Gained 10 pounds in four days???

Options
Help! I celebrated graduation this weekend and didn't diet or count calories at all. The scale shows I gained almost 10 pounds. Is this possible in just four days? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It sounds like water retention. It usually takes your body about 3-4 days to flush out excess sodium. Drinking a ton of water can help your body flush it out a little bit quicker.
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Totally. I would drink a lot of water and other decaf beverages and don't worry about it. It's definitely not real.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Never EVER rely on the numbers on a scale to be true if you weigh yourself once a week or even once a month. That particular day, time you could be holding water, hormone effects it, stress, sleep, how much you've eaten and drunk that day etc. Fat doesn't suddenly appear over night because you've eaten some fatty foods or booze. Body is sensitive to its environment. Women more so effected. Don't stress it's not true weight. Go back to your nornal routine and weigh yourself few days later and again next week to see if it's evened out. Also if you due to menstruate or are or have will effect! It's not all scales it's clothes and measurements.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Ten pounds in four days is impressive!
    Let's do the math...
    If you consider a 2,000 calorie-per-day allowance to maintain, that means 8,000 calories over four days would not cause any change. Most sources claim a pound of fat requires 3,500 calories, so you would have had to have consumed (3,500 x 10) + 8,000, or 43,000 calories in four days.
    You'd have to have been working pretty hard to consume 11,000 calories a day!
    Based on that, I'm gonna agree that it's most likely water weight :)
  • kellykel100
    kellykel100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have your thyroid tested (tsh, t3 and t4).
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sunday I attended a party and had a ton of food that I wouldn't regularly eat. I gained 11lbs over night. I've lost 8.5 of those lbs so far in 4 days. It takes a while to get rid of all that salt. Just don't worry about it and keep moving forward.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? The OP does not need their thyroid tested.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Uh no. The more likely cause here is water retention.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Drink some extra water to flush the sodium. You'll be fine.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't get your question. It did happen for you, why is it still not possible? :)

I easily gain 7 lbs in 2 days (my free eating days).

Re water or not, from google: The average adult human body is 50-65% water, averaging around 57-60%.

So, weight is weight. Whatever it is, you're carrying it with you.

My advice is...eat less in a couple days.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Like everybody else said, it's probably water retention from too much sodium in the food.
    OR you might need a new scale.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Can you gain ten pounds in four days? yes. can you gain ten pounds off fat in that time period? no. Just eat like you normally do and the weight will come back off, it's mostly water.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This has totally happened to me. It is water retention. It will go away quickly.