supplements

Options
I am trying to get back on the weightloss wagon again, got discouraged because I was eating 1200 calories a day, and not seeing any results with no exercise. I saw an article recently that said if you are over 60, and you take in either foods or supplements with either safflower oil or sunflower oil, it will inhibit weightloss. any comments on this? I am taking 3 cholestoff pills a day for cholesterol, 3 cla pills, 3 fish oil and 1 borage oil pill a day. All these have safflower or sunflower oil in them. Can regular supplements block weightloss? MFP says I need 1200 cal. a day.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Never heard anything about either of these oils directly inhibiting weight loss unless they are putting you over your calorie limit.
    If you were discouraged with 1200 calories before maybe there were other factors involved and why you didn't lose. Are you weighing your foods with a scale? Cups, spoons and eyeballing are typically ineffective and can lead to eating more calories than you think. Is 1200 calories right for you? Depending on how much weight you need to lose this could be too little and for many people they tend to give up or binge. If you tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds a week 1200 is what you will get, but for many people 2 pounds a week is not reasonable.
  • cbunbaker
    cbunbaker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went back and looked at my goals, and I had put down 1.5 lbs. a week. Yes, you are right, that is not reasonable, since I am not walking right now. I changed it to 1 lb. a week, hope that helps. I need to lose 35 lbs. I bought a scale, but I quit using it. My breakfast and lunch are accurate, yogurt for breakfast, and a smoothie for lunch. Almond milk, frozen banana, 1 c. spinach, I scoop pea protein powder, I scoop chia seeds.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    How do you know they are accurate if you aren't weighing? My scoops for my protein powders are not accurate at all. I can make a cup of spinach light or dense depending on how I pack it. If you are not losing I would recommend weighing.
  • cbunbaker
    Options
    How should I be measuring the protein powder? I'm using the scoop in the container. The directions say one scoop. how much protein powder do you think I should be using? I didn't know, I've never seen anywhere how much I should be using. Thank you so much for helping me.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    cbunbaker wrote: »
    How should I be measuring the protein powder? I'm using the scoop in the container. The directions say one scoop. how much protein powder do you think I should be using? I didn't know, I've never seen anywhere how much I should be using. Thank you so much for helping me.

You should weigh the protein powder. The container should say something along the lines of 1 serving = 1 scoop (xxx grams) so it's easy to figure out how many grams are in a serving. My idea of a scoop and my husband's are two very different things so it's easy to get more or less than an actual serving.

This thread has a lot of good information http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Many times the weight of one scoop is not even close to the weight of one serving in grams. Always weigh.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

When I use the scoop in my protein container, a level scoop is around 17 grams. The serving size listed on the label is 30 grams. If I just used the scoop (the instructions say "use one scoop") I'd only be getting half the protein I wanted.

The inverse is true for most everything else I consume.... for example, the package says it contains 2 servings... if weighed it's closer to 3.5 servings. Happens to me often.

When I started weighing things, it changed everything about my weightloss journey.
  • cbunbaker
    Options
    For supper tonight, I got out my scale, and I weighed everything I put in my plate. Kraft shells and cheese, 2 oz. Knorr beef rice sides, 3 oz.,stewbeef, 2 oz., sweet peas2 tbsp. that was my supper. I looked on my pea protein powder container, and it said one level scoop is 33 grams(never noticed that before). So, should I be weighing out 33 grams for the powder? You are right, my plate of food was smaller by weighing it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    For supper tonight, I got out my scale, and I weighed everything I put in my plate. Kraft shells and cheese, 2 oz. Knorr beef rice sides, 3 oz.,stewbeef, 2 oz., sweet peas2 tbsp. that was my supper. I looked on my pea protein powder container, and it said one level scoop is 33 grams(never noticed that before). So, should I be weighing out 33 grams for the powder? You are right, my plate of food was smaller by weighing it.

It really is shocking. Cheese, pasta, and peanut butter are the ones that make me sad. You don't have to weigh out exactly 33 grams of your powder. I often just throw in a scoop and just log whatever weight that works out to, depending on my goals and needs. So one day, I may use the full 43g, and other days just half of that.