The Benefits of Vinegar

Options
I used to have pretty bad sinus issues. I'd get an infection once or twice a year. I tried changing my diet and other methods such as honey, neti pot and other things. The only thing that seemed to help was adding more vinegar into my diet. Over the last three years, I've made a conscious effort to eat one or two salads a week with apple and balsamic vinegar as the dressing. I'm not super strict to that. I'll eat regular balsamic dressing or some other kind of vinegar dressing. The point is I've only had one sinus infection since. I've also noticed a lot less sinus issues in general. Whenever I start to have congestions it's usually a sign I haven't eaten vinegar in a while. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Do you believe in the benefits of vinegar?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Possibly anything to do with the fact that vinegar is high in VitC? I haven't seen much else in the lines of peer reviewed benefits, but am always open to seeing more.
  • MarianT50
    MarianT50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've not hear of the health benefits of normal vinegar, but there are a lot of benefits of consuming raw apple cider vinegar (with the "mother" still in) - it's antifungal and antibacterial. It's cleared up acne and sinus problems for me and settled stomach issues I had too! I was taking a shot every morning in a small glass of water and also using topically as an acne treatment :)

Got my raw ACV in my local Asian Supermarket for way cheaper than a healthfood store or supermarket!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Vinegar's acidity does a great job of cutting phlegm in the throat-- I prefer it over lemon juice as a singer's throat tonic. But I can't say it does much for me in the ear and nose department.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »

I love it and think it tastes great on a salad, in gazpacho, and otherwise on some veg.

Maybe eating more salad and the various things you put in it helped? But who knows, too many possible factors, including just chance. I've never found that vinegar makes a difference to my health, but I've never had a sinus infection anyway (and do love vinegar). I wouldn't call that evidence, but eh.
  • queensamearh
    queensamearh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    I used to have pretty bad sinus issues. I'd get an infection once or twice a year. I tried changing my diet and other methods such as honey, neti pot and other things. The only thing that seemed to help was adding more vinegar into my diet. Over the last three years, I've made a conscious effort to eat one or two salads a week with apple and balsamic vinegar as the dressing. I'm not super strict to that. I'll eat regular balsamic dressing or some other kind of vinegar dressing. The point is I've only had one sinus infection since. I've also noticed a lot less sinus issues in general. Whenever I start to have congestions it's usually a sign I haven't eaten vinegar in a while. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

• queensamearh
    queensamearh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar too. I put vinegar with the mother - special kind in my water in the morning to help me to lose some weight. It's been helping.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I believe in vinegar. I don't know why though, lol! I use it everyday, I get the apple cider vinegar, the organic one from Trader Joes, it's inexpensive and great in my salads and stir frys.
    Cool that it helps w your sinuses!