Eating healthy vs. being active

Options
Anyone else here who eats whatever they want and focus on being active and burning calories? I dont deprive myself off anything and eat whatever I want on weekends .

Replies

• ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have found that I gain weight eating what I want no matter how active I am. igo to the gym 5 days a week but the only way I can lose weight is by limiting my calories. i wish your way worked for me!
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have found that I gain weight eating what I want no matter how active I am. igo to the gym 5 days a week but the only way I can lose weight is by limiting my calories. i wish your way worked for me!

Oh , im not talking about losing weight tho. Trust me , I cant lose weight without being extra careful on what I eat ! Im talking about maintaining my weight
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Anyone else here who eats whatever they want and focus on being active and burning calories? I dont deprive myself off anything and eat whatever I want on weekends .

Nope

I do focus on being active and training for body composition to maximise my TDEE

But if I don't log my calories and make judicious decisions I would quickly fall out of maintenance

I don't deprive myself of anything and eat what I want every day...but within portion limits and with some opportunity cost consideration eg if I have this I can't have that too

I have yo-yoed for 30 years ...enough time to prove to me that just cos I want it doesn't mean I can have it right then
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but suspect I don't actually eat as much as I think I do. :D I did used to eat 150g share bags in one sitting but cut that habit out years ago. Not sure I'll go back to that.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Loosing or gaining weight is a matter of quantity not quality of food.
    Eating healthy, clean, dirty, vegan, vegetarian, paleo or what ever else is a matter of personal choice and in some cases beliefs.
    OP - yes I do but not always - all depends on my calories / macros - the lower part of the calories sees me focusing on "healthy" / "clean" eating - the higher i go with my calories i fit my macros with what i like and want.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, you can eat anything. Just track correctly and hit your calorie goal.

For health, eat a varied and balanced diet.

I don't deprive myself and eat anything I like every day. I still manage to eat healthily.

I'm not very active, I suppose, but I walk every day.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This works if you have retrained you mind so that "anything you want" is not excessive amounts of garbage food. once you've broken the barrier and gone beyond wanting that stuff, then, probably, yes.
  • ckm013
    ckm013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did that while doing crossfit. Gained 20 pounds. Now I'm paying for it.
  • healthy491
    Options
    All of these points are valid. However by eating whatever I want , I mean during the week I eat things which arent healthy but still manage to stay under my daily calorie allowance and in the weekends I eat whatever I want and enjoy eating out
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    This works if you have retrained you mind so that "anything you want" is not excessive amounts of garbage food. once you've broken the barrier and gone beyond wanting that stuff, then, probably, yes.

For me it wasn't so much about breaking the barrier, as seeing past the confusion. I have a set calorie allowance that I have to/want to stay within. Which foods make it easy to stick to my calories, and which make it harder? Which foods leave me energetic, happy and satisfied, and which make me lethargic, disappointed and craving for more? When I break it down like this, it's really a no-brainer.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Wonder why he was barred. I guess not from this thread. :D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no I am very careful with my intake even at maintenance.

For my activity I need to get in my protein fats and carbs so I track/log and if I have room for treats I eat them.

But it's not just scale weight that drives me....body comp, health and fitness are my main drivers.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I tend to focus more on being active than logging my foods, but I wouldn't say I eat whatever I want. I still eat most things I enjoy, but in smaller quantities. I dont feel deprived most of the time, but I've also been at this long enough that I truly enjoy "healthier" foods, so things like doubling up on my veggies to bulk up my meals is completely satisfying for me.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I thought this threat on "naturally slim" people was very interesting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10428329/what-do-you-think-of-people-who-are-naturally-slim/p1

Though you say you "eat what you want," the quantity and quality of the foods you "want" may be different than others for a host of reasons. And your activity may be higher than many people which compensates for more indulgences.
  • healthy491
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I thought this threat on "naturally slim" people was very interesting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10428329/what-do-you-think-of-people-who-are-naturally-slim/p1

Though you say you "eat what you want," the quantity and quality of the foods you "want" may be different than others for a host of reasons. And your activity may be higher than many people which compensates for more indulgences.

That is actually really interesting ! Its a question I've been wondering about actually.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If I am under my calorie limit it doesn't matter from a weight gain standpoint but I prefer healthier foods for my calories. Eating whatever I want means fries & a burger washed down with beer and that means overeating and weight gain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly active but would have no problem whatsoever eating way more than what I burn.