Cold cuts?

Options
salogsdon81
salogsdon81 Posts: 1 Member
Any recommendations for cold cuts that i can use for wraps?

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    cold cuts are something that should be avoided due to the nitrates (and other bad additives).

If set on using them read the following link info for at least a guideline to try to weed out the worse ones.

Personally I would rather just slice down some chicken breast I made at home and add in some cheese or use some chunk light tuna in olive oil and cheese.

If you are a mayo person there is a recipe for "guilt free" mayo made from egg whites in second link. Use Extra virgin Olive oil to get those healthy fats covered.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-best-and-worst-cold-c1424208944932.html

https://my.ps1000.com/recipe/guilt-free-mayo/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat the hell out of hard salami, but I also have a very high fat allotment in my macros.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of smoked turkey. Are you looking for a suggestion on brand?

Another option is to make a big batch of lean meat and put it in the fridge/freezer. I usually eat chicken, but it depends on what's on sale. This morning I put chicken thighs in a 400 degree oven until they were easy to shred.

You can do the same with breast, pork, and ground meats. I sometime use rinsed ground beef to make taco wraps.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Cold cuts are nasty. Make your own chicken or turkey, slice it thin!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, across the various brands for a particular product, there is little variation in the amounts/types of additives in cold cuts. They all have nitrates and other chemicals added for various reasons, such as to extend shelf life or make the product more appealing. They also tend to have high sodium concentrations.

If you are worried about the added health risks from these additives, then you should follow the current medical advice on intake. The suggestion is to limit to 4 oz./week or less.
  • Spontaneously
    Spontaneously Posts: 36 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No lie, cold cuts save my grass (and kick up my protein intake dramatically) on a regular basis. Boar's Head makes some delicious turkey for slicing that isn't as fatty as others I've tried. My faves are the spicy flavors - Salsalito, Peppered and Blackened. They also carry a 3 Pepper Colby Jack cheese that is a household staple.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Health be damned, I still eat salami or cooked ham on a regular basis.

58059016.jpg
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    No lie, cold cuts save my grass (and kick up my protein intake dramatically) on a regular basis. Boar's Head makes some delicious turkey for slicing that isn't as fatty as others I've tried. My faves are the spicy flavors - Salsalito, Peppered and Blackened. They also carry a 3 Pepper Colby Jack cheese that is a household staple.

My favorite was boars head chipotle chicken. Since I want to avoid nitrates, I make it myself now. It's cheaper, healthier and better tasting,
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Use lettuce, it is a healthy option.
  • stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Applegate and Deitz and Watson both make Nitrite free cold cuts. I love the convenience of them so I try to make them as healthy as possible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    stircrzy wrote: »
    Applegate and Deitz and Watson both make Nitrite free cold cuts. I love the convenience of them so I try to make them as healthy as possible.

Yep you can find nitrate or preservative free cold cuts. I don't like the price of them though, and the Shop Rite store brand is just nasty (IMO).
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Yep you can find nitrate or preservative free cold cuts. I don't like the price of them though, and the Shop Rite store brand is just nasty (IMO).

Shoprite brand is SO nasty. Totally worth paying extra for Boars Head.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love Boars Head buffalo chicken
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

Shoprite brand is SO nasty. Totally worth paying extra for Boars Head.

Their regular stuff isn't bad but now they only sell their natural line in the prepackaged section and just... ew. Nope. I hate having to wait at the deli counter so I usually go elsewhere when I want deli meat now.

I really like Applegate though, but yeah, it's not really worth the extra cost to me.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    cold cuts are something that should be avoided due to the nitrates (and other bad additives).

Ridiculous.

Many vegetables are full of nitrates, and even if nitrates were only found in lunchmeat, the science is still out on whether they're actually bad for you, and there's evidence that some can be good for you.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And if for any reason it actually is important to you to avoid the nitrates & nitrites, Dietz & Watson makes yummy preservative-free cold cuts. Unfortunately my Costco isn't carrying them anymore, they used to be a staple at my my house. Just because they taste so good.

Edited to add: I just noticed someone else already mentioned Dietz & Watson.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would live on cold cuts and sausages. (But of course, I cannot)

I like the taste of a couple or three different cold cuts in a sandwich, wrapped or not. One of my favorite combos is Hard Salami, Turkey, Ham. Another is Roast Beef, Capicola, Spiced Ham. It just takes 1 slice of each to do the trick.

Then there are the cheeses to consider. With the first I like swiss, with the second I like provolone.

And then there is bologna. Oh, I just love bologna ... Mortadella or German Bologna with American Cheese, lettuce and tomato. Yummmm!

And yes ... I do have some of this once in a great great while. But I only buy at the deli counter and only get what I need to make the one sandwich for that nights supper. Otherwise I'd gain 5 pounds overnight ... perhaps in actual fat, but for sure in excess fluid retention!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    We often buy turkey or chicken breast, occasionally super thin sliced extra lean roast beef too (but it's expensive, so the roast beef is not too often)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid cold cuts since almost all of them are really high in sodium. You can easily buy chicken breast, grill it up then slice it thin for wraps, or if you want something quick roast beef tends to be low in sodium and fat.