1000 calories below maintenance, stopped dropping weight

Options
On July 11 (my 39th birthday), I promised myself that I would be in the best shape by my 40th birthday. I've been tracking my calories, and have been about 1000 calories below deficit every day, but the weightloss ha stalled.

My breakfast is usually egg whites, one yolk, and some lean meat or beans. Before lunch I'll snack on about 2 oz of nuts. For lunch I eat about 6 oz of chicken or beef with 3 cups of veggies. On gym days, I sometimes have a protein bar before, then a protein smoothy. On off days I'll just have a small snack of fruit, out a small piece of meat before dinner. Dinner is usually the same as lunch. If I get hungry after dinner, I'll have a mini bag of popcorn. If I get sweet cravings, I'll have any a dozen or so chocolate chips. And I may have about 2 oz of scotch while relaxing before bed.

I've been hitting the gym consistently for the past year or so. Right now I hit the gym 3 days a week, and follow it up with about 30 minutes of cardio. I'm a big guy (5' 10", ~245), but in relatively good shape although overweight (people usually don't believe me when I tell them how much I weigh). I focus on heavy weights (300+ lbs squat and deadlift for reps) and I'm spent after an hour of lifting, dropping sweat.

The first two weeks went well and I lost about 6 lbs total. Week 3 looked good at the start, but I didn't really lose anything by the end of the week. It looks like this week may be more of the same.

I'm realize it's still early, but I'm getting frustrated. I'm hoping someone here can give me words of advice, or maybe some encouragement. Is this to be expected? Am I over-reacting?

Replies

• granniegreenow
    granniegreenow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add more protein, you are not eating enough. Skip the popcorn and have 30grams of nuts instead. NOT PEANUTS.
    You are adding muscle it weighs more than fat, so measure yourself instead of weighing. Make sure you are having some yoghurt/milk /cheese, for the calcium you need. I always find that when I stop losing a few fish meals will kick start the losses again.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Weight comes off in chunks, not linearly. It's best to evaluate your progress month to month instead of week to week. The leaner you are the longer the evaluation period becomes. If, however, this continues and you don't lose for another couple of weeks it would be time to re-evaluate your process and see where you might have gone wrong.

Sometimes I go without loss for a full 2 weeks then it all comes off at once. The body and is weird like that. It holds onto water whenever it pleases. It seems to prefer holding onto water when you have introduced a new muscle stressor too, like a new workout or an increase in intensity.

This.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Only tree nuts, skip the chocolate & popcorn and add some cardio. Then give it a few weeks. Try not to change too many things at once it makes it a lot harder to figure out what works for you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You will not lose weight every week. Water weight has an impact on the scale readout. Water weight is temporary but can be caused by sodium/stress/muscle repair and a host of other things. Trust the science behind CICO but also understand our bodies are not terribly efficient. SOmetimes the work you do today won't show immediate results. But if you consistently eat at a deficit, you will lose weight over time.
  • AnthonyAMartin77
    AnthonyAMartin77 Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Add more protein, you are not eating enough. Skip the popcorn and have 30grams of nuts instead. NOT PEANUTS.
    You are adding muscle it weighs more than fat, so measure yourself instead of weighing. Make sure you are having some yoghurt/milk /cheese, for the calcium you need. I always find that when I stop losing a few fish meals will kick start the losses again.

More protein? I'm consistently over 200 grams. I'll admit that my macros could be a little better, but they not 'bad'; roughly 33% for each. Cut out the popcorn? Why do you think that will help? I'm already eating a couple ounces of nuts per day which is why my fat intake is a little higher than ideal. I usually don't eat peanuts anyway, but why do you have an issue with them? I find the popcorn to be more filling than nuts and only 100 cals.

I agree with the calcium intake, and I could eat more, but I'm not far off. My veggies usually have a good amount due to the broccoli, and etc. Me and dairy don't get along too well, so I try to keep it to a minimum, but I'll have an occasional Greek yogurt and almond milk.
  • AnthonyAMartin77
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

After lifting for a year, it's doubtful he's building muscle.

OP, stick it out. If you go a third week without losing, then it's time to tighten up your logging. This may include making sure everything that passes your mouth gets logged, using a food scale to weigh all foods, verifying the accuracy of the food entries you choose, utilizing the recipe builder over homemade or generic entries, and being mindful of the amount of exercise calories burned.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I've been lifting much longer than a year, although I've been more consistent about it over the last 12 months out so. Based on what I see in the mirror, I'd say that I have put on some muscle, but not an appreciable amount. I do see some noticeable changes in size, shape, and definition.

As far as logging goes, I try to keep track of everything; even small bites of extra food. I'm very familiar with the process, and have done it for a long time, so I know I'm fairly accurate when it comes to the amounts/weights. I've confirmed it with scales and measuring cups. I rarely use the homemade or generic options opting for manual entry of all my ingredients.

When I did my calculations, I used a sedentary lifestyle due to my job (I sit all day). I track my cardio, but don't factor in my weightlifting, so I know for a fact that I'm well within the 1000 calorie deficit.

It seems to me rust I just need to be a little more patent and not worry so much about small changes on the scale. If I can see, and feel the changes, then that should be all that really matters.
  • AnthonyAMartin77
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    Only tree nuts, skip the chocolate & popcorn and add some cardio. Then give it a few weeks. Try not to change too many things at once it makes it a lot harder to figure out what works for you.

why? only tree nuts? no chocolate or popcorn? add cardio?

in weight loss I ate a full chocolate bar every night..I lost 1lb a week consistently.
    I didn't do cardio until maintenance only lifted...see above.

It's not what you eat it is about how much.
    You don't even need exercise to lose weight.

I'm wondering the same things. What's wrong with peanuts? I only have a few chocolate chips about once a day to kill my cravings. And popcorn? It's only 100 calories and has ton of fiber. The cardio I'll agree with though. I'll be starting 30 minute brisk walks during lunch next week, so that should help.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • AnthonyAMartin77
    Options
    You will not lose weight every week. Water weight has an impact on the scale readout. Water weight is temporary but can be caused by sodium/stress/muscle repair and a host of other things. Trust the science behind CICO but also understand our bodies are not terribly efficient. SOmetimes the work you do today won't show immediate results. But if you consistently eat at a deficit, you will lose weight over time.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I know about the water weight issue. Every week I see a 3-4 lbs swing due to that. Sunday is usually my high day, then the weight starts to drop until Saturday morning when it usually hits a low point.

One thing I should note is that I changed my workout style around the time I started dieting. Instead of the typical bodybuilding style workout where one puts in 15-20 or more sets per muscle group, I'm now doing big, heavy compound movements (4-5 working sets per movement) for an intense full body workout. I alternate between upper body, and lower body for each workout. Due to the intensity, I'm completely spent after 4 exercises in about an hour.

Sounds to me like I just need to be more patient.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I know about the water weight issue. Every week I see a 3-4 lbs swing due to that. Sunday is usually my high day, then the weight starts to drop until Saturday morning when it usually hits a low point.

One thing I should note is that I changed my workout style around the time I started dieting. Instead of the typical bodybuilding style workout where one puts in 15-20 or more sets per muscle group, I'm now doing big, heavy compound movements (4-5 working sets per movement) for an intense full body workout. I alternate between upper body, and lower body for each workout. Due to the intensity, I'm completely spent after 4 exercises in about an hour.

If you have just switched up you routine I would say that is the issue. Water weight associated with an increase in glycogen stores.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    1000 calories deficit seems like a lot to me . 20% is about all I will do.
  • AnthonyAMartin77
    Options
    1000 calories deficit seems like a lot to me . 20% is about all I will do.

My maintenance is about 3000 cals, so a drop to 2000 isn't outrageous. A typical drop is 500 cals/day for a 1lb drop/week. I'm shooting for 2 lbs/week. It's faster than some people may be comfortable with, but I have a lot of fat to burn off. I don't see any reason for me to be concerned about the deficit.
  • AnthonyAMartin77
    Options

If you have just switched up you routine I would say that is the issue. Water weight associated with an increase in glycogen stores.

From what I remember, glycogen storage is largely due to the amount of carbs consumed, and is burned off fairly quickly because it is readily accessible by the cells. I've consistently kept my carb intake between 100-150 grams (except on my cheat day - Saturday). This is why I expect to see a small weight increase on Sundays.

Even though I have a cheat day, I still keep my calorie intake around maintenance, and I don't go crazy with the cheat foods. For example, if I go out for a burger, I'll skip the fries and soda. Carbs tend to be higher, around 200-250, but still acceptable.
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The beginning can be the most difficult part, you still have to figure out what works best for you and you don't have a larger loss to encourage you yet. But it sounds like you have a solid plan and are sticking to it, that's great!

Think about it this way: right now you are 6 lbs better off than you were 3 weeks ago :)

Every month I feel like I'm not losing any weight and nothing changes, but that's just my perception ( and impatience). In reality I'm closing in on 30 lbs lost.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Maybe it's just a temporary plateau? I'm about where you are. My weight isn't budging and it's frustrating. I'm about 2 months at this bouncing around. For me though I'm not good about weighing my food. I need to start....that's the hard part to get in the habit (for me). Keep at it and hopefully you'll start moving again! I'll just give encouragement...can't give advice when I'm in the same boat.