Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Clean eatings dirty secrets

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
On bbc I player - worth a watch :)

Replies

• fat2thinkitten
    fat2thinkitten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw this too. Was sort of gob smacked how this clean eating fad was fueling eating disorders. It's a multimillion pound business and a bit of a cult too. There was also another good BBC programme called the truth about healthy eating which was worth a watch too. I think the Mediterranean diet is the best and has been proven to be healthy. The Italians have it right!! X
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The dirty secret of clean eating is that it means nothing and usually is a self-congratulatory way of describing eating habits that are really quite similar to the ones many of the rest of us have.

Amen!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yay! I will watch this! I have been trying to understand what clean eating is for a long time and there is just no consensus, which has led me to believe there is no such thing. Can't wait to watch this special. Thanks for posting!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For those who don't have time for a 40-minute show, here's a piece written up by Eve Simmons from the video. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/e9b2d28a-3bd0-4f98-9829-c59788b5ed3c

This paragraph sums up the spirit of clean eating for me: needless restriction and fear of food.
    "I’d managed to convince myself that gradually restricting my diet was merely a way to ‘make healthier choices’. I’d preach to anyone who would listen about the amount of added sugar in bog-standard lunches. I resorted to baking my own ‘delicious’ sweet treats, jam-packed with the most tasteless seeds and nut-powders that I could find in Holland and Barrett. When I found out by some idiotic, unqualified food blogger that dried fruit ‘isn’t actually that healthy’, I would chop three apricots up into teeny tiny pieces to avoid ‘over-doing it’."

@KetoneKaren have you seen this thread yet? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

The first post does a great job of showing how many different ways there are to interpret the idea of eating clean. If you skip toward the end of the thread (p 29 or so?) there's a Clean Eating magazine excerpt and the list of ingredients Panera deems "unclean," so you can see how a couple of different "authorities" on the topic define it. But at the end of the day, there is no definition. There's just people making restrictive lists for what they're allowed to eat, and in some cases it can be extremely dangerous to their health.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • fat2thinkitten
    fat2thinkitten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The med diet was fresh veg pasta fish bit of what you fancy eg wine. Didn't exclude any food group unless you have a medical reason. There is so much information overload out there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The med diet was fresh veg pasta fish bit of what you fancy eg wine. Didn't exclude any food group unless you have a medical reason.
    That's exactly how I eat, but I don't call it anything.

There is so much information overload out there.
    This is so true.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Ask ten people what "clean eating" is and you'll get twelve different answers.

LOL this ...

clean eating is the most idiotic thing every invented...well besides stone washed jeans...
  • naijaman
    naijaman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always seen clean eating as eating a balanced diet while ensuring to not exceed my daily intake of sugar, carbs, fat and protein.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    naijaman wrote: »
    I've always seen clean eating as eating a balanced diet while ensuring to not exceed my daily intake of sugar, carbs, fat and protein.
    I don't mind exceeding any of my macros
    Eta I'm always over on sugar and it's mainly from food most people would consider 'clean'
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    naijaman wrote: »

That's not the typical meaning of clean eating (sounds basically like a version of IIFYM, instead), but the more it just becomes a pointless synonym for healthful eating or some such, the happier I will be. It already has no consistent meaning at all.

Now, I don't happen to think there's any reason not to exceed one's MFP goals (depending on how set and why) of carbs, fat, and protein (won't get into the sugar thing here, as my view on the best way to ensure moderate sugar intake is all over various sugar threads), but if one thinks that's healthful eating and therefore that it = clean, that's cool.

I eat in a way I consider healthful (more about appropriate calories, fiber, adequate protein, sources of fat, and lots of vegetables than carbs vs. fat or not exceeding my protein limit), so I suppose I too could define my eating as "clean," but "I try to have a healthful diet" works better for me. Clean is too loaded and liable to be misunderstood.