Relationships

Options

Replies

• Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    I did... Before life happened.

Now- I think love really just means that you can tolerate someone- for a long time.

So like an I bet you half my stuff I'll love you forever type deal?
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Ellie Kemper was cute when she was a little chunky.

That's "chunky" to you! Don't answer that.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Don't believe in love at first sight, and on my third marriage (together 13.5 years now) and I definitely think it's worth it :)
    The first two were learning mistakes - they taught me everything I did NOT want in a partner B)
  • MicahPsencik
    MicahPsencik Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Best thing is that you're close to that person like no other, they are who you want to talk to about everything and all the time. A best friend, a soul mate. You create a bond and that is a wonderful feeling, a pureness of familiarity.

No, it's not overrated...when it's real, honest, and committed.

I believe in love and upon first sight...sort of...i believe there is an instant connection one can have with another. That connection may develop into love, but love, true love is something that will in twine its self through your very soul, as such that takes time and communication on every level. Love is a denial of alternative realities, you will see it in another person, regardless of circumstances.
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    People have a hard time distinguishing Lust from Love. The art of really getting to know someone is slowly fading. If I can have a lot in common with someone, while maintaining our own seperate interests, that's a solid start. I want to know what this person is like in their worst of times as well as their best. And I want them to be able to own it. That's rare, man! But there are a special few out there.

So I would say it's lust at first sight. Love comes along way...
  • benmullins4
    Options
    People have a hard time distinguishing Lust from Love. The art of really getting to know someone is slowly fading. If I can have a lot in common with someone, while maintaining our interests, that's a solid start. I want to know what this person is like in their worst of times as well as their best. And I want them to be able to own it. That's rare, man! But there are a special few out there.

So I would say it's lust at first sight. Love comes along way...

Deep...but absolutely nailed it

I can always count on you for an ego boost. Or to tear me the *kitten* down haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Love at first site does exist...but IMO, only when your children are born...and IMO, that's really the only true and unconditional love there is...the love you have for your child or children.

Love at first site between two random individuals doesn't exist...lust definitely...and then of course there's all the warm and fuzzy feelz of being in a new relationship which I think people often mistake for love. Love comes with time...it is real, but it is different than "true love" which I've only experienced with my children. To that extent, I think love exists on different planes...my love for my family is different than my love for my good friends is different than the love for my wife, etc.

And yes...my relationship with my wife is worth it...it is worth the struggles and difficult times without which we wouldn't know the good times...and yes...it can be hard sometimes...but we're in love.
  • benmullins4
    Options
    @Louise1491 I call BS! You do NOT have a heart
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,498 Member
    Options

We got married only because we wanted to legally use the carpool lane on the freeway.

It was as good of a reason as any.....
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think the best part of love is knowing there is always someone in your corner. It takes so much work to emotionally invest in another human and avoid temptations that could damage the relationship. Though, when I've had an eventful day (whether good or bad) nothing compares to being able to share/vent/celebrate with someone who 100% has your back, and genuinely cares about you.

I do not believe in love at first sight, I believe sometimes we can tell that someone has the potential to be something important in our lives, but not that we can "fall in love" right away. When I met my significant other we talked for hours and I remember thinking, this person has all of the traits I didnt even know I was looking for in a partner, I knew they would be important (if I didnt run, I tend to run) but it took a good year before I realized it was a romantic love.
  • nukephysics
    nukephysics Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Crhan05 wrote: »
    My relationship is complicated. Sometimes I do not feel like it's worth it.

Truth. However, like those that say it above love is a journey and it is not easy. Love is tough...It takes two and sometimes getting the help you need. Don't give up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Fatalities at Mt. Rainier National Park

EB 6/11/2008 Muir Snowfiled - Became disoriented in a storm. Made a snow shelter. He became hypothermic and died while shielding his wife from the elements.

FB 3/19/2007 Ipsut Creek - Fell into creek while crossing on log
    RB 3/19/2007 Ipsut Creek - Jumped into Creek to save wife

People sometimes choose to die for their love. Nothing that spellbinding could be overrated, it's more valuable than life itself.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,498 Member
    Options

Q - Why do husbands typically die before our wives?

A - We want to.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Some dusty old book I read long ago said that in the old days, love was more of a verb than a noun. It was something you did...it was more about your actions and choices than it was a feeling. It said that the old timers chose to love, and the feeling of love was the result.
    Anyway, we may as well be talking about particle physics...I don't know much about either subject.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    What's your best thing about being in a relationship?

Do you think it's over rated?
    Do you believe in real love, love at first sight or is it all a load of garbage?

My adult son asked me 3-4 years ago, "Mom, does love ever die?" My mind immediately went to his father, who was killed in a accident when our son was just over two years old. My answer was "No," even though I was, by that time, happily remarried. I still think of my first husband.

Further, and surprising to me, the loss of two public figures, who reminded me very much of him, was very difficult on me -- Keith Green and Steve Irwin. My blue-eyed husband looked a lot like Keith Green, especially with his 1970s permed hair, and Steve Irwin was shaped like him.

I was initially my first husband's nightmare, but I "fell in love" with him one football season, after we'd been married @6.5 years, @2 years before the plane went down. I tried to learn how to be a good wife to him but was a bit late.

So I remained single for 10 years, then married an old widowed friend from my high school days. Did I love him? In my own way then. His love for me was far more pure, more sure. Mine -- I had to work at it. I came very close to leaving him twice: the first time before love had solidified. Matured. The second time, I gave him a strong, necessary ultimatum, and he complied. It took me over a year to trust him again, and in time, he has proven to be wonderful. I could not ask for a better marriage now.

We went through some difficult tomes.

We are all still human. We all make mistakes: some very serious and some not so much. Maturity will show us if we are willing to stick to our words ("I do.") long enough to reap the benefits of a long marriage.

I know the question is about love, not marriage, but most of us still end up making that marriage commitment. If not marriage, we expect and hope for a long-term relationship. Neither are a panacea. When we go into either without strong commitment to that other person, we are playing games with another's life. How dare we play games with someone else's life! People are worthy of our continued care and support, through the proverbial "thick and thin."

If you marry, make it for life. If you move in with someone, don't play games with them, leading them on, then dropping them. Life is designed to grow us. Growth does not happen so much in the good, peaceful times as through the difficulties. If you don't have the guts to do the hard times and stay, keep it platonic.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I really appreciate your words, Raina.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that the scene from Fiddler on the Roof. Where Teva asks his wife if she love him is what marital love is all about. It is choosing to walk beside someone through life's ups and downs, being there for each other.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Love is a lot of work. I knew the moment I met my husband I wanted to be with him but we've still had our ups and downs over the years (22 years together, 10 years married). The trouble is that we are led to believe that "true love" is effortless by movies, TV and in stories when it rarely, if ever, is. You have to learn things like how to pick your battles, how to compromise, how another person's happiness can be enough to make you happy. You have to trust and respect and make yourself vulnerable hoping for trust and respect in return. It's not always easy but it's unparalleled in its rewards.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I believe that yes, for some people love can last forever. I admit I'm jealous of those old couples who still love each other so much and find their spouse so beautiful no matter what... when after 14 years I just feel like I have a roommate. Being able to tolerate each other is so much more different than being in love IMO...

But love at first sight? Yes, I completely believe it, because I've experienced it. Twice. Unfortunately, it's rare that it happens both ways, so I can't comment on whether it would have lasted or not.