Do egg whites matter?

Options
I cooked an omelette with 2 whole organic eggs. Should I use 1 whole and 2 egg whites instead or anyone have any suggestions? Is it healthier?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Using egg whites rather than whole eggs would save you some calories, but you'd also miss out on the fat/nutrients in the yolks. Ultimately it's personal preference.
  • samiann96
    samiann96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks aren't bad for you. Just be careful if you're struggling hard with your cholesterol. But they have a lot of beneficial nutrients in them.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Unless you need to watch your cholesterol, then it really doesn't matter. The body already produces cholesterol so any cholesterol you eat is added cholesterol.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    1 large egg yolk has 55kcal, 4.5g fat, 0.6g carb, 2.7g protein, and 187mg cholesterol.
    1 large egg white has 17kcal, 0.1g fat, 0.2g carb, 3.6g protein, and no cholesterol.

You can have a bigger omelette by substituting egg whites for the second egg if you want to...it's up to you...an omelette made with one whole egg and 4 egg whites would be the same calories as a two egg omelette but lower in fat and higher in protein and may be more filling due to the extra volume.

Two egg omelette has: 144kcal, 9.2g fat, 1.5g carb, 12.6g protein, 374mg cholesterol.
    1 whole egg + 4 egg whites: 140kcal, 5.0g fat, 1.6g carb, 20.7g protein, 187mg cholesterol.

As already stated, unless you are limiting cholesterol and/or fat intake, or just want more volume and protein for the same calories, you can eat 2 eggs.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It depends on your macros. If you need more fat, use the whole egg. If your focus is on protein, use the white.

I usually make an omlette with two whole eggs and two egg whites.