So hard not to snack at night!

Options
So, one of my goals is to not eat in the evening after 8 pm. I got home from the gym late tonight and feel starved!. My workout was intense and I definitely felt the burn. I'm trying to be strong and not get a snack at 10:23 PM. Any words of wisdom out there?

Replies

• katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Remember why you are doing this!
    Have a healthy snack after workout!
    Good luck
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Agree with limiting snacking in general, but will say if you hit the gym then you probably should have something - high protein content would be good. It's generally advised to eat something with protein and carbs within 20 or so minutes to help muscle recovery. On days you don't go the gym make sure you've got proteins, (healthy) fat and fibre in your dinner, as these should make you feel full. Try to avoid large quantities of processed/white carbs (check gi) which pass through very quickly and potentially actually lower blood sugar making you more likely to want to snack later. Of course, these are generalisations and won't work for everyone but may be somewhere to start?

Do you tend to snack at night out of habit, boredom, hunger or something else?

To help those times when you absolutely have to snack is often worth having some pre-prepared to help you make good choices. Examples may be pre-cut veg sticks with a healthy dip, (something bean based such as hummus to add protein? I make my own with about half the oil to reduce fat content/calories), pre-weighed portion of nuts, pre-portioned homemade trail mix etc - you get the idea.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    P.s. another tip I've found useful is when you're done eating then brush your teeth, (leave at least 30 mins after eating). The taste will put you off wanting to eat more. Personally it also acts as a trigger for my brain to know eating is done for the day, and lessens the desire for anything else. Even when I s do still want something, it feels wasteful to then have a snack after that as I'm very concious I don't need it having done my eating for the day and I'd have to brush my teeth again!
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You should be eating if you feel hungry. You're supposed to feel satisfied, not stuffed but definitely not starving, especially after an intense workout. Also, it doesn't matter what time of the day you eat as long as you are accurately logging everything in your diary. Not eating when you feel hungry is just going to lead you to binge eating. I workout sometime around 7pm-10pm because its cooler at night and I usually eat dinner afterward depending on what time I finish my workout. I'm down 37 pounds in 7 1/2 months.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    After an intense workout I would have a little something - maybe a hard boil egg? Or protein shake made w/cold water? On Tue/Thurs nights I have a kickboxing class bet 8:30-9:30pm - I eat dinner around 6:30pm before class cause by the time i get home, shower and put the kids to bed b/c I'm too exhausted to eat Id rather sleep :wink: .

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    It's generally advised to eat something with protein and carbs within 20 or so minutes to help muscle recovery.
    When applied to general population, this is overhyped. If one is getting in the required macro/micro nutrients they need daily, there's no need for a post workout meal 20 minutes later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    So, one of my goals is to not eat in the evening after 8 pm. I got home from the gym late tonight and feel starved!. My workout was intense and I definitely felt the burn. I'm trying to be strong and not get a snack at 10:23 PM. Any words of wisdom out there?
    I snack up to 11:30pm. But it's always going to be within my calorie limit. If you like to snack at night out of habit, then make sure to leave calories for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sunny_girl_tls
    sunny_girl_tls Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe. Thank you for the great advice. I am not very hungry in the mornings, but am always hungry at night. I have a hard time just stopping at a snack sized snack, which is why I just don't want to snack at night at all. I think I'll pre pack some healthy snacks and just snack on it on the way home from the gym so I can stay out of the kitchen.

@maidengirl_ . I wish that it was true for me to eat when im hungry, but it just doesnt work that way for my body. Im usually always hungry at night. It really sucks. I need willpower!

@pmastro724. I should have had a snack before I went but I was at a community event with my kiddos and all they had were hot dogs and chips. By the time we got home all I had time to do was change my clothes and get to the gym. I need to get better at planning!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Any words of wisdom out there?

You arbitrary tactic of not eating after 8pm is causing you a problem. Ditch it.

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about intermittent fasting? Its not a eating style I personally have adopted (I'm a eat every few hours type.) But from the sounds of your natural eating pattern it could possible work well for you. Search it in the forums and do some research, maybe it will help solve your problem...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here's my word of wisdom. You're not being fair to yourself. Look, you have an intense late workout, drawing down bodily stores of glycogen. That's fine, as far as that goes, but your body wants fuel afterward. I suggest that you schedule a few hundred calories of consumption, especially protein, after your workout. Earn it, deserve it, enjoy it. You can do this within your daily calorie budget.
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I find if I just put something in my mouth I can get by - like a cup of tea or water or a leftover veggie from dinner. It's hard though but I'm getting better at it with practice. I agree with the others - you should eat or drink something.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I eat air popped pop corn with margarine and spices. Whatever you eat, fit it into your calorie goal and you should be ok.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Why do you have that as a goal? The time you eat really has nothing to do with losing weight. It's all about the calories, so feel free to save some calories for snack time or late eating.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly acceptable to eat after 8pm if you can fit it into your calories.

However, I also try to limit night snacking because it's usually mindless, non-hunger driven snacking that does NOT fit in my calories.

Eat well before your workout, and maybe allow for a strict scheduled snack, like some cheese, or a glass of milk or something else. And then some tricks I use: go to bed early, brush your teeth, chew gum, drinking diet soda.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the comments. But why is snacking after 8 bad? If you incorporate this into your daily count then have it. KNOW your body. Like some people aren't hungry in mornings til 10ish Why should they eat earlier? If being hungry at night is a thing work in a snack or small meal for then. If you doing exercise late you'll need food anyway your body doesn't know it's 8pm and that myth of 'don't eat before bed' is just that. A myth. It's about your daily or weekly count. Do this and you'll look forward to that 8pm snack! If that's choc or an apple if it fits eat it
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat, as long as you are at a calorie deficit, you will still lose weight! :)
  • sunny_girl_tls
    sunny_girl_tls Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your tips!

@ kimirayray - last night a big glass of water is what helped tide me over! Practice makes perfect, right?

@ errollmaclean. It's a goal of mine because I know at night I eat mindlessly. I usually am not ever satisfied with a regular snack sized portion at night time. I agree that the timing itself doesn't have anything to do with losing weight, but I know for me that it is best for me to stay away from food at night. I think a good compromise is to just pack a snack to take with me to the gym that I can snack on afterwards. That way I can stay out of the kitchen when I get home and not be tempted. :)

@ Neanbean13. Snacking after 8 isn't inherently bad, but for me it is because that is the time I overeat. Planning a snack is a great idea though!
  • marzden11
    marzden11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're truly hungry, have chia seeds and water.