three month stint

Options
It is the beginning of August. Plan is to be very strict with the dieting for at least 3 months. Anyone want to share this journey with me ?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    Heaven forbid. Why would anyone want to do that.
    How about a sustainable long term change in lifestyle.

Sometimes people live a decent lifestyle and only need small adjustments once in a while.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    It is the beginning of August. Plan is to be very strict with the dieting for at least 3 months. Anyone want to share this journey with me?

Don't be very strict if that means eating too little or otherwise deprive yourself. You won't achieve that much in three months, but luckily, you can't keep up such a diet for three months anyway. The bad news is that you can harm yourself severely in three months, and most likely gorge yourself when you stop the diet, and regain all you lost, maybe more.

Having a good meal plan filled with tasty and nourishing food in appropriate amounts, and aming to follow it, can also be regarded as "strict". Choose that. But don't do it for three months. Do it for the rest of your life.
  • Machka9
    Options
    It is the beginning of August. Plan is to be very strict with the dieting for at least 3 months. Anyone want to share this journey with me ?

How much are you hoping to lose? 12 lbs or so?
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi Machika9. Thanks for your positive vibes. I have been on MFP for about 2 years but slipped over the last few months. Back on again and thought a little discipline would help me. My goal is to drop from 82kg to 74kg in the three months. A drop of 8kg in 12 weeks (that is 18 pounds in old money, just under 2 pound a week) A lofty goal but as Bruce Lee said "A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves as something to aim at". I find any difficult journey is made easier when you have good travelling companions. Want to help encourage each other ?
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance for the last 2 years. I have a goal of 8 to 10 lbs loss by end of September so I'm in for the ride. I want to do this for two reasons. Firstly because crossfit gymnastic work will be easier if I'm a bit leaner and secondly because I am going on holiday on Sept 28th.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hi Machika9. Thanks for your positive vibes. I have been on MFP for about 2 years but slipped over the last few months. Back on again and thought a little discipline would help me. My goal is to drop from 82kg to 74kg in the three months. A drop of 8kg in 12 weeks (that is 18 pounds in old money, just under 2 pound a week) A lofty goal but as Bruce Lee said "A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves as something to aim at". I find any difficult journey is made easier when you have good travelling companions. Want to help encourage each other ?

I've lost all the weight I want to lose at the moment, but a year ago I did lose 15 kg in 16 weeks ... so it's entirely possible. I stuck like glue to a net 1250 cal diet for those 16 weeks.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Machika, you are an inspiration.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm aiming for 2/3lbs a week off ( a lot to lose). I won't be anywhere near target by November but it's a nice goal to have dropped a dress size or 2 by then.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i cracked down hard a week ago. Last year the Thanksgiving through New Year's season took a toll, so this year I'm preparing for it, working to lose a few pounds more than how I've been trending with weight loss, with the expectation that there's then room for a couple pound gain related to holiday celebrations. 3 months is the perfect window of time. For me it's easier being super strict than allowing some wiggle room. I can easily wiggle into maintenance and beyond.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    sounds like a miserable time lies ahead....
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    i cracked down hard a week ago. Last year the Thanksgiving through New Year's season took a toll, so this year I'm preparing for it, working to lose a few pounds more than how I've been trending with weight loss, with the expectation that there's then room for a couple pound gain related to holiday celebrations. 3 months is the perfect window of time. For me it's easier being super strict than allowing some wiggle room. I can easily wiggle into maintenance and beyond.

This year, don't let that time of year take a toll!

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Heaven forbid. Why would anyone want to do that.
    How about a sustainable long term change in lifestyle.

They are cutting for a physique or Bodybuilding competition. They are a MMA fighter entering camp and cutting to make weight? Many reasons why. Not sure the OP asked for your judgement....
  • gpstreet
    Options
    BillMcKay - I have a goal this year to stay below 75kg for one month. Last year my goal was to get below 80kg for one month and that was a drop from 88kg. That is all. I am fine with opinions, judgements, jokes, quotes and handy hints about how to grow courgettes.
  • Machka9
    Options
    sounds like a miserable time lies ahead....

Being on a strict diet doesn't have to be miserable.

As I mentioned, I stuck to a net 1250 cal diet for 16 weeks.

It was only for 16 weeks, so there was an end in sight ... it wasn't forever.

Going with a net 1250 cal, meant that when I exercised (which I do every day because I love being active), I could eat more. I was actually eating anywhere from 1400 to about 2000 calories a day depending on how much activity I was doing that day.

1400-2000 calories is a pretty decent amount. On my birthday, for example, which fell right in the middle of all this, we went out for Mexican food one day and then I ate half a chocolate cheesecake the next day. All that fit within my calorie limit because I also cycled a lot that weekend. :) That was certainly not a miserable weekend!!

(A little note regarding the activity, I estimate my activity on the low side ... slower speed than what I actually walk or cycle, slight shorter distances/times than what I actually do and while I was on the net 1250 cal portion of my diet, I ate anywhere from 50% to 75% of my exercise calories back, depending on how hungry I was)

One of the things I did when I started the diet was to comb through the options in my local grocery stores and markets ... I read labels and looked at everything. I had made the decision to eat only foods I liked, and by spending several days finding out what was available to me in the grocery stores and markets, I was able to put together some great meal options. I went from eating the same ol' stuff all the time (boring) to eating a much wider variety. I started really enjoying meals!

Through a little bit of trial and error, I discovered what foods were filling and which ones weren't (pears and cashews, for example, are not worth it).

And the other thing is ... IMO it's not a healthy idea to base where I am on the scale of misery >>> happiness on food. Food can add to the enjoyment of a day or event or something, but I'd rather base my happiness on other things.

Food enhanced my birthday weekend, mentioned above, but what made that weekend really good was that my husband and I went away for a long weekend, which is always nice ... we cycled every day, which I love doing ... we went to The Phantom of the Opera one evening, which was incredible ... and we went to the Speedway another evening, which I also enjoy. My lack of misery that weekend had more to do with all the stuff we were doing than what foods I could or could not eat. :)