This explains alot about why almond milk is inexpensive and lacks protein!

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I stopped reading at 'almonds are an amazing source of protein'.

You should have continued reading, it said it was a good protein alternative for vegetarians

How could it be? The brand I tried had hardly any protein at all. It had 1 gram per 8 oz. On what planet is that a good source?
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and almond milk is quite cheap. I used to have it but realised I don't like it, tastes vile, especially in coffee. Try oat milk, it has slightly less calories than cows milk
    I have that because I don't like cows milk!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

You should have continued reading, it said it was a good protein alternative for vegetarians

How could it be? The brand I tried had hardly any protein at all. It had 1 gram per 8 oz. On what planet is that a good source?

My unsweetened almond milk is a good source of protein, after I dump two scoops of Isopure and an egg in it. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ironically Almond milk is more expensive here than regular milk!

1L of el cheapo brand cows milk- $1.25
    1L Almond milk- $3 on special, usually $3.50

Same here. Except almond milk actually costs $5 or more per liter.

And no. Almonds are not an "amazing" source of protein. It barely has 4 grams of protein per 100 calories. Even broccoli has twice the amount per 100 calories and neither of them compares to, say, chicken breast at nearly 20 grams of protein per 100 calories.

Edit: the tone of the whole article is infuriating, all the fearmongering and backhanded phrasing. It's not a surprise either. Every person who has ever made almond milk at home knows that it's mostly almond water: a handful of almonds blended in water then strained, so most of the original already small handful is actually discarded as pulp or saved for other uses. "Local", "organic", or "homemade" almond milk is no different than store bought and actually has a poorer nutritional profile because it has no added supplements, unless you leave the almond pulp in (and all the calories that come with it). Not sure a 200+ calorie cup of milk is a good diet substitute for good old 2% milk.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    tarboro84 wrote: »

Almonds ARE a good source of protein. What are you talking about??

They are a source but not really a good source. They are a good source of fat.

In 170 calories it contains:
    6 g carbs
    6 g protien
    15 g fat

Here's comparing it to a good source of protein like chicken:

In 142 calories it contains:
    0 g carbs
    27 g protein
    3 g fat

And for vegetarians

Compare it to 0% greek yogurt

For 97 calories (170g)
    6.8g carbs
    17.5g protein
    0g fat
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    if you find almond milk expensive do you own - dead easy, doesn't take long and costs you a 1/4 of what you buy it for already made in the shops.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would but I can't find the almond's nipples

Boomtish
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

not the milk.....the nuts. And before anyone bites my head off I am just saying what the article said, not that I agree with it. Hell the way they talked about dairy milk 95% of the planet should be dead!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ironically Almond milk is more expensive here than regular milk!

1L of el cheapo brand cows milk- $1.25
    1L Almond milk- $3 on special, usually $3.50

Milk for $1.25??? it's $3.69 for a gallon of milk where I live. And that's generic. Name brand is almost $5.

You'll notice they said $1.25 for 1 liter. There are 3.785 liters per gallon so that's $4.73 a gallon for the milk.

That's still more than what it costs here per gallon. A gallon of milk, name brand is $4.49. I think I've seen it for $3 something in Aldi, but I live in NY in a metro area so there's a high cost of living in general. Yay Long Island :/
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Almond milk is more expensive here than cow's milk too. Almond milk is $2.00/quart. I buy milk for $2.29/gallon (Minnesota) @ Kwik Trip, but that is cheap for here, and more expensive at the grocery stores.
    You can make your own almond milk pretty easily, but it is expensive. I have made it myself but would rather buy the commercial almond milk and eat the almonds.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

not the milk.....the nuts. And before anyone bites my head off I am just saying what the article said, not that I agree with it. Hell the way they talked about dairy milk 95% of the planet should be dead!

The aspect of the nuts being a "good" source of protein has been addressed in several posts above.

They aren't - they are good source of fat.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The casein in regular milk upsets my digestion so I use almond milk instead. I've never considered it to be a protein source or even needed it to be. It's an awesome source of calcium, though, with 50% more than cow's milk. The unsweetened is super low-calorie. Plus, you can use it for anything you would normally use milk for - I use it a lot in cooking and for smoothies. I don't even care if it's mostly water. It does what I need it to do.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The most shocking thing this whole thread has been seeing milk a dollar a gallon some places

Even at the 99cent store, it's 1.99
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, no kidding--I was thinking why on earth would almond milk have much protein?

Besides, I know how it's made and it's basically almond flavored water. That's why it's low cal, even though almonds are high cal, and has little to no fat, even though almonds are high fat.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    A serving of almond milk contains less than a fourth of the calories of serving of almonds. It's no surprise that a bulk of almond milk is water.

I always thought people use almond milk as a lower calorie, dairy/lactose-free alternative to regular milk, not because of its nutritional value.

we do! lolol. :D

I just looked at nutrition of mine. It has less protein, calories, sugar, and fat than milk. More vitamins.
    But, I've hated milk since childhood. I'm so grateful for nut and plant milks IDGAF if they have protein. When soy was the only thing available I paid dearly for it, and I was glad. I'm sure other milk haters are glad too.
    So don't hate on the almond milk, yall.

Sometimes it's not about money or nutritional content.

Protein is not the alpha and the omega.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'll take skim milk over almond milk any day of the week.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is a bit like being shocked that milk contains less beef than a hamburger.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I cant drink cow's milk and I just use a splash in my coffee, but I thoroughly enjoy all the responses that one little post can get.