors, such as gender, age, weight, height and activity level, to estimate body composition. Because of this, the numbers you see on your scale may vary from those you see using other measurement methods. This is completely normal."
  • markdolanmoore
    markdolanmoore Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eye on the prize with consistency over time!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. Scales are evil and will take every opportunity to confuse you lol
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I've learned to pay less attention to the numbers on the scale and more attention to measurements, pictures and how my clothes fit. My weight jumps all over the place but I can visibly and physically see changes happening at a steady rate.