i like food alot

Options
Does going vegetarian help you lose weight? My mom texted me if i wanted fast food i havevthe calories to spare but maybe going vegetarian is a good idea :I

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No not necessarily... if we eat more than we burn we gain weight so it doesn't matter what we eat, if we eat too much we will gain.
    What is good about veggies that they are low calorie yet filling and have loads of nutritional value.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You say you like food. You seem to want fast food. You say you have enough calories. Why wouldn't you spend those extra calories on something you want? Denying yourself what you want and have access to is deprivation and totally unnecessary suffering. Anything can be eaten in the appropriate amounts. Going from one extreme to another extreme is almost never a good idea. Wonder where you got that idea.

Go vegetarian if you want to go vegetarian, but not to lose weight (it doesn't work that way) or for health (it takes the same effort to eat healthily on a vegetarian diet as on an omnivorous diet).
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for a month (ovo lacto veggie). But a year before that I dropped red meat and pork. Don't even miss 'em.
    I've also dropped a few pounds the past month, but I've also been doing MFP. I've recently added in whey powder because keeping up my protein intake was important.
    Me, I just "feel" better being veggie. I really don't know who's watching whats going into the meat supply in this country. But that's my opinion and hardly scientific. Vegetable products have their own issues too.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It's about the amount of calories you're eating, not the type of food. Going vegetarian will allow you to eat more of some kinds of food and consume less calories. Obviously you can eat more vegetables than meat. But going Vegetarian or Vegan doesn't mean you'll lose weight. I know plenty of Vegans who have gained weight... But hey, give it a try, you might like it. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you can eat as much as you want because you don't eat meat and don't start getting into all of the Vegan "replacement" items either.. most of those are overly processed.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine my life without fast food ever again! I do think I would loose weight going vegetarian because I would not like it very much!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Nothing special about vegetarian. A lot of high calorie density foods are vegetarian.

Eating more high fiber low calorie density vegetables can be helpful for satiety. So veggies can help you maintain your deficit and/or make space for treats without starving the rest of the day.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There is so much high calorie vegetarian and vegan "junk food" available, going veggie doesnt automatically mean fewer calories. Eat the food you like within your calorie allowance and there's no problem. I don't eat fast food very often because I like food, I want more food for my calories than fast food can give me!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I tip my hat to vegetarians on a diet. I find the whole process FAR easier if I get at least 20% protein. Eating meat helps with that goal. I don't eat meat every day, and when I do it's more likely to be chicken or fish than beef or pork, but on days I don't eat meat I pretty much rely on a protein bar or shake to get enough in. And if I've over eaten carbs earlier in the day it's tough to rebalance without meat because the shakes and bars come with more carbs.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I would say that it would be hard for me to eat enough vegetables to get my maintenance calories so I would lose weight as a side effect. But, you could just eat a *kitten* ton of cheetos or something
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of a lot of the food that you like to eat could help you lose weight but it's not a necessary step.