Does caffeine make it hard to loose wheight, any suggestions

Options
I am an avid coffee drinker. I drink min. of 3 large triple triple coffee a day? I have tried to cut down on the amount of cream and sugar but I have a hard time knowing is hindering any wheight lose?

Replies

• Angelle
    Options
    I am an avid coffee drinker. I drink min. of 3 large triple triple coffee a day? I have tried to cut down on the amount of cream and sugar but I have a hard time knowing is hindering any wheight lose?
  • LadyZoe
    LadyZoe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There's a article here about coffee and diet
    http://www.ineedcoffee.com/03/coffeediet/
    It might be helpful
  • Angelle
    Angelle Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you I really appreciate it
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 or 5 16oz mugs of coffee daily and have lost from 225 to 162.5. (my goal is 157.) I think sugar in coffee is a sin and put a tbsp of half and half in each mug I drink. My coffee is 15-25 calories per mug, depending on if my husband picked fat free half and half. The caffeine isn't keeping you from losing, unless it keeps you from sleeping. (This has never been a problem for me and i am a 40 + year coffee drinker.) Adding a lot of milk and sugar keeps you from having those calories for other, more filling food, but if you can fit it in your diet the way you like it, them drink it.
  • kisselmike23
    kisselmike23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just don't add to much cream and sugar. Try to keep each cup 50 calories or under so you can eat filling food. I drink about a pot a day and have no problem losing weight it's all about being in a caloric deficit
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    for me, coffee is has 2 benefits: 1) I find it filling and I use it as a low-cal snack, and 2) the caffeine boost is great, and for me replaces the sugar rush from the sweet snacks that I used to go overboard on. I used to use lots of heavy cream, then switched to half and half, then to whole milk, now I use 2 TBSPs of 2%. I buy the good stuff, so no sweetener needed cause it's not bitter. For a "fancier" drink, I put a few drops of vanilla extract with a few drops of liquid sweetener. Often I snacked out of tiredness not hunger, drinking coffee instead gives me that boost, and doesn't add too many unnecessary calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If your coffee fits in your calorie goal without crowding out necessary food, then no it won't hinder weight loss.

If you go over your calories because of the coffee or are hungry because the coffee is using up calories you need for food, then yes it will be a problem.

Measure and log the cream and sugar and see how many calories it is and figure out from there if you need to cut back or not. Caffeine itself doesn't affect weight loss one way or the other, unless you count giving you energy for more exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No, caffeine does not hurt weight loss. Possibly a bit helpful, even, but I wouldn't overdo it, and if you mess up your sleep that will be counterproductive (poor sleep at least makes sticking to a calorie restriction more challenging for many).

I love coffee (black), and aside from the caffeine it was an aid in weight loss as if I wanted to eat something I could grab coffee instead (could also drink coffee happily when others were having a snack or dessert if I didn't wish to partake in the more caloric option).

Obviously high calorie coffee can be an issue if you go over your calorie goal (you need to fit it in or cut back if you cannot), but that has nothing to do with caffeine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    It's not the caffeine in your coffee. It's what you're adding with it that can be the difference and how much you drink with those ingredients.
    A teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories. An ounce of half and half creamer is 37. Now let's say you have 2 teaspoons and one creamer. Each drink then is 69 calories. Drink 3 of those a day and you're at 207. May not seem like much, but if you're on a 1200 calorie diet and 200 of it goes to just coffee, you can see how easy it would be to exceed your calorie intake. And you lose weight by being on deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I assume triple triple means you're having at least 3 tbsps of cream and 3 tsps of sugar in each cup (and almost certainly more, it could easily be twice that) - it's not the caffeine but the cream and sugar that is your problem. That is a ton of extra calories, especially if you're not logging them precisely (knowing exactly how much cream and sugar is going into each cup each time.)

Caffeine, if anything, is attributed to a slight increase in metabolism. It's not significant or worth worrying about but it's definitely not going to slow your weight loss.

Cream and sugar in your coffee is fine if you like it but you have to log it and include it in your daily total if you want to track calories properly and lose weight predictably. 3 coffees a day packed with that much cream and sugar could easily be adding an extra 500 calories a day to your intake and that's a ton - for me, that would be like 1/3 of my total maintenance calories on a sedentary day and I would have to skip a meal to account for it. If you're larger/more active it might not be quite that big a hit but it is still substantial.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    *dots Necro Thread Resurrection off MFP BINGO car*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Oh, man. Almost 9 years, whoever revived it is a magician!

I hate falling for these.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Dammit!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Lol, I definitely did not notice that. Holy kitten, that's an old one!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    yes and no. Depends on where you get your caffeine from. If it's from soda (even diet) then yes. Coffee without milk or sugar, then no.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have 1-2 cups of coffee in the afternoon, it tends to curb my hunger/munchies.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Nine years old. This is officially the oldest necro resurrection I've seen.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I wonder what happened to her.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The kids in her profile pic are probably at college now. Time flies.
  • debradonothin
    debradonothin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lol I usually never look at the date....