If lots of calories & carbs equal weight gain? Why am I still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• jessica_sodenkamp
    jessica_sodenkamp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @jessica_sodenkamp

How tall are you and approx what age? Are you here at MFP to reach specific goals? How much do you currently weigh?

Are you happy or unhappy about your weight loss?
    @jessica_sodenkamp

How tall are you and approx what age? Are you here at MFP to reach specific goals? How much do you currently weigh?

I'm about 5'4", 23 y/o. Trying more than anything to just be healthy, so I'm eating a lot of nutrient rich foods. Currently weigh 111 pounds. My calorie intake is around 2500-3000/day.

Example day:

Breakfast- 800-1200 calorie fruit smoothie

Lunch-
    800 calorie fruit meal or starchy cooked meal (potatoes, rice, etc.) with veggies

Dinner- 800-1000 calorie cooked meal (rice, pasta, potatoes) that includes a salad or veggies

I feel great but was just really surprised about the weight loss, because I'm a stay at home mom and spend most of my time at home. Sure I breastfeed, but does that really account for all those calories?
  • NotTheGuyYouAreLookingFor
    Options
    The carbs don't really matter in the grand scheme of things as it really comes down to calories.

One other possibility (other than what everyone else already stated and is more likely) is if you really are eating a ton with no exercise then it could be a malabsorption issue and you need to go to the doctors.

Actually monitoring your food intake could explain it all pretty quickly.

This is a very good possibility. I was consuming over 4500 calories per day with a sedentary lifestyle and was losing weight at one point. Turns out I had diabetes and didn't know it yet. I was literally pissing the calories away. It was all being flushed out through my kidneys. Do you find you are thirsty a lot? May want to pay the doctor a visit...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @jessica_sodenkamp

@jessica_sodenkamp

I'm about 5'4", 23 y/o. Trying more than anything to just be healthy, so I'm eating a lot of nutrient rich foods. Currently weigh 111 pounds. My calorie intake is around 2500-3000/day.

Example day:

Lunch-
    800 calorie fruit meal or starchy cooked meal (potatoes, rice, etc.) with veggies

Dinner- 800-1000 calorie cooked meal (rice, pasta, potatoes) that includes a salad or veggies

I feel great but was just really surprised about the weight loss, because I'm a stay at home mom and spend most of my time at home. Sure I breastfeed, but does that really account for all those calories?

That is a lot of calories for someone your height and weight with no exercise to lose at. Are you 100% positive your food logging is accurate?
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Can I have the recipe for an 800-1200 calorie smoothie?

Lots of banana, heavy cream, peanut butter, coconut oil, chia seeds, full cream milk, yogurt and protein powder. I've done 1000ish calorie smoothies before with these ingredients.

I would love to see OP's recipe.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    @jessica_sodenkamp

@jessica_sodenkamp

Example day:

Lunch-

Breastfeeding, chasing children, cleaning the house, playing in the yard...it all adds up my friend.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I bet it's got a LOT peanut butter and honey.
  • lucylou1977
    lucylou1977 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It does seem like a lot of calories but breastfeeding really burns calories. I ate exactly what I wanted while breastfeeding (which probably amounted to 2,500+ calories a day) and still lost weight, allbeit slowly. It only worked up to a certain point though - I had to put more effort into losing the last 15 pounds or so.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight without trying please go to your doctor. There may be an underline medical problem one mentioned diabetes it could also be your thyroid. Please get checked out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    @jessica_sodenkamp

@jessica_sodenkamp

Example day:

Lunch-

In all honesty, this post makes it seem as if you really don't know how much you are eating, at all. Do you log your food? Is this just a guess?

I agree which is why I asked for smoothie recipe

At her stats 5'4 and 111 if very active her TDEE would be around 2200, add breastfeeding becomes 2700

If she's accurate with calories, which I also doubt then she's eating at 500 defecit

Basically OP you are very light, you need to eat more ...increase the calorie density with avocado, nuts, oils, cream, cheese and pizza
  • jessica_sodenkamp
    Options
    @jessica_sodenkamp

@jessica_sodenkamp

Example day:

Lunch-

That is a lot of calories for someone your height and weight with no exercise to lose at. Are you 100% positive your food logging is accurate?

I eat simply with mainly whole food ingredients, so it is easy to log. I'm positive.
  • jessica_sodenkamp
    Options

7-11 bananas with water + 1 T PB powder is my go-to.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Do you weigh all of your food? Again, are you 100% positive that your calories are accurate or are you estimating?

• jessica_sodenkamp
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    @jessica_sodenkamp

@jessica_sodenkamp

Example day:

Lunch-

In all honesty, this post makes it seem as if you really don't know how much you are eating, at all. Do you log your food? Is this just a guess?

I know exactly how much I'm eating, which is why I'm so surprised.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That's so disappointing! :laugh:

The fact of the matter is, if you're losing weight you're eating in a deficit. If you open your diary people could offer suggestions where to add more in.

The first one being proper peanut butter not powder
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    11 bananas ..how on earth can you consume that much in one sitting ?

Cut down the bananas, add ice cream, yogurt, and real peanut butter to increase calorie density

Also just for a week log everything by weight

Those bananas could be anywhere from 70 calories to 150 calories ...you have no idea how many calories you are eating without weighing them ...and you are eating at a defecit you can't afford to be
  • jessica_sodenkamp
    Options

The fact of the matter is, if you're losing weight you're eating in a deficit. If you open your diary people could offer suggestions where to add more in.

Disappointing? And I don't mind the weight loss, I just found it interesting since all my life I'be heard you need to eat no more than 1200 or 1500 calories if you want to lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You heard wrong

How's your milk supply coping?
  • Christine_72
    Options

Disappointing? And I don't mind the weight loss, I just found it interesting since all my life I'be heard you need to eat no more than 1200 or 1500 calories if you want to lose weight.

Jessica could you open up your diary? Go here and set it to public, you will get more precise answers http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings