Where do I start (weight training)

I just got cleared to start working out again after a year and really want to get in shape. I lost 30 lbs over the last 8 weeks and am hoping to lose another 15 by the end of the year. I am also hoping to not only do cardio which is what I normally do but add weight training. My question is where do I start? Is there an app or website that will give me a schedule with workouts or something like that? Help please!!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    A great program (in my opinion) is Stronglifts 5 x 5. It's simple (5 exercises in total, 2 workouts with 3 exercises each) and focuses purely on strength. Check it out at

stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Thank you so much!
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Any 5 X 5 program is a great place to start. Jim Stoppani's Shortcut series are also a great place to begin.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There is a variety of lifting programs. Depending on your goals and areas you want to focus on, would depend on which one is most ideal for you. Above is a listing of many of the lifting programs. StrongCurves and NROL4W tend to be the favorite of women. They are full programs which start with very basic and increase progression as you go through it.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Thank you
  • chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2016
    If you go to a gym that has good personal trainers ask them how to perform the exercises properly.

I'm assuming from your original post that your new to weight lifting and your year out may have possibly been an injury? If not please tell me to shut up! lol

My reasoning being that if you learn them properly the first time then you will get more benefit and lessens the risk of injury so you can train for ever and ever! Lol

If your not new and I'm boring you then yes the 5x5 method seems a good place to start (it's unfamiliar to me so I can't comment) but the other discussion members seem to rate it.

Hope this helps
  • CaptianAmer
    CaptianAmer Posts: 120 Member
    I just got cleared to start working out again after a year and really want to get in shape. I lost 30 lbs over the last 8 weeks and am hoping to lose another 15 by the end of the year. I am also hoping to not only do cardio which is what I normally do but add weight training. My question is where do I start? Is there an app or website that will give me a schedule with workouts or something like that? Help please!!

Bodybuilding.com has a good variety of workouts!!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Another vote for SL5X5!