Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think Shakeology is ridiculously overpriced for a less than tasty product. I regularly drink protein shakes on my way to work for a breakfast on the go, but I use either Six Star whey proteins blended with skim milk (they have a really yummy chocolate and a new caramel that's really good) or I use a Premier Protein ready to drink shake. Both are much, MUCH cheaper than Shakeology with more protein, fewer calories, and IMHO, better taste.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Save your money. There are cheaper protein shakes out there with better ingredients. :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Nasty stuff! I know people who use it, those same people sell it, and when they're no longer happy with the product or the pyramid scam they don't talk much about it any longer lol!

Every time someone asks me about a product like Shakeology or Juice Plus or Plexus, I always ask them a question in return... So what do you do 30 or 60 days from now when your body has changed, your exercise routine and nutrition plan has changed... are you still going to be using the same nutritional drink that you used in the very beginning? I bet the answer is "no". As your diet needs change and your body comp changes you'll be changing your nutrient choices. Go with a decent plant based protein powder and change it up as you need too :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    And watch out for multi vitamins... a lot of them are loaded with binders and fillers and crap that your body won't use. Why make your liver work overtime? If your nutrition is sound, you won't need a multivitamin.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love watching people on Facebook dive head-first into these MLM schemes, and then about 3 months later they've fallen off the wagon. Or how can someone 2 months into the "biz" become so good at their "business" that they can now "train" their friends? So far the count is 1 for Plexus, 1 for Shakeology, and 1 for It Works, and a big, fat ZERO for my friends...
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I am not advertising for any specific product but the ones that I have tried and really enjoyed are Vega Protein & Greens (chocolate and vanilla), Vega Clean Protein (vanilla), and Plant Fusion (Vanilla). All are vegan, easily digestible, taste great and have a hefty amount of protein. The Vega Clean also has all of the BCAAs. Good stuff!
  • AlexB6216
    AlexB6216 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm removing my post. I thought this was supposed to be a place to get support and not be attacked. All I did was give my opinion. I'm not trying to sell a product and I'm not trying to change peoples mind about it.
  • AlexB6216
    AlexB6216 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    AlexB6216 wrote: »
    I use Shakeology every morning and I love it. I have both the chocolate flavor and the strawberry flavor. I make my shake using almond milk, fresh/frozen fruit and ice. My mornings are hectic and it only takes me a few minutes to prepare my shake. I've talked to my dietician (I meet with her every month) and I showed her the package. After reviewing all the ingredients and nutrition with 2 other dieticians, she informed me to continue using it :smiley:

It's not everyone - if you don't like then don't drink it. If you think it's to expensive then don't buy it. I've done my math and it's worth it.

You should get a new dietician. Here is a good read.

http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1

" I’m confused, given that the label says the “Proprietary Superfoods” weigh 33g. What this means is that 7.93 g of these “superfoods” are unaccounted for. Too bad. Likely it is the weight of the “superfoods” listed as non-medicinal ingredients (barley grass, spinach, lycium fruit, and wheatgrass) and the other stuff not included in the health claims that you only see when you look in the small print (oat grass, Himalayan salt, some enzymes, luo han guo, cocoa, and lactobacillus)

This still leaves 9 g unaccounted for, which can only be the weight of the non-”superfood” non-medicinal ingredients listed. They are blueberry flavor, chocolate flavor, cinnamon flavor, D-fructose, guar gum, pectin, stevia rebaudiana leaf, and xanthan gum.

Might I point out how sad it is that they had to add blueberry flavor even though one of the listed “superfoods” contained in it is blueberry? Just proves how insignificant are the quantities of the products in this stuff and how far removed these extracts are from the real deal.

So, you are paying for 17 g of protein, which you could get anywhere for SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper, and an insignificant quantity of dried plant powders. Just to give an example of the insignificance of these quantities, I have some quinoa kicking around the house. The ingredient listing states there is 617 mg of quinoa in Shakeology. I couldn’t even weigh this at home as my kitchen scale is not sensitive enough to detect anything under 2 g. So I had to use my chemistry scale at work. The resulting mass of quinoa seeds, in a single layer, was about the size of a loonie. "

Keep you read to yourself. I'm not advertising for BB. I simply gave my opinion.

You don't know me or my life or my journey in getting rid of my weight :smile: and I will keep my dietician, thank you for much!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    whole foods all the way and protein shakes to fill any gaps to daily macro/calorie requirements.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I use Shakeology every morning and I love it. I have both the chocolate flavor and the strawberry flavor. I make my shake using almond milk, fresh/frozen fruit and ice. My mornings are hectic and it only takes me a few minutes to prepare my shake. I've talked to my dietician (I meet with her every month) and I showed her the package. After reviewing all the ingredients and nutrition with 2 other dieticians, she informed me to continue using it :smiley:

It's not everyone - if you don't like then don't drink it. If you think it's to expensive then don't buy it. I've done my math and it's worth it.

http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1

" I’m confused, given that the label says the “Proprietary Superfoods” weigh 33g. What this means is that 7.93 g of these “superfoods” are unaccounted for. Too bad. Likely it is the weight of the “superfoods” listed as non-medicinal ingredients (barley grass, spinach, lycium fruit, and wheatgrass) and the other stuff not included in the health claims that you only see when you look in the small print (oat grass, Himalayan salt, some enzymes, luo han guo, cocoa, and lactobacillus)

This still leaves 9 g unaccounted for, which can only be the weight of the non-”superfood” non-medicinal ingredients listed. They are blueberry flavor, chocolate flavor, cinnamon flavor, D-fructose, guar gum, pectin, stevia rebaudiana leaf, and xanthan gum.

Might I point out how sad it is that they had to add blueberry flavor even though one of the listed “superfoods” contained in it is blueberry? Just proves how insignificant are the quantities of the products in this stuff and how far removed these extracts are from the real deal.

So, you are paying for 17 g of protein, which you could get anywhere for SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper, and an insignificant quantity of dried plant powders. Just to give an example of the insignificance of these quantities, I have some quinoa kicking around the house. The ingredient listing states there is 617 mg of quinoa in Shakeology. I couldn’t even weigh this at home as my kitchen scale is not sensitive enough to detect anything under 2 g. So I had to use my chemistry scale at work. The resulting mass of quinoa seeds, in a single layer, was about the size of a loonie. "

17g of protein and a whole lot of useless crap!

Vega Clean - 25g protein, 4g BCAAs, 130 calories. Much cheaper, and I don't have to sell it to anyone :smile:

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Keep you read to yourself. I'm not advertising for BB. I simply gave my opinion.

You don't know me or my life or my journey in getting rid of my weight :smile: and I will keep my dietician, thank you for much!

Do what you like, but it's a proprietary blend, so your dietitian didn't actually review all the ingredients.

But more power to you and do whatever you like.

OP, personally I found a more inexpensive protein powder that I use as a midmorning snack. The only reason being I skip breakfast, and it helps me to hit my daily protein goals. If I don't need a shake to hit that goal, I prefer whole food sources.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Your dietitian had to consult 2 other dietitians in order to determine if Shakeology was right for you? Was it that difficult to determine if Shakeology was good or not or is your dietitian just a middle man for actual dietitians?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Seriously no offense, but it's weird how the "my dietitian reviewed the ingredients with her colleagues and they were very impressed" is a common theme in Shakeology advertising, yet I've never found a dietitian who recommends Shakeology (who isn't being paid to appear in their advertising). Considering they will not show anyone outside of Beachbody what is actually in the stuff and how they determine the amounts that go on the back of the bag and the manufacturing process, I'm not sure how your dietitian could tell it was something you should take.

Oh, and flagging a post for "abuse" because they suggested you switch dietitians is probably not a correct usage of the flagging system.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

@wetcoaster is trying to help you. Don't you see that?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    whole foods all the way and protein shakes to fill any gaps to daily macro/calorie requirements.

I prefer half foods because they are delicious.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm removing my post. I thought this was supposed to be a place to get support and not be attacked. All I did was give my opinion. I'm not trying to sell a product and I'm not trying to change peoples mind about it.

To me, support is sharing the truth and not blindly supporting everything that they do. It's ok that people offer opinions different than your own. And since it is a very expensive product, I really don't understand how someone trying to say that there are more inexpensive products that do the same thing is bad?

And sharing someone's review of a product is an attack?

I can't even with this place.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rebel_26 wrote: »

I prefer half foods because they are delicious.
    rm6a8ts9vlaj.jpeg