Wine

So this might sound shabby but I am a working mama of 3 boys and a spouse. Over the years I normally have a glass of wine in the evening. Since I started being serious about my weight I knocked it out. My mental status misses it. I work for a doctor and she swears by a glass of red wine a night and a mini dark chocolate hersey bar. says red wine is actually benifit to healthy living. So I like others input healthy or not. Why?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I find a glass (or 2) of wine in the evening to be a wonderful stress reliever, and less stress most definitely = healthy.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    As said already if you can fit in your calorie goals then go for it. There are reported health benefits to some of the compounds in both red wine and dark chocolate. However, many have only been properly tested as individual compounds in rats/mice, so whether those benefits hold true in humans when those compounds are all mixed up in a glass of wine is not really known for sure.

In other words, have those things because you like them rather than trying to justify it for some health reason!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    A glass of wine is 150-200 cals per serving. Not that hard to maneuver into a deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    dkabambe wrote: »
    As said already if you can fit in your calorie goals then go for it. There are reported health benefits to some of the compounds in both red wine and dark chocolate. However, many have only been properly tested as individual compounds in rats/mice, so whether those benefits hold true in humans when those compounds are all mixed up in a glass of wine is not really known for sure.

In other words, have those things because you like them rather than trying to justify it for some health reason!

Epidemiology does backup the health claims. Plus several strains of beneficial probiotic bacteria have been identified in wine.

That certainly doesn't mean it's healthy for everyone (no food is).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    A serving is 5 ounces of wine. 5 ounces is a very small amount. To gain the health benefits from alcohol, stick with one serving.

Problem is, most peoples' serving size is 10 ounces or more - that's just a small wine glass.

Slippery slope. For a woman, the recommended amount of alcohol is to not exceed one drink per day, or seven drinks per week. Above that and you flirt with the downside of alcohol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    A serving is 5 ounces of wine. 5 ounces is a very small amount. To gain the health benefits from alcohol, stick with one serving.

Problem is, most peoples' serving size is 10 ounces or more - that's just a small wine glass.

Slippery slope. For a woman, the recommended amount of alcohol is to not exceed one drink per day, or seven drinks per week. Above that and you flirt with the downside of alcohol.

The recommendation for women is not more 3 drinks per day and 7 total per week.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member

I have a glass I got from a wine festival with a logo on it. I know exactly where the five ounce point is because it is right at the bottom of the K in the logo. My 5-ounce poor is very accurate as a result.

If they fit into your calories, you will lose. More than a couple glasses, and alcohol can elevate food cravings. But one glass should be fine.
  • Alluminati
    RobD520 wrote: »

I have a glass I got from a wine festival with a logo on it. I know exactly where the five ounce point is because it is right at the bottom of the K in the logo. My 5-ounce poor is very accurate as a result.

If they fit into your calories, you will lose. More than a couple glasses, and alcohol can elevate food cravings. But one glass should be fine.

maybe for you.....
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I believe recent studies have shown that the health effects of red wine have been overstated. However, as a lover of red wine regardless, I certainly doubt it's bad for you in any way to have a glass a day. Just make sure you have calories for it. Personally I prefer usually to eat my calories (I'm on under 1300 a day) so now my red wine days are few and far between. When I'm at maintenance I plan to have it more often.
  • Need2Exerc1se

It can elevate food cravings but that is not the same as will elevate food cravings.

Also, for me at least wine taste better with things like wholesome foods rather than the deep fried stuff that beer goes well with. This is the reason I drink wine much more often then beer, which I also love. Wine is more figure friendly for me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    IMO red wine is one of those correlation not causation things, as is dark chocolate. If it's anti-oxidants you're looking for, coffee and blueberries will do the same thing without the toxic effects of alcohol on the liver.

However, why not have half a glass of red wine instead of a full one? And a square or two of chocolate? If your weight loss calories are reasonable, you should be able to fit them in no problem. It does mean your goals must be already above both BMR and 1200 calories.
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    I drink wine almost every night. I measure it out and I put those calories in first thing in the morning. It's a staple. I'm home with two young kids and I look forward to it at the end of the day. I've still been able to lose weight .
  • Alluminati

It can elevate food cravings but that is not the same as will elevate food cravings.

Also, for me at least wine taste better with things like wholesome foods rather than the deep fried stuff that beer goes well with. This is the reason I drink wine much more often then beer, which I also love. Wine is more figure friendly for me.

I intentionally used the word "can" and not "will".

People here are unnecessarily combative.
    Hardly. People are unnecessarily sensitive, though.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member

The recommendation for women is not more 3 drinks per day and 7 total per week.

UK recommendation is 2 units per day.

Bugger that, like.