Workouts that burn 500 Calories

Options
Hello everyone! I am trying to step my game up in the gym. Does anyone have any workouts that I can do that burn about 500 calories? I have been using the elliptical and treadmill (C25K) along with strength training but I am only burning about 300-350 calories on average. Any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do the same workouts for a little longer, or at a higher intensity. Running is one of the best calorie burners.
  • brookeaarnold
    brookeaarnold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    spinning, running, turbo fire, any type of boot camp
  • akaiser1
    akaiser1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Zumba is a great way to burn calories. For a one hour session I burn 600+ calories.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do a 45 minute walk at lunch, that burns 270 some odd calories, and then I go to the gym at night and do elypticall and weights, that burns about 400 calories...
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is different from person to person and mostly from male to female. The metabolism is different so a workout that for me say burns 500 calories for you can burn only 300. I'd sugest doing your research and exercising "in the zone" and finding out which routines will get you to that amount of calories. Record your average heart rate and if you can measure your VO2Max and you'll have a pretty accurate figure.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    INSANITY Max Interval Plyo/Circuit
    Turbo Fire- Fire 55EZ Class
    These usually hit in the 450 range for me...I usually find that if I do hard cardio for about 45-60 min I will hit around 400+ calories burned!
  • lafriesen
    lafriesen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    An hour of Zumba burns 500-800 calories. I've been doing only Zumba 3 times a week and I've been getting excellent results in not only weight loss but in tightening up everywhere. The inches are melting off...
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? Spinning, cardio kickboxing or step-n-tone aerobics are big calorie burners.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How long are you working out for? Increase your resistance and your time. Ex- I do the elliptical on level 13 (out of 1-20) and go like crazy for 45 minutes- I can burn like 700-800 calories. I once did it for an hour and burned over a 1000 calories..it's not easy..but getting in shape isn't supposed to be. I guess the best answer is kick it up a notch..if you are only doing 30 minutes..it's going to be hard to get 500 calories- probably you would have to do 30 minutes of plyometrics etc.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire!! I burn about 600 calories a workout but they are about an hour long
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine is my favorite. Talk about a workout!

Have you considered increasing the resistance/incline on the elliptical and treadmill? That should help burn more calories.

Just curious, but why the magic number 500? To burn 3500 calories a week? Make sure you're switching up your workouts or your body'll figure you out :P
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    Calorie burn is different from person to person and mostly from male to female. The metabolism is different so a workout that for me say burns 500 calories for you can burn only 300. I'd sugest doing your research and exercising "in the zone" and finding out which routines will get you to that amount of calories. Record your average heart rate and if you can measure your VO2Max and you'll have a pretty accurate figure.

I agree...you may want to invest in a HRM if you don't have one so you can see how long it takes you to get "in the zone"...you may need to intensify your workouts!!
  • Jenni_84
    Jenni_84 Posts: 2
    Options
    I really need help on what I should be doing at home to burn those calories and to tone up mt body and loos weight? PLEASE HELP:noway:
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    i do the treadmill and ellptical also... but I do the c25k program twice and then walk on the treadmill for 20 min. and in between the c25k programs I do the eliptical... an strength training between each cardio.
  • AmberM6912
    AmberM6912 Posts: 79
    Options
    does your gym offer classes? I do kickboxing and zumba and usually burn between 500-700 calories/hour. if you dont have a heart rate monitor, I totally recommend getting one because I definitely found that the machines can be off. Also, I recently started working out with my boyfriend and some other people and they set up a circuit with about 5-7 different stations, alternating cardio (ex. jump rope) with strength then abs. They do each station for 30 sec straight and then take a 30 sec break. It doesn't sound like a lot but after an hour of doing that I thought I was literally going to die. I burned about 750 calories that hour. whew!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you burn depends on your size. I only burn 300-700 calories doing one of the Insanity exercises but a friend thats the same age and is also female but weighs 30 more pounds than me burns 400-800 calories.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    tawnyhacker,

I'm running about 40 minutes and getting 500+ calories - running about 4.5-4mph.

I have an Android phone, a droidX and have an app from http://www.runkeeper.com - in which I enter my height/weight and it uses GPS to track my run and calculate calorie burn.
  • MelissaGull
    Options
    I would stay on the machines a little longer.. In past wt loss journeys I would do the Eliptical for an hour, burning around 800+ cal.. Check your settings.. raise the incline or resistance to give that extra boost!!
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    You don't mention if you're using the incline on the treadmill. It's a great way to add calories to your workout. I burn about 840 calories in an hour at 15% incline and 4.2 mph on mine.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Running and Zumba are the crazy calorie burners.
    Are you doing strength training though? Better to do strength for 10 to 30 minutes and then burn 150 to 300 with cardio.