Any PCOS, hypothyroid peeps?

What have you been doing to be successful? What are some changes you are seeing with symptoms?

:)

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hypothyroid here, I've just been calorie counting using mfp combined with a whole lot of patience 69lbs down as of this morning. (Very little exercise as I seem to lack the motivation to get off my butt, no other reason).

Symptom wise I have more energy, my skin is better and I feel as normal as I suppose a euthyroid person would feel (hard to compare when you can't remember what normal was like). But and this is the big one my meds were already at a level where my symptoms were minimal and my TSH very low, t4 high in range before I started my weightloss journey. If the hormones aren't right then it gets very hard to lose weight (for me personally anyway).
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    That's me!

I changed my diet to 1,250 calories plus anything I earn through exercise - and I'd try to get 10,000 steps a day or spend 30 minutes on my exercise bike.

I also found that a diet which stuck closely to MFP's suggestions (50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein with plenty of fibre) was useful. Finally try not to eat carbs on their own - it spikes my insulin level and makes me hungry!!

I was only diagnosed with PCOS 1/2 way through my journey (but I've been taking thyroid meds most of my life), so I lost lots of weight this way. Now I'm also on metformin extended release to help with the insulin resistance that PCOS gives me - and that has made my losses so much easier to achieve. To put it simply, I can eat more!
  • manicmuse1
    manicmuse1 Posts: 17 Member
    Borderline hypothyroid for years, they are retesting right now and suspecting hashimoto thyroiditis. Which would make sense. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 11.

My weight has always been, well heavy. However, after having a miracle baby it just went out of control. I gained about 15 pounds during the pregnancy. However, postpartum mixed with my daughter's fight to survive after a freak heart attack at birth, my weight just kept going up. I peaked at 326.

Unfortunately, my body has burnt its bridges with medications for assistance. Luckily, by brother and dad finally came to me about their own struggles with maintaining their weight when I was in my darkest hour. They are both career army so I had no idea they even struggled with it because they both run 10 miles every morning as a warm up. B

However, after they told me how they cannot eat grains, dairy and things, it sent me down the path. Now I am following keto paleo. Granted I have a few things I still eat that don't follow paleo 100% but its working! I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. Granted, I am sure I could lose more if I was a little stricter. However, I am done with yo-yoing. I want something I can keep up with long term.

Right now my focus is gaining muscle mass.

I work out about 5-6 times a week. Starting with weight lifting, then about 15 minutes cardio. This much exercise is a rather new set up for me. I was doing only 3-4 times a week and 45 min sessions of cardio with minimal weight lifting before. Hopefully the switch up will create greater gains.

I am currently 285 pounds.
    I get less headaches.
    I can walk 2-3 miles with ease.
    I can run a mile if I really want to.
    My body (facial, chest, stomach) hair is thinning and reducing.
    The hair on top my head is falling out less.
    I have a ton more energy because of my diet, so I can work out this much, run my own business and chase around my two year old.
    Blood work wise, no idea. I have not seen a proper doctor for several years. I finally went to see one a couple weeks ago. I go in on August 11th for results.
  • mabrams27
    mabrams27 Posts: 2 Member
    I have hypothyroidism as well as PCOS and have found the only thing that works is a Paleo diet combined with moderate walking. Due to the PCOS I was also suffering from insulin resistance which required diabetes medication to control(metformin). Paleo certainly requires a commitment it's not a quick fix its a lifestyle change. After starting Paleo I felt so different, lots of energy and all around just wonderful. About a month in I had to have my thyroid retested to adjust my medication(for the better!). In one month on strict Paleo I lost about 8 lbs but it wasn't just the weightloss it was how I felt that made me continue. With a thyroid issue, PCOS combined with insulin resistance it make weightloss difficult but Paleo has been amazing at helping me reach my goals. I am continuing my Paleo journey so that I can improve my overall health but also to balance my hormones to fight off PCOS all together, which is possible!
  • ManateToMermaid
    ManateToMermaid Posts: 27 Member
    I have PCOS and hypothyroid, I gained a tonne of weight after going through 5 fresh cycles of IVF and 4 frozen, followed by my pregnancy with my son, I have lost 31lbs so far and I find (always have found) if I cut or limit my carbs to the extreme minimum and avoid dairy the weight pretty much falls off, I struggle howeve because I love carbs and dairy!
  • MarieTrees23
    MarieTrees23 Posts: 35 Member
    That's me!

I changed my diet to 1,250 calories plus anything I earn through exercise - and I'd try to get 10,000 steps a day or spend 30 minutes on my exercise bike.

I also found that a diet which stuck closely to MFP's suggestions (50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein with plenty of fibre) was useful. Finally try not to eat carbs on their own - it spikes my insulin level and makes me hungry!!

I was only diagnosed with PCOS 1/2 way through my journey (but I've been taking thyroid meds most of my life), so I lost lots of weight this way. Now I'm also on metformin extended release to help with the insulin resistance that PCOS gives me - and that has made my losses so much easier to achieve. To put it simply, I can eat more!

I'm insulin resistant also! I used to be on met years ago but my primary doctor had taken me off it it. I'm hoping the endo will look over everything this upcoming month and see about getting back on it. What kind of changes did you see between being on metformin vs being off?

What would you eat carbs with to fight against the insulin spike? I'm finding it hard to get this all together and eat mess that are balanced. I'm trying to stay away from gluten in general and eat clean, "whole" foods. I've just started but I don't want to lose hope due to how hard it is with this other crap slowing everything down.
  • MarieTrees23
    manicmuse1 wrote: »
    Borderline hypothyroid for years, they are retesting right now and suspecting hashimoto thyroiditis. Which would make sense. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 11.

My weight has always been, well heavy. However, after having a miracle baby it just went out of control. I gained about 15 pounds during the pregnancy. However, postpartum mixed with my daughter's fight to survive after a freak heart attack at birth, my weight just kept going up. I peaked at 326.

Unfortunately, my body has burnt its bridges with medications for assistance. Luckily, by brother and dad finally came to me about their own struggles with maintaining their weight when I was in my darkest hour. They are both career army so I had no idea they even struggled with it because they both run 10 miles every morning as a warm up. B

However, after they told me how they cannot eat grains, dairy and things, it sent me down the path. Now I am following keto paleo. Granted I have a few things I still eat that don't follow paleo 100% but its working! I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. Granted, I am sure I could lose more if I was a little stricter. However, I am done with yo-yoing. I want something I can keep up with long term.

Right now my focus is gaining muscle mass.

I work out about 5-6 times a week. Starting with weight lifting, then about 15 minutes cardio. This much exercise is a rather new set up for me. I was doing only 3-4 times a week and 45 min sessions of cardio with minimal weight lifting before. Hopefully the switch up will create greater gains.

I am currently 285 pounds.
    I get less headaches.
    I can walk 2-3 miles with ease.
    I can run a mile if I really want to.
    My body (facial, chest, stomach) hair is thinning and reducing.
    The hair on top my head is falling out less.
    I have a ton more energy because of my diet, so I can work out this much, run my own business and chase around my two year old.
    Blood work wise, no idea. I have not seen a proper doctor for several years. I finally went to see one a couple weeks ago. I go in on August 11th for results.

This is awesome to hear. Seriously, you are an inspiration. I'm 24 and noticed hair thinning at 23 along with all of PCOS symptoms prior to that (diagnosed at 12). I've been terrified of losing all of my hair since I've noticed and I'm hoping that losing this weight and getting into shape will help with regrowth.

Hashimotos and pcos seem to go hand in hand. I've seen a lot of women later discover that they had this with pcos all along.

Thank you so much for sharing your success!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I have hashimoto. I'm also allergic to wheat. I'm gluten free and wheat free, no they aren't the same. I also don't touch soy. I feel best when I eat paleo and naturally lose weight on that plan I just struggle to stick to it because I love cheese.
  • EternalSnow627
    EternalSnow627 Posts: 33 Member
    I have pcos been on metformin for it for about a year but I also have prediabets so im hoping if I loose the weight I need to loose that I will be able to get away from the prediabets.
  • MarieTrees23
    I have pcos been on metformin for it for about a year but I also have prediabets so im hoping if I loose the weight I need to loose that I will be able to get away from the prediabets.

You got this! I'm sure the weight lost and change in eating habits would help tremendously
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hypothyroid, and suspect PCOS (need to find a new gyno). I'm not what you'd call a super-success; I've been on 1200 cals and working out all summer (5-6 hours of cardio plus 1.5-2 hours of strength training), and it's only now that I look at vacation pics that I can see a difference in how I look. I was over 200; now I'm in the mid 180s probably - I'll know for sure when I weigh in on Thursday. I've seen people on MFP who scoff at those with hypothyroid and just call us lazy or say we're lying about what we're eating or how much we're working out, like it's not a real problem, but it got so bad for me that I was having cognitive problems, and I still can't get through most days without a nap. Even my GP wouldn't pay attention in the fall when I said I suspected a thyroid problem; I told her I was worried about the brain fuzz and low energy, that I was so tired in the afternoon that I literally could not read words on a page, that I could feel something was wrong and that I was in danger of losing my scholarship. She told me to eat less and exercise more. I finally went straight to an actual endocrinologist with a spreadsheet of exactly what my symptoms were and how severe; he ordered the full blood panel, not just TSH, found the out-of-whack antibodies, and put me on synthroid. Whadayaknow? I started feeling well enough to exercise again, could actually focus enough to study more, and pulled my grades up enough to get on the dean's list. (Still lost the scholarship. I missed the top 10% by two places.)

I doubt any of us are going to see super-fast results, and no one is perfect - not even the people who will jump down your throat for blaming weight gain on gland issues. What's helping me is to take away the good advice and leave the judgement behind. Yeah, I've got a thyroid problem, but the weekly stop for a Blizzard didn't help, nor the fact that I'd grab the nearest fast food on Wednesday Hell Day when class finally let out. (My school had us all scheduled for back-to-back classes on Wednesday from 8-3 without time to grab a drink or a snack, and we're not allowed to eat in the classrooms. We had 5 minutes to get to our next class and were lucky if we got a chance to speed-pee. All 100 of us left school on Wednesday and headed for a drive-thru.) Normal people take it for granted that they can do that once in a while and not have it show up; we deviate in the slightest and we balloon. Own what you can - weigh and measure your portions, don't go for junk calories, and work out as often and as vigorously as you can stand. Don't trust the calorie burn calculations for exercise that MFP gives you; use the MET formula and input it yourself. Don't eat back your exercise calories. Count your victories in sticking to your plans; the pounds will slowly follow.
  • MarieTrees23
    Hypothyroid, and suspect PCOS (need to find a new gyno). I'm not what you'd call a super-success; I've been on 1200 cals and working out all summer (5-6 hours of cardio plus 1.5-2 hours of strength training), and it's only now that I look at vacation pics that I can see a difference in how I look. I was over 200; now I'm in the mid 180s probably - I'll know for sure when I weigh in on Thursday. I've seen people on MFP who scoff at those with hypothyroid and just call us lazy or say we're lying about what we're eating or how much we're working out, like it's not a real problem, but it got so bad for me that I was having cognitive problems, and I still can't get through most days without a nap. Even my GP wouldn't pay attention in the fall when I said I suspected a thyroid problem; I told her I was worried about the brain fuzz and low energy, that I was so tired in the afternoon that I literally could not read words on a page, that I could feel something was wrong and that I was in danger of losing my scholarship. She told me to eat less and exercise more. I finally went straight to an actual endocrinologist with a spreadsheet of exactly what my symptoms were and how severe; he ordered the full blood panel, not just TSH, found the out-of-whack antibodies, and put me on synthroid. Whadayaknow? I started feeling well enough to exercise again, could actually focus enough to study more, and pulled my grades up enough to get on the dean's list. (Still lost the scholarship. I missed the top 10% by two places.)

I doubt any of us are going to see super-fast results, and no one is perfect - not even the people who will jump down your throat for blaming weight gain on gland issues. What's helping me is to take away the good advice and leave the judgement behind. Yeah, I've got a thyroid problem, but the weekly stop for a Blizzard didn't help, nor the fact that I'd grab the nearest fast food on Wednesday Hell Day when class finally let out. (My school had us all scheduled for back-to-back classes on Wednesday from 8-3 without time to grab a drink or a snack, and we're not allowed to eat in the classrooms. We had 5 minutes to get to our next class and were lucky if we got a chance to speed-pee. All 100 of us left school on Wednesday and headed for a drive-thru.) Normal people take it for granted that they can do that once in a while and not have it show up; we deviate in the slightest and we balloon. Own what you can - weigh and measure your portions, don't go for junk calories, and work out as often and as vigorously as you can stand. Don't trust the calorie burn calculations for exercise that MFP gives you; use the MET formula and input it yourself. Don't eat back your exercise calories. Count your victories in sticking to your plans; the pounds will slowly follow.

I have not seen any of the negativity from other members regarding thyroid issues and I really hope I don't encounter it. All I know is that if anyone legitimately feels that way they aren't educated on how the thyroid gland works.

With that said! I am glad you are feeling better. That's a pretty big accomplishment going from over 200! I'm currently in the same boat. I'm at 206 (started at 215) and aiming to get to 176 by December.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Y3JH2A
    Y3JH2A Posts: 2 Member
    I haven't had a thyroid in years and also have PCOS. The only way of eating that has worked for me is keto. I'm feeling better and better all the time while dropping some pounds. I'd highly suggest you read up on it a bit, it might be the perfect thing for you too!
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    I have PCOS and have for years. I find that I have to constantly stay on top of my weight. I can gain weight way too easily. I find that really all of the normal things are helpful, with the addition of avoiding too many carbs, particularly refined carbs. I feel much better when I eliminate most, with the exception of fruit and legumes. Adding weights into any exercise routine is helpful as well. For some people the high intensity workouts such as HIIT workouts or running can actually upset your hormonal balance rather than helping, the way it does for people whose hormones function normally. So, sometimes walking, yoga, and light weights are the way to go. Of course, just like any disorder it is not the same for everyone.
  • MarieTrees23
    jaims224 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and have for years. I find that I have to constantly stay on top of my weight. I can gain weight way too easily. I find that really all of the normal things are helpful, with the addition of avoiding too many carbs, particularly refined carbs. I feel much better when I eliminate most, with the exception of fruit and legumes. Adding weights into any exercise routine is helpful as well. For some people the high intensity workouts such as HIIT workouts or running can actually upset your hormonal balance rather than helping, the way it does for people whose hormones function normally. So, sometimes walking, yoga, and light weights are the way to go. Of course, just like any disorder it is not the same for everyone.

Thanks! This is really helpful
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    I'm just glad I can help. I'm here if you need any advice.
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    I have just been diagnosed with PCOS last week. It is a bit overwhelming, but it makes me feel so much better about what I have been going through for years with nothing to label it. Thank you ladies for this thread. It has been helpful to read through the posts.
  • MarieTrees23
    aKate_ wrote: »
    I have just been diagnosed with PCOS last week. It is a bit overwhelming, but it makes me feel so much better about what I have been going through for years with nothing to label it. Thank you ladies for this thread. It has been helpful to read through the posts.

Kate, I was diagnosed 12 years ago and I can tell you that though it is sad and life changing the best thing you can do for yourself is get it under control now. Better late than never. I'm glad they were able to tell you what was going on. Best of luck