Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• sjo_fitness
    sjo_fitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got the shakeology as a deal with a friend that is a fitness coach. Never in a million years would I spend $130 per month on a shake. I think that its okay. The taste is fine as long as you drink it ice cold. I don't find that is has helped stop cravings or fill me up, which is annoying lol. I prefer to physically eat my protein and nutrients. For some I know it has been great and worked very well. I am going to try to be better about drinking it regularly and see if that works since I have an entire bag left basically. But for 250 calories I rather eat something like a hard boiled egg and avocado instead of drinking a drink. That's just personal preference. I think natural, healthy and clean foods are the best thing for your body instead of putting products into you. Again that is just my opinion!
  • jennde75
    jennde75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YUCK on Shakeology!!!! I just returned what I bought because I had to gag it down. I prefer Advocare Shakes personally but that is just my preference. If you are wanting to get more protein there are other shakes that are less expensive then Shakeology and Advocare... and I am an Advocare Distributor!! Save yourself and your tastebuds, eat more chicken, fish, nuts and other higher protein foods.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've tasted Shakeology and if it were given to me for free I'd drink it for no other reason except that it's free and I'm not too hard to please when it comes to protein powder. However, you can buy so many other powders for half the cost or even less. You can add in your own fruits and veggies as well. There is nothing magical about Shakeology whatsoever. If you want something that is comparable to everything Shakeology claims it has, try Vega One protein powder. I drink that when I'm in the mood for a protein shake and much prefer it to whey based protein shakes, as I find it easier on my stomach.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    jawsd54 wrote: »
    I recently just started using Shakeology and can definitely notice the difference. Yes its a lot of money up front, but it isn't bad if you use it to replace a meal. Does a very good job of filling you up for around 250 calories.

Came here to say this. It's a very expensive shake that you could easily create yourself for half the money.

Fills you up? Guffaw! Not really.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Used to be a BB coach, used to drink Shakeology. Stopped wasting my money. It's an okay shake, nothing special, not anywhere near worth the money. They have not had what's in it verified by any outside agency, so my assumption is it's basically a placebo.

If you really like the shake idea, get a better priced protein powder and throw it in a blender with a frozen banana and whatever veggies you can spare, and take a multivitamin. :wink:

OP, I honestly believe the key to not falling off the wagon is getting on the correct wagon in the first place. Take the time to find a way of eating that you can stick to for the rest of your life. Log everything for a couple of weeks, then look back at those logs and figure out what you ate on the days you happily hit your goal, and what you ate on the days you struggled. Then learn from that and keep logging. Don't be too restrictive so you can't stick to it. But do work to be accurate so you really KNOW what's working and not working. Try pre-logging your day, that has helped me out a lot. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    complete waste of time and money ..

all you need is a calorie deficit, food scale, micro/macro adherence, and some form of exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It feels good knowing I'm drinking something with so many good ingredients, knowing how good it is for my health. And I have more energy throughout the day, which always feels fabulous to me :)

you can get good ingredients without shakeology ..
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    jennde75 wrote: »
    YUCK on Shakeology!!!! I just returned what I bought because I had to gag it down. I prefer Advocare Shakes personally but that is just my preference. If you are wanting to get more protein there are other shakes that are less expensive then Shakeology and Advocare... and I am an Advocare Distributor!! Save yourself and your tastebuds, eat more chicken, fish, nuts and other higher protein foods.

Another great first post.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I drink it every day and I love it! The strawberry one is amazing, I throw in 1/2 a banana and a huge heaping of spinach. I drink it on my way to work every day and I feel fabulous. I recommend trying it for yourself and seeing how you like it and feel on it. Let me know if you try it and what you think!

Strong first post. LOL @ everyone who loves it in these discussions being brand new members who join and instantly post in these Shakeology discussions. Every. Single. Time.

lol I notice that too. I tried it and it's just now sitting on my counter. You have to add so much stuff to it to make it even taste ok. I did it thinking it would be a quick on the go breakfast because my mornings, like everyone, are quite hectic. I'd rather starve than to try and choke those shakes down. The chocolate is chalky. The greenberry was yuck. And coaches have the nerve to say the chocolate is like their chocolate salad. lol

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It feels good knowing I'm drinking something with so many good ingredients, knowing how good it is for my health. And I have more energy throughout the day, which always feels fabulous to me :)

How do you attribute your energy levels to the Shakeology?
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people that love it. They claim it has all these amazing benefits........but they sell it, so of course they won't say anything else. I used to drink it. I liked that it was quick and something I could drink on the go.....I thought it helped curb my cravings and made me feel better, Then I dropped my bag in the sink one day and realized after I stopped drinking it that my cravings were still curbed and I still felt great....Thanks to my overall diet and exercise routine. I had mentally attributed my success to Shakeology, when in fact it was all the healthy changes I had made along the way. I won't ever spend that kind of money on it again. If I got some free......sure I would drink it for my days when I don't have time to eat, but if I had to buy something I would stick to my EAS 100 cal protein shakes.

I felt pretty much the same way. Are the Shakeology shakes bad? Not at all. Nothing wrong with them. I just think they're charging twice as much as what the competition charges for a similar product and it doesn't have any magical woo to make you less hungry.

I like EAS. I'm currently using CytoSport's Muscle Milk. Either way you can get 5 - 6 pound bags in the $40 - $60 dollar range for several of the major brands making what I consider to be pretty good quality protein shakes. Good luck getting that value with Shakeology which will put you back about $129 for 30 servings that only have 17 grams of protein per serving. The CytoSport bag has 75 servings that each have 27 grams of protein for only $40. Let's do some simple rounded off math. If you took one a day you could easily use that CytoSport bag for 2 months. That's a cost of $20 a month. If you want to spend an extra $100 a month more on Shakeology which is basically the same product with more vitamins and less protein, go right ahead.

Yeah, I know, I know. Shakeology contains super foods or whatever they're putting on the label. So have a Muscle Milk shake (only 130 calories) and then have a yummy super food salad or just have a multi vitamin each day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The Labrada Lean body high protein MRPs are a decent MRP. And at less than $2/pouch, a superior alternative (IMHO, of course).

And unlike some others here, I don't get a cut if you decide to go that route.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I drink it every day and I love it! The strawberry one is amazing, I throw in 1/2 a banana and a huge heaping of spinach. I drink it on my way to work every day and I feel fabulous. I recommend trying it for yourself and seeing how you like it and feel on it. Let me know if you try it and what you think!

Strong first post. LOL @ everyone who loves it in these discussions being brand new members who join and instantly post in these Shakeology discussions. Every. Single. Time.

lol I notice that too. I tried it and it's just now sitting on my counter. You have to add so much stuff to it to make it even taste ok. I did it thinking it would be a quick on the go breakfast because my mornings, like everyone, are quite hectic. I'd rather starve than to try and choke those shakes down. The chocolate is chalky. The greenberry was yuck. And coaches have the nerve to say the chocolate is like their chocolate salad. lol

To be fair, chocolate is difficult to get a good flavor out of in a lot of brands. You'll just have to shop around to find one that you like if this is the flavor. I typically go for vanilla or cookies and cream. The Muscle Milk chocolate flavor isn't too bad. I've heard a lot of people rave about Trutein but I haven't tried it personally so I don't know if that's true or not.

At any rate just look at the carbs and protein on the Shakeology bag on your counter. It's basically 50/50 right? I think (In my non professional opinion) that it's better to get a low carb, low calorie shake and have that with something else that you find to be actually tasty. I have mine with an English muffin or two in the morning or some granola. Some days you don't mind hitting all your calories in a shake but if you're going to do this long term then you'll be better served if you find ways to fit in some protein and still enjoy your meals.

Best of luck.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I need to learn how to eat real food so I won't regain the weight I've lost.

A protein shake (or other liquid diet) would help you lose weight fast. You could LOOK like you've lost weight fast just by dieting and exercising. I look like I've lost a lot more weight than I have because the exercising I do has really toned me. I swim sidestroke and do the Gazelle elliptical. Those two exercises have toned me mostly between my knees and my waist, the areas that needed the most weight loss.

I've also done Pilates which worked well, too, but I'm a senior citizen now and the knees won't work well enough for Pilates. lol
  • brimingus
    brimingus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Pretty much agree with everyone else. Just go with protein powder. It's what I do. Cheap from Wal-Mart but with good nutritional values. You can pretty much make anything AND use all those "Shakeology" recipes.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've lost more weight calorie counting than I did when I tried Shakeology. IMHO Shakeology alone is nasty. I had to either drink it super fast so I wouldn't taste it as much or add a bunch of ingredients to make it enjoyable- which doubles or triples the calories in it. I'd prefer a cheap protein power and multivitamin.

Edit for grammar
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    jawsd54 wrote: »
    I recently just started using Shakeology and can definitely notice the difference. Yes its a lot of money up front, but it isn't bad if you use it to replace a meal. Does a very good job of filling you up for around 250 calories.

I'd rather EAT 250 calories than DRINK 250 Calories ....