Any ideas how I can add more strength in my workout at home?

Options
I don't go to the gym , and the only thing I have at home is 2lb weights and a exercise ball. I cant go out and buy weights since my husband got laid off. Any ideas would help

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Body weight program. 2lb dumbbells really arent good for anything, they are just too light.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight
    Look up convict conditioning, you are your own gym, Al Kavadlo, nerd fitness to get some good info
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises can be made harder by: changing angles to increase resistance and/or isolating to one body part (IE one legged squat) to bear the weight of the individual. Sorry but the 2lb weights are basically better off being paper weights because theirs really no exercise you can do with them to increase strength.

Well maybe if you put it on top of your toes and did toes lifts.

But doing body weight exercises: Push ups, pull ups, ATG squats, etc. I mention to clients to also look into a suspension trainer (like TRX) to save space and not worry to have to use weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym at all and only do home workouts. There are many that you can find on you tube that utilize your body weight and will get you feeling good in no time.
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Weight I use 5 and 8 pounds
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I realize that Cosmo isn't the best source of fitness information, but this article shows that, with some creativity, you can use inexpensive household items for weights:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/advice/a32196/items-that-work-just-as-well-as-weights/

• stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are also videos you can rent from the library that include combination body weight/cardio work that can be challenging. The bonus is you can constantly change up your routine by borrowing another DVD!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for cheap weights while you're husband is laid off, try Goodwill/Thrift and the sale and free sections of Craigslist. And moving sales. So many people buy equipment and never use it . . . . I've seen entire bench and free weight sets being given away for free just so people don't have to move them to a new house.

Fitness blender and YouTube both have lots of free videos you can use. I've also had fun doing random 30-Day challenges (ours focused on body-weight exercises) with friends. We did a glute challenge and were surprisingly pleased with the results.