Need help...i dont know how to diet

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this community and could really use some help. I've never been on a diet or fitness regimen before and I think it's time.

I stepped on the scale today and it tipped at 242lbs. And I cried. Then went through my closet and began throwing things away, like my size 5 jeans that I'll likely never be able to wear again.

Now that I've gotten my head pulled free from my *kitten* and am thinking clearly, I have started doing some research into what I can do to make some changes.

And I've come to realize I need help. I don't know how to diet. I don't understand portion control. I would have NO CLUE what home workout would be good for me, or what to even do at the gym.

Can someone help me please? I hate feeling like a bloated sack of flesh, and I want to make some changes. I just don't know where or how to start.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    First make sure you have a reasonable goal. 1 pound a week is easily doable. More than that might be too restrictive and could set you up for failure. Do you have a food scale? If not get one and weigh all of your food and log it correctly. Lastly have patience. You didn't gain it over night so it is a process but if you stick to your goals it can be done! Feel free to add for support!
  • rebeccasa1nt
    rebeccasa1nt Posts: 5 Member
    I don't own a foodscale, no. Will be worth picking one up next pay day.

I feel like I need a dietition :/ I don't even know what foods I should be eating :/
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    First thing that will help you on the long run is a food scale. Many of us swear by them around here because of inaccuracies measuring cups have.

Secondly, this does not need to be a "diet." You want to focus on making changes you can keep the rest of your life. Most people are successful because they practice moderation. They continue to eat what they always have, but less of it. Weight loss boils down to calories in vs calories out, or CICO which you may see it referred to.

Enter your details into MFP and let it decide what your calorie goal should be. MFP also is designed to eat back any exercise calories you may do. Many of us only eat 50-75% of those calories back because the burns are often inflated.

I know there's plenty more, but this is a good of start. Good luck.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    You can eat anything you want so long as it fits into your calorie goal. You'll learn fairly quickly though, that eating "treats" or calorie dense foods leaves you unsatisfied and hungry while veggies, lean protein (think chicken, fish, shrimp etc), and healthy fats (nuts, avocado, etc) etc will allow you to eat a lot more and feell satisfied a lot longer.

Don't completely give up your treats though, they are important in keeping you from throwing in the towel, just make room for them in your log.
  • ogtmama
    Get lots of sleep! This whole process is ten times easier when you are rested. Lack of sleep will drive you to crave overly calorie dense food while also keeping you from exercising. Sleep has got to be the most enjoyable part of it ;)
  • rebeccasa1nt
    I know I need to eat more in order to kick start my metabolism, and make healthier choices in what is being eaten by me and my family...we are all gluttons :/
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    You want the simplest possible way to lose weight and not have to think about it? Do this to get started and once it becomes routine you can maybe start looking at the details...but this alone will do it.

Take what you eat now, whatever it is, and when you plate it out...put some of it back...like 1/4th of it. Then, once a day, go for a walk.

Thats it.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I first had to realize it's NOT a diet. It's my lifestyle now. Until I did that, I couldn't keep my head in it.

And that new lifestyle included moving my body more and eating smarter.
  • ogtmama
    I know I need to eat more in order to kick start my metabolism, and make healthier choices in what is being eaten by me and my family...we are all gluttons :/

Aren't we all? ;) I find it easier to have a very small breakfast and lunch as well as taking a long walk so that I can eat what feels like a "normal" dinner.

Timing of food has nothing to do with anything. If you hate breakfast and snack at night, it is entirely ok to skip eating in the morning and eat a snack before bed...I know that one is hard to believe but I swear it's true.

Your metabolism is always working, no need to kick start it or force yourself to eat so it'll work better.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    What you don't want to do is put in some unreasonable calorie goal like 1200 and just murder your self-esteem and energy levels by trying in vain to stick to that long term. Just eat slightly less, exercise slightly more and let time pass. Don't need to over-complicate it, you can look more into the details if and when you are ready to do so.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    First, you can't "kickstart" your metabolism. It is what it is, and it's likely quite normal. However, you may want to have a test on your blood sugars and thyroid, just to rule out any physiological reasons for weight gain. However, since you are saying you have no idea how to eat or portion, I suspect they're probably fine and all you have to do is lower your calorie intake to lose weight.

So, you can try to make healthier versions of the things you eat now. Pizza? Sure, make on yourself, using whole wheat pita bread, pasta sauce, and some good toppings like sweet peppers, baked chicken, mushrooms, etc. Pasta? Make whole wheat pasta instead of white - while they're nutritionally almost identical, you can eat a little less and feel more full, longer, with whole grains. Try ground turkey or chicken in place of beef (it's leaner and way less calories). Get the kitchen scale with a tare feature and weigh out portions so you know how much you're eating. I have been doing this for almost a year and I still find that I will tend to take bigger portions without the scale. I have a hard time "eyeballing" correct portions.

Don't make it too complicated. Simply try to change one or two things at a time. Start slow and build on it. This should definitely be a lifestyle change, and not a DIET. You are really needing to retrain your brain. You're going to have ups and downs. You're going to need to work on patience, and will power, and having a positive attitude even when your scale wants to slap you down. But you CAN do this.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    If I were you and feeling crazy overwhelmed, I would spend the rest of this week simply logging what you do eat. Measure as best you can until you can get a food scale. You'll be close enough for now. Don't worry about meeting any goals, calories, fat, protein any of it. Just log.

During the rest of this week, start browsing sites like skinnytaste for some recipe ideas (this is hugely motivating to me...being excited to try new recipes). Make a shopping list. Add some fresh fruits and vegetables that you like. Add some single serve sweet treats (I love Yasso bars for dessert!) Or other snacky things you enjoy. Single serve helps me keep in check easier. Then start working towards hitting the calorie goal MFP sets for you. Measure all the things, weighing if possible. Try to get more fruits and vegetables than you were (they are filling to most people) and try to cut back on drinks with calories. Pop and sweet tea are my nemesis. I switched to Stevia sweetened tea and kicked pop to the curb. I don't get enough full and happy from the calories pop costs. I can't handle diet pop so, it has become an unwelcome addition to my way of eating.

For the next week or two, simply focus on making choices that both fit your calorie budget and keep hangry away. You don't need to go from fried chicken and loaded mashed potatoes to a plate of ice and croutons. Just make a few better choices each day. And pretty soon you'll be making 80% better choices while feeling zero guilt for the 20% that aren't better. And weight will start falling off. If you're up to it, take a couple walks a week. Just walk...even half a mile of that's what you can handle. Build up from there. Download Pokemon GO! That's a fun motivator to move your buns!

Don't over complicate it. Eat less, move more really works. On 5/29 I was 248lbs. I did exactly what I outlined above and I'm down 23lbs as of today. With zero deprived feels even! You got this.
  • rebeccasa1nt
    There are some seriously helpful tips here :) thank you so much! This seemed so overwhelming at first.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    There are some seriously helpful tips here :) thank you so much! This seemed so overwhelming at first.

You got this. Just take one day at a time, and try to only make small changes every week or so instead of everything at once. It's a good way to burn out quickly or get overwhelmed. Each day is just one step in your journey.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    To add onto what everyone said here, one of the most important things to do is drink more water. I'm not sure how much, if any, soda or sugary drinks you consume, but you'll learn very fast that you'd rather eat your calories than drink it.
  • rebeccasa1nt
    vespiquenn wrote: »

You got this. Just take one day at a time, and try to only make small changes every week or so instead of everything at once. It's a good way to burn out quickly or get overwhelmed. Each day is just one step in your journey.

Thank you so much. I think my first steps will be to make sure I get a good walk in every day and logging what I'm eating - maybe if I see what's being eaten, I'll be apt to make healthier choices/eat less!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited August 2016
    One thing I will add that helped me - I pre-log my meals the night before, and then use the scale to measure out the portions I already chose. It makes it much simpler to stick to, and it means I start every day knowing how I will succeed that day.

As to what you eat, it matters much less than you might think. Nutrition is important, but if you eat a wide variety of foods, even on a standard American diet, you have a low risk for deficiency unless you have some kind of other medical condition. Beyond that, what you eat is really more about your health needs, not a one-size-fits-all approach.

Anyhow, 99% of what you hear about dieting is either outright wrong, or simply doesn't matter as long as you control your calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    You don't know how to diet? I don't either. I do as @rankinsect does, only in the morning rather than the night before. I usually just copy from a previous date and make such adjustments as I need for vegetable and meat supplies. I wanted to get plenty of fiber, so I chose a variety of foods to give me fiber. I wanted to get plenty of potassium, so I chose a variety of foods to get potassium. I wanted volume and nutrition with low calories, so I get a lot of vegetables. I didn't start this journey with this food plan. It developed as I learned stuff and still is developing. I stir fry-stuff for a breakfast burrito, and I stir-fry stuff for dinner. It's all very same-old same-old for me and that's ok with me.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    I skimmed through the comments, and some touched on it but it's worth reiterating... Whatever you think you know about dieting through the grapevine is more than likely a myth. Starvation mode, eat more to lose weight, kick start metabolism, no carbs or sugar, low fat, super low calorie, there are too many to list.

What you need to know to make this as effortless and successful as possible is calories in calories out.

Find your TDEE and chose your preferred weight loss per week here on MFP, don't be overly ambitious, and eat that calorie limit. There is no off limit or "bad" food. Eat what you want in that calorie range. And remember, the healthiest versions are usually the most filling so food for thought.

Weight loss is never linear so you're looking at the trend in weight loss. Some only weigh each week or month. And some lose inches and not pounds, then pounds and not inches. So the key is be consistent, weigh your food and log accurately, and stay in your calorie range. And activity is a bonus to losing weight, and highly recommended for best results, but not necessary to lose weight.

Good luck!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

Once you realize that calories are king for weight loss and there is no need to eliminate your favorite foods, it's MUCH easier. :) If someone had told me 10 years ago that I could lose weight and include chocolate in my 'diet', I would have looked at them as if they sprouted a second head.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Everyone else here has very good advice! I have chosen to visit a dietitian, and I'm very happy with my decision to do that, but it isn't always cheap. I'm fighting with my insurance now to cover the visits (it's supposed to cover 7 visits a year because I'm obese, but they're denying it due to coding issues), but if they refuse, it's $50-60 a visit. I'm willing to pay if I have to, I see it as an investment in my health, but that's not exactly in everyone's price range. So let me offer you the best advice she gave me: take it slow, make a couple progressive changes at a time, and don't try to tackle everything at once.

When I started, I had a ridiculous soda addiction, and trying to eliminate it entirely always backfires on me. So instead, we made a goal that I can have ONE can of soda a day if I really want it. Knowing I had that option, I've gone from drinking 64-90oz of soda every day, to 7-12 oz once or twice a week.

Other ideas she gave me, try to incorporate a serving of fruit or vegetables with 1-2 meals a day to start. Try to make sure you have some protein with each meal if you can, because it keeps you feeling satisfied longer. Try to plan some exercise you enjoy and a small time requirement to start, such as planning at LEAST a 10-15 minute walk 5-7 days a week, and hold yourself to that. Increase the time and distance as you feel ready, just don't overdo it. Drink lots of water, keep a water bottle with you. The overall goal here is to make slow sustainable life changes, not to overwhelm yourself with a million changes and then burn out after a short period of time. Good luck! You can do it! :)
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Another tip. Set yourself up to succeed. Meal prep some in advance. It's so easy to hit a drive thru (and even that can work into some days!) when you're facing a hungry you and/or family with a mountain of prep. Precooked shredded chicken or pork loin, pre-prepped veggies in the fridge, even some homemade TV dinners or quick breakfast egg muffins in the freezer. Those all help combat the lazy in me.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member

Thank you so much. I think my first steps will be to make sure I get a good walk in every day and logging what I'm eating - maybe if I see what's being eaten, I'll be apt to make healthier choices/eat less!

I think this is a great way to start. Walking is very good exercise, especially when you are getting started and feeling overwhelmed.
    And logging gives you real insights.... even if you don't set out to change things in a big way, I find that just by tracking what I'm eating (or, even better, planning and logging ahead of time) I can see exactly where the extra calories are coming from. One extra beer, those few cookies for a snack, more cheese and crackers than I needed... just cutting out a couple of things like that each day can save hundreds of calories which is a fabulous way to get started.
    Once you've got a few weeks of logging then you can start looking at which days made you feel good, and which foods fitted better into your calorie goals and start making choices which will work well for you.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I'll chime in! If you have a day or two where you go over calories, skip logging due to a holiday, etc, don't considering it cheating or "I've blown it" just pick up where you left off. Don't try to"undo" it and don't engage in all-or-nothing thinking. Enjoy the process and your success and before you know it, it will be routine and you'll reach your goals!
  • Aaron_K123

Sounds like a great plan to me. Don't approach this as some grueling trial you must force yourself through. Think of it as an act of discovery, learning about your body....really looking at what you are eating and what affect that has and experimenting a little. Just make some small changes to your routine. Starting to track your intake and daily walks is an excellent start.
  • Aaron_K123
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I'll chime in! If you have a day or two where you go over calories, skip logging due to a holiday, etc, don't considering it cheating or "I've blown it" just pick up where you left off. Don't try to"undo" it and don't engage in all-or-nothing thinking. Enjoy the process and your success and before you know it, it will be routine and you'll reach your goals!

This is great advice. I think too many people set up some overwhelming challenge for themselves and when they "mess up" on a given day they try to make it up the next day and just make it even harder for themselves. Becomes this vicious cycle. If you do "mess up" from your plan on a given day just note that you did and move on.
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Lots of great advice here. I'd like to chime in with something that helped me: Portions have always been my problem. Before coming to MFP I thought I ate well because I generally chose foods that I thought were healthy, the problem is I was just eating way too much of them! A couple of months ago I purchased some "lunch sized" plates to replace the "dinner sized" ones that I've always used. I eat my dinner off of one of those lunch plates and I try to fill half of the plate with fruits and vegetables. I find that I am eating much less and am still very satisfied.

Anyways it really does just come down to calories in vs. calories out. I wish I had learned that much sooner than I did but since I started tracking on February 20th I am down 47 lbs! You can do it too! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    A food scale is about $10-$20 and a worthwhile investment

Until you get one just log all your food as accurately as you can, that will mean cross referencing against packs and other food databases and never trusting the MFP database without double checking

You will probably have no idea of appropriate portion sizes, which is why some of the advice upthread

You can google visual images eg a 100g piece of protein would fit in the palm of your hand, 30g hard cheese is about the size of 4 dice

Seriously just focus on calories and logging accurately and getting into good habits like batch cooking, healthy recipes (www.skinnytaste.com is a good starter resource)

And go for that walk...make today's longer than yesterday's by a block or by 5-10 mins